Kingswear for Dartmouth

Alan

Western Thunderer
I agree with Stephen. According to a very comprehensive article in Great Western Railway Journal (No.25 Winter 1998) Kingswear had only one island platform as to other bits that he implies I have not studied the model track plan to the one on the GWRJ and the multitude of photos in said article. However it a brilliant evocation of the area.

Stephen Freeman

Western Thunderer
I agree with Stephen. According to a very comprehensive article in Great Western Railway Journal (No.25 Winter 1998) Kingswear had only one island platform as to other bits that he implies I have not studied the model track plan to the one on the GWRJ and the multitude of photos in said article. However it a brilliant evocation of the area.
Depending on the era, I think the track plan is wrong in other respects, for instance, photos show a single slip, not a scissors, and I have no evidence for a second Signal Box at least in the period modelled, then there is the railbuilt signal and some questions about some of the others. I could supply photos but I don't have the copyright to do so. It's a brilliant model in all other respects though.

Stephen Freeman

Western Thunderer

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Aside from the deviation from reality apparently, In my view the layout and modelwork show a level of artistry and atmosphere that evokes the golden age of railways and holiday towns. Superb renditions of minor details that are some of the best I have seen.
One is often subjected to the comparisons of reality, which in all fairness to the model builders are actually impossible to replicate in miniature because we cannot scale physics.
What a superb assembly of modelwork this layout represents, it felt like a visit back to the ramblings around the country when I was a boy.

Michael

mpr-s4

View attachment 151327 View attachment 151328 Some further work on Kingswear has taken place. The ‘hard standing’ areas around the turntable and at the other end of the section near the loading wharf and station.
Nigel Smith has been fundamental in creating the colours and textures. I’ve followed his lead at the station and dockside end incorporating the mess from loading and unloading of goods and most importantly coal (still very much a work in progress);View attachment 151329 View attachment 151330
Neil.
I very much like the colour choices - what was the palette for the platforms please?

Last edited:

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
It's very nice but I think something has just jarred with me. The model seems to be much more complicated than the real station ever was.
In reality there was only one island platform, there are other things as well but of course rule 1 always applies but....
Morning Stephen,
You are quite correct and great observation re the track work - or rather extra track work.
I doubt it has been previously mentioned in this thread(?) but the initial concept and track plan of the layout was devised by it’s original owner, Michael Casey. The layout then was part of a larger scheme that included Bodmin General(?) Station. He added the extra trackwork and further platform to facilitate through running between the two layouts.
The new and current owner decided at the time of purchase to keep the unprototypical ‘extra’ piece of the layout for a few reasons I shan’t go into here, but that is why the track layout is as it is on the model.
In truth, the layout plan, regardless of the extra track work and platform is not totally prototypical, but it’s fairly close and Paul W, it’s owner is happy with the model compromises.
From PB’s (Paul Bambrick’s) point of view, his life would’ve been made far easier had the ‘extra’ been done away with before he and I became involved in the scenery work.
Hope this enlightens you as to what’s gone on.
Neil.

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
Another much needed update on Kingswear for WT. The layout is edging ever closer to completion and these latest shots I hope give a flavour of where we’ve got to this far.
First up a weathered Artitec collier - a first for me weathering a boat; first of many no doubt! It has not been sited yet so stands proud of the waterline in the photos. The wonderful quayside cranes built by the master Gordon Gravett.
Thereafter shots of the station and quayside followed by the Britannia Crossing panorama.
Most photos here taken by Nige Smith, a few by me
E3E97B37-56D4-46A4-8B65-25859ED2E112.jpeg
A96F9440-3BD0-4797-938C-579BDFA82E01.jpeg55BBEFD1-6E11-4A6C-B0E4-761AC9222AE9.jpegCECF4BFB-E85E-4EB1-82E6-54CBC68FA9C1.jpegD43373DA-1E12-47AC-8F26-D3442D5C5AE3.jpeg15615048-A3CB-450E-8D9B-68ED41E06C2C.jpeg
A96F9440-3BD0-4797-938C-579BDFA82E01.jpeg55BBEFD1-6E11-4A6C-B0E4-761AC9222AE9.jpegB9AD0719-FC7B-41AE-B1D2-62D976C7BA55.jpeg23D5FC02-11CD-4527-81C6-21F8E2EEEC03.jpeg

Last edited:

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
Thank you both.

Well spotted re the Star loco Roger!
It remains OO gauge and the layout is P4. It’s just been posed for now and is awaiting conversion coupled with detailing, painting and weathering…
Neil.