John’s workbench - a miscellany.

A very steep learning Curve

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
Curve is the new name for the new version of the “leading” vector drawing tool that a) runs on my aging ipad and b) is free. All good. Previously Vectornator I think.

I couldn't get to grips with the previous version but after a semi-sleepless night put to good use and some more hours today I have managed to get this card mockup of what I'm calling Building 9 in my attempt to model Coales Mill in Newport Pagnell to 2mm scale. I've a few good photos, though not enough, so it may mean guesswork, but I'm delighted to have got this far and now it's onward to adding details and the rather interesting not parallel twin ridge6B661C92-A0F0-4DDE-8872-E9D9FA3B692A.jpeg roof.

I'm grateful for all the inspiration I get from this forum and especially to Michael who is building Chandwell. I don't think he is on here (yet) but his YouTube channel is a one of several that keep me going with this.

Cheers
John

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
the arc of progress is on the up as I get to grips with Curve. My pencil and ruler mock-up left and the latest from the iPad on the right. I’ve still I have some unanswered questions about the functionality of Curve and many more about the building itself, but this IS progress! CC12D864-EAB2-4686-A6CF-458F7B70D1E3.jpeg

More grist to the mill

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
Yesterday’s progress: a first guess at building 8 and a coloured block view of 7 and 6 behind. Even in 2mm it’s going to be a large structure. Breaking it down into bits has helped me progress in a less daunted fashion.
The doors and windows on 8 are in need of adjustment, I'm not sure yet if there is a third storey, but the lowest should all be roughly at platform hight as they are served by a siding which allowed wagons to be accesses directly through the openings, no platform was provided.

To add further interest, the whole frontage is curved like a threepenny bit, as is the road behind (Broad St. In Newport Pagnell) but I have little evidence relating to this side so far.

The prototype photo was kindly provided to me by the NPHistorical Society for reference. I've numbered the building left to right so 8 and 9 are the nearest to the camera. It only come obvious from an old aerial view that the 2 ridges of 9 diverge, leaving a flat triangular area between them. The photo is taken from the main station area.

F0987A47-3526-4E08-AF4E-C087D62536E1.jpeg6FBCB506-15AF-432F-BBCD-E2664DE5F2D7.jpeg
Pleased with the general trend so far, I'm learning fast.

On other fronts, some EM wheels arrived today from Wizard, so the minerals can progress further too….

Onwards!

John

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
Not had much time since the last post, but I've tidied up the frontage of building 8 and moved on to building 7.
This building is quite slim, but seems to be rather deep and has an interesting roof line. The single door is at ground level rather than platform level (not there ever was a platform, stuff was simply shovelled straight in or out of the wagons). The back end remains a mystery, I think it has been rebuilt a number of times as the dreaded modernisation occurred, but the back will be at the back, so it can be guessed at until something turns up.

The Linearity Curve tool is working for me, though aspects of it remain unfathomable at present.

89DAED2D-3322-4B1B-B7F1-140A4106FF3E.jpegD074F1E4-998E-4CAF-8DD6-31C8A79DE8E3.jpeg

jonte

Western Thunderer
Coming along nicely, John :thumbs:

Proportionately right and more than just a flavour of the original.

Great start.

Jon

Works in the works

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
Continuing with Gilly’s great idea of trying something bigger, I've been putting together a diorama idea in 4mm these last few weeks, between assorted chores and duties. This is a inspired by the fantastic models of assorted stations and works by Mark, and will provide a parking area for anything I finish in EM. Meantime I've thrown down some old Hornby straights and that's my Grandad’s Dublo class 20 sat in the doorway doing clearance checks. It's about as old as I am.

Today I have been looking hard at these photos and I think the roof layers are too thick, so I'll probably redo them. This is all based on a ScalesScenes low relief kit that I'm deepening? It needs to be dirtier too. I can see a few details that need crisping up and many more to add.

The who thing sits in a plastic box turned upside down, like a cake box, thanks Gilly for that idea again, which is all the space we have at present, so gives me a defined shape to work within. The hope is to have light streaming through the various windows and doorways and plenty of photo ops. I may may some of the roof removable too.

Coales Mill in 2mm is creeping slowly forward too. More on that story later.

BAD175C7-DE04-42DA-A913-1E02776E4035.jpeg784631B7-0F7F-4F92-902E-B259D25D7C4F.jpeg28BA6A19-0C17-4DDA-A5E2-58DD94A18175.jpegCF23C051-CCBA-40C8-B9C8-9F7C6415D870.jpeg

Neighbours cat came to inspect yesterday.
Thanks for looking
John

Last edited:

jonte

Western Thunderer
Continuing with Gilly’s great idea of trying something bigger, I've been putting together a diorama idea in 4mm these last few weeks, between assorted chores and duties. This is a inspired by the fantastic models of assorted stations and works by Mark, and will provide a parking area for anything I finish in EM. Meantime I've thrown down some old Hornby straights and that's my Grandad’s Dublo class 20 sat in the doorway doing clearance checks. It's about as old as I am.

Today I have been looking hard at these photos and I think the roof layers are too thick, so I'll probably redo them. This is all based on a ScalesScenes low relief kit that I'm deepening? It needs to be dirtier too. I can see a few details that need crisping up and many more to add.

The who thing sits in a plastic box turned upside down, like a cake box, thanks Gilly for that idea again, which is all the space we have at present, so gives me a defined shape to work within. The hope is to have light streaming through the various windows and doorways and plenty of photo ops. I may may some of the roof removable too.

Coales Mill in 2mm is creeping slowly forward too. More on that story later.

View attachment 207735View attachment 207736View attachment 207738View attachment 207737

Neighbours cat came to inspect yesterday.
Thanks for looking
John
I recall you mentioning about the increased demands of the day job, John, so a smaller project in the form of a diorama sounds like a sensible decision :thumbs:

In fact, perhaps to spur you on somewhat, why not consider submitting an application for Scalefour’s recent diorama challenge, designed for those of us firmly in your position? In case you’ve not seen it, details can be found here Scalefour Society Jubilee Diorama Project

I think the guy dealing with it is a member of WT: @David B ?

If you don’t receive a reply on the email address provided at Scalefour, you could always email here via a PM.

Apparently, you don’t even need to be a member to enter or a scale modeller. It’s just a stimulus to get some of us enthused once again, but it sounds ideal for those short on time/space for a variety of reasons, just like yourself.

Worth considering? Perhaps.

I like the look of your build thus far: the window reveals especially are neatly done. I don’t get on with these kits despite being careful with the glue. They tend to end up warping too unless you build in layers which ‘thickens’ the finish as you mention in your text, but you look like you know what you’re doing so I’ll say no more :thumbs:

And it’s a great theme too: lots of luvly grime on walls and lintels :thumbs:

Great idea about the ‘light streaming through windows etc. look’, for which I suspect you might need a light box (@Heather Kay might be able to assist here) although I managed a stab at this sort of thing with just my iPad and a gap in the shed’s roof, so perhaps you might not need to go the trouble of building a ‘box’. I’m sure with your scientific background, John, it’s a case of teaching one’s granny here, but just thinking out loud with all of this.

In short, a great start and, equally, idea: will follow and good luck:thumbs:

Jon

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
Thanks for this encouragement Jon, work is proceeding slowly, mostly groundwork at the mo, which is a bit dull for photos. I'll get something done soon though.

The Scalefour competition almost works for me, but the rules state that any stock used must be P4 do that really rules me out, having plumped for EM. I've already slipped and included one road of oo to allow my older stuff to make appearance, adding a P4 road and yet another standard for stock is too far for me right now.

Yes I like the lightbox idea, though the sun works quite well when available! Not today I think, looking out towards the Point of Ayr - a bit dull.

Onwards!

John

jonte

Western Thunderer
Thanks for this encouragement Jon, work is proceeding slowly, mostly groundwork at the mo, which is a bit dull for photos. I'll get something done soon though.

The Scalefour competition almost works for me, but the rules state that any stock used must be P4 do that really rules me out, having plumped for EM. I've already slipped and included one road of oo to allow my older stuff to make appearance, adding a P4 road and yet another standard for stock is too far for me right now.

Yes I like the lightbox idea, though the sun works quite well when available! Not today I think, looking out towards the Point of Ayr - a bit dull.

Onwards!

John

Ah, I see now, John.

I think the use of a diorama/small layout in OO gauge to advertise it has had me confused :oops:

Never mind.

The Sun should serve well your pursuit for atmosphere, John; I think mine was shot early one cloudy morning:

IMG_0954.jpeg

I’m quite familiar with the view out over the Dee towards Wales and the estuary, having held a mooring at Thurstaston and a boat or two in Heswall boat yard several years ago now (what a dump that was! :))). When the rain clouds loomed from the direction of Holywell, we knew we had ten minutes to clear the decks of tools and take cover.

Keep us posted.

Jon

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
at Thurstaston and a boat or two in Heswall boat yard several years ago now (what a dump that was!
Don’t get me started! Actually I rather like the place, it’s full of decay and rotting hulks… The Council have issued notice that ALL vessels dumped should be claimed and removed “or else!” I expect nothing will happen but we’ll see. The birds nest in some of the open cabins now, and the marsh is claiming the whole place, so they should let it rot I think.

My view that way requires that I crane my neck slightly and look out of the bedroom window through many rooftops and trees to see a slither of sea, but we CAN see the lighthouse when the suns on it! The Borderlands line also passes briefly though the view, oh for a 9F on the JSummers train to be repeated now I’m here.

Anyway I have made a smidge of progress today with some paper concrete poured around the oo road and a Dublo wagon to check clearances.
IMG_3822.jpeg

I’ve done a bit more than this, but this this is the best photo.

Cheers for the interest and feedback.
John