James H Work Bench

jhockuk

Western Thunderer
I thought I would start thread to track my progress on building stock for a layout I am planning, which will be a modern steel distribution point.

I am mainly going to be using Cambrian Models kits, as I enjoy building and helps to keep the cost down a bit.

I will be working in 4mm scale to 00 gauge, I have in the past dabbled with P4, but for this project I will stick to 00.

First up a Cambrian BDA.

20221001_174145 by James Hockley, on Flickr

I am trying to represent the wagon as they where later in their life:

This one is pretty basic build, but I will be adding parts to future builds from Stensobs Models.

jhockuk

Western Thunderer
I had a go at creating a steel 'rebar' load for the BDA.

Done using florist wire in bunches.
20221013_195011.jpg

Next up is a pair of SPA'S and BAA.
The bolsters in the SPA are just Balsa but to shape. The coil cradles are from Bulk Scene. I am not happy with the bogies on the BAA so have ordered some brass bogies frames from Stenson Models.

The SPA is on Bill Bedford W irons.

Attachments

• 20221018_213550.jpg
    20221018_213550.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Brilliant solution, is that the finished colour or just the primer? on this side of the pond the rebar is either a hot rolled Iron colour or a translucent greenish colour over the hot rolled .

michael

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
From memory, rebar is steel rounds with a ribbed surface, often with a blue-grey appearance tinged with rust. The prototype photo that is referenced in the previous post looks, to me, to be galvanised steel flats hence not really "rebar!.

regards, Graham

jhockuk

Western Thunderer
You are correct Graham, it was the wrong picture.

This is I think is a "rebar" load. The ribbed surgace would be a pig to replicate in 4mm, but I can spray them to dull them down and add a hint of rust.

simond

Western Thunderer
The second pic is definitely rebar. AFAIK, it is not rust-protected, and is allowed to develop surface corrosion before being used. Any Civils around to confirm or correct?

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Is it an illusion or does the BDA lack buffer heads in this pic?

John

Hi John

They’re OLEO pneumatic buffers - the external moving parts (which you can just make out), are, I believe, made from stainless steel and thus, nice and shiny, compared the buffer bodies. The head will be just out of shot to the left.

Edit: Here's a picture I found on my phone, showing some OLEO buffers fitted to a brake van. Notice how shiny the moving parts (rams?), are, compared to the rest of the brake van!...
IMAG0291.jpg

Regards

Dan

Last edited:

Overseer

Western Thunderer
The second pic is definitely rebar. AFAIK, it is not rust-protected, and is allowed to develop surface corrosion before being used. Any Civils around to confirm or correct?
Not Civil but as architects we were taught that light surface rust is ideal for maximum bond to the concrete.

Simon

Flying Squad
That is a wonderful picture of a brake van Dan, I'm not really a fan of "modern"(!!) liveries but that would make a great subject for a model, even trumping the "burnt out brakeman" trope I think....

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
Hi John

They’re OLEO pneumatic buffers - the external moving parts (which you can just make out), are, I believe, made from stainless steel and thus, nice and shiny, compared the buffer bodies. The head will be just out of shot to the left.

Edit: Here's a picture I found on my phone, showing some OLEO buffers fitted to a brake van. Notice how shiny the moving parts (rams?), are, compared to the rest of the brake van!...
View attachment 172914

Regards

Dan
Of course yes, I can see the mmmmm, shiny part now. Must have been before the coffee kicked in!

cheers
John

jhockuk

Western Thunderer
Next up for the paint shop is an OTA.

This hopefully will be part of rake of OTAs used for a flow from Brandon yard near Ely in 1999.

It uses Bill Bedford W Irons, Stenson spring castings and Lanarkshire Models buffers. It will be finished in a very faded rail freight red.

20221025_230002.jpg

That flow also included a one off OTA:

Which is think I could model based off the Backmann model, but they are silly money at present.

michael mott

Western Thunderer
One last comment about the re bar, and there has been a number of failures in concrete structures because of the expansion caused by the rust, and is why there is a trend to coat the re bar with a protection. It would seem to me that if the ribbing was not enough to key to the concrete one would have to question the system anyway.

jhockuk

Western Thunderer
Not much been happening apart from starting a couple of SPA'S for the steel train.

I am waiting on some more decals before I can move on with them.

Built with a Cambrian kit, Bill Bedford W Irons, Stenson models suspension castings and Lanarkshire Models buffers.

The aim is to paint them to rather dirty and rusty late 90s finish, hence the "pink" rather than bright railfrieght red.

20221130_200142.jpg

20221124_200251.jpg

jhockuk

Western Thunderer
The pink is a mix of various colours, sadly I failed to make note of it. I don't mind if it does not match any future ones as the faded red varied a lot.