Insomnia ?

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
And if you need another 4 hours in bed:
Tell me about it ! I double manned the Scania down to Rimini and back on a special run, don't get me wrong I used enjoy driving the bugger and listening to the tunes the exhaust made whilst going up and down the box, but try sleeping with 14 litres of the Swedes best V8 thumping away underneath you for 9 hours, flat out on the motorway, whilst the other driver sings to the radio to keep himself awake :rolleyes: :)).

Col.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
Trans Acord or whatever the company was called had some good recordings on LP. My fav was Rails to Riccarton. A V2 was so long that often fell asleep before it passed the mic.
I have that on an LP, Larry. Not been able to play it for years but I most certainly remember that V2!

Brian

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
try sleeping with 14 litres of the Swedes best V8 thumping away underneath you for 9 hours, flat out on the motorway,
12 years of HGV night driving taught me that dozing off to the sounds of an engine was NOT a good idea!! :confused:
I was always on my own though, apart from Xmas & New Year Eves when we'd often double-man even the shorter trunks so we'd finish before midnight. :)

Osgood

Western Thunderer
how do you know it doesn't?? :D
:)) Well I did skip forward twice sampling, and concluded it must have been made up on a fairly short loop because there is no apparent variation.
The Cummins one? Not sayin’………(I did listen to the very end and was very disappointed that it just faded out instead of stopping!).

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
Trans Acord or whatever the company was called had some good recordings on LP. My fav was Rails to Riccarton. A V2 was so long that often fell asleep before it passed the mic.

The firm was Argo Transacord. From Discogs: "1961 to 1980, Sub-Label of the Argo label formed by an agreement between Argo and Transacord Ltd and backed by Decca, devoted to field recordings of railway engines".

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
That's the one, Richard. The sound engineer for many, if not all the recordings (and I can't remember whether that includes the Railway to Riccarton LP) was Peter Handford whom I got to know quite well in a professional capacity. He was a gifted sound recordist and worked on a considerable number of feature films for which he was honoured with, among others, a BAFTA.

We had some interesting conversations, of course, but I lost contact with him as I did with nearly all my colleagues and clients when I retired. After all, when you have an absorbing professional interest who wants to be "yesterday's man"?

Brian

Last edited:

Osgood

Western Thunderer
I don’t think the railway one would work for me (I hope I don’t ever get to need anything - it can be a big problem for some folk) and the Cummins one would drive me up the wall, but - a Gardner 5LW ticking over? Well now……

simond

Western Thunderer
If anyone really wants a pair of 306 HP Volvo TAMD 61s, I can do a recording at the weekendm but I can't promise not to talk over it...

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
12 years of HGV night driving taught me that dozing off to the sounds of an engine was NOT a good idea!! :confused:
I was always on my own though, apart from Xmas & New Year Eves when we'd often double-man even the shorter trunks so we'd finish before midnight. :)
That Rimini run was one of only two trips I've driven double manned, and I think the thought of the younger less experienced driver with me trashing my Scanny's gearbox was more likely to keep me awake than anything else ! :))
The problem I found with European and UK tramping, to a certain extent, was that we didn't have a consistent day or night shift, sort of half and half. This had a bad consequence of f*****g your body clock up !, with sleep always looked forward to but not all ways obtained :rolleyes: