Full Size Info books

Western Thunderer
Ive just taken delivery of this book...

Pictorial. Last loco hauled trains since 1971.jpg

There's some really good pictures in this book :thumbs:.

& West Midland Rails in the 1980's...

West Mids Rail 1980\'s.JPG

Picked up from ebay this week, total of £10 inc p+p :thumbs:

Steve :cool:

ZiderHead

Western Thunderer
My brother handed me a slim giftwrapped package last week with a grin and a "Happy Birthday!".

Rather strange since my birthday was in March ... but inside was an immaculate copy of John Vaughan's Diesels on the Western - result! :D Lots of nice pics and inspiration in there, plenty of freight and engineer's trains.

3867011_orig.jpg

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
On the subject of books... what is a reasonable price to pay, at the moment, for a vgc copy of Harris's book on the Mk2 carriages?

thank you, Graham

daifly

Western Thunderer
At the risk of sounding trite, it's whatever you're prepared to pay. I bought one recently for £30 including postage but I see that you could be expected to pay substantially more via Alibris or Amazon Marketplace.

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
I'm afraid I'm used to paying for professional text books at over £100 a time. £30 for a well produced book that gives hours of pleasure rather than headaches seems a bargain.

Richard

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
On the subject of books... what is a reasonable price to pay, at the moment, for a vgc copy of Harris's book on the Mk2 carriages?

thank you, Graham

£22. Amazon have still got a couple of new ones in stock (mine arrived earlier this week). Points above about Amazon are noted, but I couldn't find another retailer who had a copy under £45...

Steph

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
Please provide an URL for this book/price.

Sorry for the false alarm, I was too late. I just tried the page I bought mine from it's now listed as out of stock. Mind you, they'll happily sell you a second-hand one for £88...

Steph

Bob

Western Thunderer
Second-hand book prices are at a low at the moment with many previously scarce titles appearing at very reasonable prices if you look in the right place. I have no connection with the shop (other than as a very satisfied customer) but check out Nevis Books in Marlborough. Run by Neville Bridger (who also has other outlets) it has a huge collection. On my last trip (4 weeks ago) I secured "Countryside & Coalfield" (OPC about the GW Radstock line for £15, GW Wagons Appendix for £14 and Wild Swan's "Bewdley & Tenbury Railway" for a mere £16.
Amazon Marketplace is/was quoting a ridiculous £50 for the "Countryside & Coalfield" one alone!
A friend in the trade has resorted to "Bogoff" (buy one get one free) at book fairs and that's for quality stuff.
Whilst in Marlborough it is mandatory to pop across the road to The Lamb for the best kept 6X in the area.....trouble is after that you go back into the shop to buy more:headbang:.

daifly

Western Thunderer
I would completely endorse Bob's suggestion of Neville's bookshops. The Marlborough one is where I lose myself for an hour on most Friday mornings while Mrs DF is doing the Waitrose bit. See here for details of opening hours.

I managed to pick up a number of rare and OOP copies of R.A.Cooke's Track Layouts books this morning.

Edit (Sept 2014) to note that this bookshop has now closed at this location.