7mm If A 7mm Scale Model Of "falcon" Were Avaiable...

D

D7093

Or you could sell 80 kits at £250 each... or is that too simplistic? .... the only question being, would double the number of people be likely to buy said kit at the cheaper price, than at the more expensive...?
You would have to take into account extra materials and labour, so you would have to sell 80 kits at say £300 -350 mark, or 100 kits at £250.

But yes I like your thinking:thumbs:

D

D7093

So if I doubled the prices of my own products would they be different kits or better kits because of the price increase? That seems to be the logic of what you saying. It costs me X to box an 08 kit so I sell it for Y + VAT = a very decent mark up - so why sell it for more?

David Parkins
In peoples eyes they would probably be perceived as better kits if you doubled the price:confused: But then you would sell a lot less:D

Trevor.

djparkins

Western Thunderer
Same kits but perceived differently. Classic example being Apple products, they could sell them for a lot less but people are prepared to pay for the perceived benefits and the brand

I'm still confused!

So if our Mk.1 coach kits, which as I understand the general feedback, are perceived as probably about the best coach kits on the market, were more in cost, then they'd be even better. Its not really for me to say, but while we are 'perceiving' things - the perception I have is that our kits are already perceived as being of very good quality - thats of course if I am perceiving things correctly!

If a manufacturer is making a good mark up on each kit then why hike/hype the price? Its not necessary and alienates customers - especially in times of economic woe like these.

DJP

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
This discussion is getting close to an old music phrase... "it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave"...

28ten

Guv'nor
I'm still confused!

So if our Mk.1 coach kits, which as I understand the general feedback, are perceived as probably about the best coach kits on the market, were more in cost, then they'd be even better. Its not really for me to say, but while we are 'perceiving' things - the perception I have is that our kits are already perceived as being of very good quality - thats of course if I am perceiving things correctly!

DJP
They wouldn't be better kits, but generally consumers tend to equate higher prices with better products/quality and that if something costs less then it will be of lesser quality.

If a manufacturer is making a good mark up on each kit then why hike/hype the price? Its not necessary and alienates customers - especially in times of economic woe like these.

I wouldn't disagree. Im just giving the textbook reason for higher pricing. :) in the end the consumer votes with the wallet.

JimG

Western Thunderer
They wouldn't be better kits, but generally consumers tend to equate higher prices with better products/quality and that if something costs less then it will be of lesser quality.

I remember in my business some years ago designing and building a new sound dubbing suite which would allow me to charge much lower rates than those that were current at the time (using new, much less expensive, gear which was as good if not better technically). I set the rate at £75 per hour when the norm was £125+ and I calculated a good margin with 50% occupancy. No takers!! In the end we set the rate at £125 and let them haggle us down to £100 - 110, and we got more than enough work into the studio. :)

Jim.

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
mmm some customers would, then again some of us can think for ourselves ;)

alcazar

Or you could sell 80 kits at £250 each... or is that too simplistic? .... the only question being, would double the number of people be likely to buy said kit at the cheaper price, than at the more expensive...?

I would already have the Western and the Peak, if they were sensibly priced.

alcazar

I find the choice of a Clayton far more baffling than their pricing model :))

Me too........has it anything to do with the fact that Laurie is a Scot, and Claytons were found mainly in Scotland?

If that's the reason, it's shameful.

D

D7093

Me too........has it anything to do with the fact that Laurie is a Scot, and Claytons were found mainly in Scotland?

If that's the reason, it's shameful.
In 1972 8598 ran light engine all the way from Longsight or possibly Derby (can't remember which now) to Swindon Works, picked up a test coach possibly "Hermes" and returned North a few hours later.

So no excuses for not having a Clayton running alongside your Hymek's and Western's:eek:

D

D7093

I'm still confused!

DJP
I don't know if people are fooled into thinking higher prices equals higher quality, or its just snobbery. I guess its a bit of both and certain people are willing to pay twice the price, just because the item is made by XYZ and they are proud to let you know, even though you know its no better than the cheaper brand.

I think if manufacturers make their normal mark up, then to me its not a problem.

If a manufactures kits were half the price, a few people would feel its not the best out there, I would probably see it as better VFM. We could say for example if a kit was halved in price that it was a bargain, but if that kit was introduced from new at the lower price, some people would still argue its too expensive or not the best. On the other side if you have a sale or reduce your prices, Its amazing how many people suddenly rush out to buy, human nature I guess!

Don't forget their is also some expensive rubbish out there, but I think most of us who've been modelling a while are soon able to separate the tat from the quality stuff;)