Hornby class 25 motor bogie fault

Allen M

Western Thunderer
Hello all
Help me please. I have a request from a very good friend (so can't say no) to get a Hornby class 25 running for his 6 & 8 year old grand kids. This is very old I think Lima origin but marked Hornby England.
Problem the motor is dead, was ceased and is open circuit. Now how to fix things
1st - there is a add on eBay for a replacement motor with fixing bracket that is supposed to be easy to install, does anyone know please.
2nd - replace the bogie with one from a DMU or similar altering the chassis to suit.

Getting a 'new' engine, not a funny old fashioned one working is what the kids want, so 'scale' correct is not as important as reliable play value.

Regards
Allen002.JPG001.JPG

Last edited:

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Hello all
Help me please. I have a request from a very good friend (so can't say no) to get a Hornby class 25 running for his 6 & 8 year old grand kids. This is very old I think Lima origin but marked Hornby England.
Problem the motor is dead, was ceased and is open circuit. Now how to fix things
1st - there is a add on eBay for a replacement motor with fixing bracket that is supposed to be easy to install, does anyone know please.
2nd - replace the bogie with one from a DMU or similar altering the chassis to suit.

Getting a 'new' engine, not a funny old fashioned one working is what the kids want, so 'scale' correct is not as important as reliable play value.

Regards
AllenView attachment 163998View attachment 163999

Hi Allen.

This is a Hornby model maybe late 70s, early 80s. Not Lima at all.

I would forget ebay for now and contact Lendons of Cardiff. They hold vast stocks of Hornby spares and unlike Peters Spares, Lendons pricing is appropriate. There can be quite a difference between the two shops.

Lendons website, though a bit slow, does list all available and in stock spares.

Rob.

Allen M

Western Thunderer
Hello Rob
Thanks for the reply. The loco is now sorted. Someone (not my friend he got it S/H none runner) has had a bodge at it. However a spot of oil, a clean of the commutator, refit the un-powered bogie wheels to right way and new brushes & springs and it runs well.
Having lost one spring flying off to who knows where I looped a bit of very thin cotton through, about 1/2 way up to keep it in check which worked.

Regards
Allen