Homemade Rivet Setting Tool

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Those of you familiar with pressing out rivets especially on metal kits will know that the action of the formation of the rivet has a tendency to distort the metal slightly usually resulting a in a slight curl or wave along the line of rivets. Like those below

54076635675_4fcde31305_b.jpg

In between applying paint to some wagons I also picked up another unfinished model which I initially was going to cheat one but decided against it and as a result needed a number of riveted strips with rivets at various different spacings. The rivets were pressed along the edge of a sheet of 0.25mm (10 thou) nickel sheet with my Leakey Rivet press and then cut of with the guillotine. it's a very satisfying process but as described it does leave the rivet strips with a bit of a curl.

Until today I have for a number of years 'set' the rivets using some jewellers stone setting tools after seeing the technique demonstrated on by Peter Dunn (@P A D ).

54076161039_7d7a5fceb6_b.jpg

These are two of the set which I use most often and I have fitted semi permanent (bonded with loctite 638) handles to them. As they come they have a wooden handle with a collet nut that allows you to change the size. To use them press out your rivets then place on a firm surface and go over them with the tool placing it over each rivet and a small tap with a light hammer sets the rivet and the surrounding metal.

This is fine and as I say I have used the method for a number of years the only minor downside is that the dome in the end of the tool is quite shallow and I have had it squash the rivets sometimes and the edge is quite reasonably sharp so if you don't get it quite vertical it can leave a slight half moon mark around the rivet.

While pressing out rivets this morning it struck me that a few minutes on the lathe could improve upon the tool.

54075836866_06965cc5a3_b.jpg

54075836876_44273c73f9_b.jpg

Using more of the steel rod recovered from waste toner cartridges I faced off the end and then having measured my most used rivet size I drilled a .93mm hole in the end of the rod and then turned it down to allow a flat bottom to not cut into the sheet but narrow enough to allow passing between close fitting lines of rivets.
I have recently made a second punch for my rivet press to allow the slightly bigger rivets on Connoisseur kits to be punched more accurately so I made a second 'rivet set' to set those. That has a 1.3mm hole in it. The recycled printer rods machine lovely but I have noted a tendency to rust where they have been machined so I heated the machined ends to blacken them in oil.

Last edited:

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
I have tried to improvise this sort of tool with a hollow ground nail punch, without achieving anything useful. I wonder, should we be annealing brass before embossing rivets, especially on narrow strips of metal?

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
I have tried to improvise this sort of tool with a hollow ground nail punch, without achieving anything useful. I wonder, should we be annealing brass before embossing rivets, especially on narrow strips of metal?

I think that annealing it might make the distortion even worse Richard. Riveting strips is much easier if you rivet along the edge of a sheet and then cut it off. The difficulty with riveting a thin strip is keeping the rivets running in a straight line.

The material you make the setting punch from doesn't need to be hardened, indeed I suspect you might even make one from brass or nickel rod without issue, because you don't need to hit it hard to reset the rivet.

Mikemill

Western Thunderer
To avoid distortion when forming rivets in a thin narrow strip, punch the rivets first then cut the strip.

Instead of raising the bridge you lower the river!!!

Mike