Hologram passengers in coaches?

Focalplane

Western Thunderer
A bit of a stretch here, but long journeys by car across France can induce a “creative spark”.

I noticed that the royal carriage on Sunday’s procession had a hologram of the Queen. After about 600 kilometers of autoroutes I came upon the idea that passengers might be created as holograms within coaches, and could be switched on and off according to whether of not passengers should be on the train.

I know nothing about holograms, but would such a concept be possible, even if expensive?

Paul

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Brilliant idea - I keep thinking about a ‘working’ gas cutter for the scrapyard scene, started out with ideas based on fibre optics but maybe there is a better way.

And I must confess I have had a few Arnold Rimmer days recently :rolleyes:

Mike Trice

Western Thunderer
Most "Holograms" are really Pepper's Ghosts but the term seems to appeal even if incorrect. The new "Abbatars" are actually Pepper's Ghosts not holograms.

Oz7mm

Western Thunderer
Some time ago I saw a YouTube (?) video with hologram figures getting in and out of the coaches. The coach doors opened and closed and I think it was Marklin Gauge 1 equipment. A bit of googling failed to find it though.

John

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
This is an interesting idea, but the question arises of how the hardware would fit into most UK outline model coaches. Perhaps the main gubbins in a brake end, with the mirror/prism in the passenger area.

A fun idea, but I would think highly impractical overall.

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
I read an article a few weeks ago in (I think), the Scalefour News.

The guy had need a need to densely populate some of his suburban carriages and did so, with the aid of two-dimensional (cardboard?), cut-outs, with each side of the "figures", being a mirror image of the other.

I can't remember where the figures originated from now, though they may have been scanned (and scaled), from various magazines, or images on the internet.

I have to say, I think they were pretty convincing!

Regards

Dan

Max M

Western Thunderer
Some years ago I saw this done in the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam. It was in a sectioned wooden ship and depicted the crew even down to one person sitting on the toilet.

simond

Western Thunderer
This is an interesting idea, but the question arises of how the hardware would fit into most UK outline model coaches. Perhaps the main gubbins in a brake end, with the mirror/prism in the passenger area.

A fun idea, but I would think highly impractical overall.

I could imagine a piece of glass at 45 degrees to the horizontal, with suitable LED screens on the coach floor. Turn the screens on, the images would reflect through the windows. BUT they’d be too bright, I feel, you’d expect the inside of a coach to be darker than a day-lit exterior.

I’m sticking with el-cheapo packets of 1:48 plastic people from China, and dim, but permanently-on lighting inside the coaches, hopefully they’ll look lit in the dark, and not really lit in daytime…. And if I park them in carriage sidings, I can switch off the track.