Hobbyhorse workbench-Finney A4

Hobbyhorse

Western Thunderer
I've been putting off making these handrail knobs for a while, one of those fiddly jobs that's taken a couple of days, but it's another job ticked off the list on the Darent build. The starting point is some 2.5mm brass balls, a jig to hold them, and nickel silver rod and some washers.
Simon

IMG_2895.JPG IMG_2896.JPG IMG_3694.JPG IMG_2899.JPG IMG_2901.JPG IMG_2907.JPG IMG_2898.JPG

Hobbyhorse

Western Thunderer
For future builds in 16mm scale I'm going to use a flange profile that's closer to the slaters one, this is more acceptable than the slightly courser profile used on a majority of rtr locos and wagons. I obtained a couple of form tools one that's close to the slaters profile and the other that matches the accucraft one. The good thing with the slaters profile is it can be used on the outside line that uses peco SM32 and our indoor layout that has finer track standards. Tested both tools and happy with the results. My Darent models used a profile that's close to scale, which unfortunately prevents it from running on SM32 track.
Simon
IMG_3263.JPG IMG_3264.JPG IMG_3261.JPG IMG_3262.JPG

Hobbyhorse

Western Thunderer
For a change this week I did a bit of work on this A4. I was given the loco only in a part built state by a good friend who sadly passed away shortly afterwards, he was a very talented engineer and model maker who is very much missed.
So the build is progressing with most of the loco completed, the attention now turns to the Tender which I've done a few mods to the basic chassis.

Simon

IMG_4291 (1).jpg IMG_4255.jpg IMG_4284.jpg IMG_4285.jpg IMG_4286.jpg IMG_4288.jpg IMG_4289.jpg

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
Lovely looking loco, are you putting pick ups on the loco as well or relying on the tender only?

Martyn.

OzzyO

Western Thunderer
Is that copper tube that you have used for the tender bearings. Or phos. bronze?

Also what is to stop them rotating with the axles?

If I'm using a tube bearing I always drill a hole or two in them for lubrication.

OzzyO.

Hobbyhorse

Western Thunderer
Is that copper tube that you have used for the tender bearings. Or phos. bronze?

Also what is to stop them rotating with the axles?

If I'm using a tube bearing I always drill a hole or two in them for lubrication.

OzzyO.
Yes this one uses copper, as it was to hand and the correct diameter, but I've also used brass and phosphor bronze. It's drilledout to allowing free movement of the axle, not sloppy but with a small amount of lubricant, ISO 100 hydraulic oil which over the year I've not had any issues.
The weight of the tender stops the sleeves from rotating.

Simon

Last edited: