Hello from Kent

I am Dawn, at present building a fully monochrome exhibition layout which should be ready for the Woolwich show in Dec. I am a writer/broadcaster and love doing video blogs of model railway shows and interviewing interesting people from our hobby. Here is one of my video blogs from the recent Gravesend Show. Off to Warley this Saturday

jonte

Western Thunderer
I am Dawn, at present building a fully monochrome exhibition layout which should be ready for the Woolwich show in Dec. I am a writer/broadcaster and love doing video blogs of model railway shows and interviewing interesting people from our hobby. Here is one of my video blogs from the recent Gravesend Show. Off to Warley this Saturday

Hi Dawn and welcome to WT.

Plenty of material to view I see, so thanks for sharing.

I’d like to have a bash at making a video for YT but no idea which, or even how to operate an appropriate, Video editor in order to make one (a freebie and one for technophobes would be ideal :thumbs:).

The one I’ve made thus far- just for attaching here on WT - was unedited and made for an extremely boring watch; I couldn’t even work out which category for ‘model trains’ I was supposed to send it to. Consequently, it’s somewhere out there in the ether; no idea where …….

I wont be upfront on camera like your good self as I’ve a face for radio, as the saying goes, so would just insert a brief narrative as I went, however, if you could point me in the right direction I’d be extremely grateful. That said, if it’s too hard………:(

Btw: there is an exhibition layout out there somewhere I’ve seen on YT - a port scene of some sort with sailing boats - that’s been done in B&W that some other kind soul here might be able to point you in the direction of. I just can’t find it at present.

Anyway, welcome and good luck with the exhibition. Will enjoy watching the vid :thumbs:

Jon

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
at present building a fully monochrome exhibition layout

Hi Dawn! Welcome to WT from another Kentish member (or is it Member of Kent? I always forget which way round that works!).

A monochrome layout sounds brilliant. It’s an idea I had years ago, when idly dreaming about layout ideas. I hope i might get to see it properly when it’s done.

GrahamMc

Western Thunderer
I’d like to have a bash at making a video for YT but no idea which, or even how to operate an appropriate, Video editor
I spend a lot of time making videos and after some research I chose Shotcut. It's free and will do HD. Most Windows systems have a video editing capability but I wanted something better. You'll have to check your computer's specification to make sure you can run Shotcut but there's plenty of tutorials on YouTube. HTH.

Last edited:

jonte

Western Thunderer
I spend a lot of time making videos and after some research I chose Shotcut. It's free and will do HD. Most Windows systems have a video editing capability but I've just preferred something better. You'll have to check your computer's specification to make sure you can run Shotcut but there's plenty of tutorials on YouTube. HTH.

Thanks Graham for your prompt response.

Will check it out, but have to admit my laptop’s unbelievably slow these days and I’ve no plans to update as there’s not much call these days for a PC for this retiree, so I’ll need one to work with an iPad :thumbs:

Have endured many of the ‘How Toos’ available, and please believe me when I say it was an endurance :(

Cheers,

Jon

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
I use 'Kdenlive' which is free. It's a program I found impossible to use by just exploring the menus and buttons, but half an hour with a "how to" on YouTube got me started very well. Rendering HD on an Intel i3 processor takes twice as long as the finished film, which forces concentration during editing.

jonte

Western Thunderer
There’s one built in called iMovie. If you use the tablet to record the video it’s easy. If you want to use a "proper" video camera, that’s quite a bit harder.
I’m liking very much the use of the word ‘easy’, Heather.

Popping straight over there after popping coins in the meter :thumbs:

Thanks,

Jon

simond

Western Thunderer
Hi Dawn! Welcome to WT from another Kentish member (or is it Member of Kent? I always forget which way round that works!).

A monochrome layout sounds brilliant. It’s an idea I had years ago, when idly dreaming about layout ideas. I hope i might get to see it properly when it’s done.
And another, though I’m more “of Merseyside” than Kentish, a blow-in some 30 years ago.

apparently, those born west of the Medway are “Kentish”, and East are “of Kent”.

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
And another, though I’m more “of Merseyside” than Kentish, a blow-in some 30 years ago.

apparently, those born west of the Medway are “Kentish”, and East are “of Kent”.

and I am 20 years in the other way.................................... 'of Kent'