Hello from Auckland

Philip

I have been in the MR hobby for five years and I am interested in several scales including HO, S, G and G3. I very recently paid my membership fee for the G3S and I am waiting confirmation that I am a member.

My goal for G3 is modest. I plan building a modular, indoor layout about 20 feet long. I will likely follow an existing modular standard such as Ian Turner's C3 standard..

I will be keeping an eye on the costs, that is one reason for the modest start. I anticipate I will handlay my track, have a small number of rolling stock units, with the simpler units being scratchbuilt and the more complicated units being kits if they are available.

I am interested in broad gauge but may stick to standard gauge since BG G3 seems to have a very limited following.

I would appreciate hearing from other G3 modellers in New Zealand.

Philip
Auckland

Mike W

Western Thunderer
Great to see yet another G3 supporter on here Philip. G3BG seems to be supported by about three people(!), but that's no reason why you shouldn't do it. I'm not in NZ, but happy to chat G3 all day if you wish!

Mike

Philip

Thanks Mike. Making or modifying an existing locomotive for BGG3 will prove an interesting challenge for me! I was raised on sheep farms of 1,000 to 2,000 acres and had some practical knowledge at one point. However, n years as a professional mathematician have put pay to that.

Philip

adrian

Flying Squad
:) :) On a more serious note, I have not received notification I am a member.

Philip
Sorry about that - we try to keep things lighthearted on here. Anyway on a more serious note my understanding is that @lankytank is the G3S membership secretary so if he say's you are in then you are sorted. :thumbs: Notification may be delayed as he has a number of other enterprises to keep him busy but I'm sure he get it sorted.

lankytank

Western Thunderer
OK Philip, as of 15:59 BST last Sunday, membership number 791 was issued against your name...... :thumbs::thumbs: :D:D

Initial communication is subject to the vagaries of the snail mail system but an envelope left me on Monday morning.

G3S members are a bit thin on the ground, down there. You've got another member in Auckland & one over the water on the South Island at Picton - and that's it......

Anyway, apols for conducting society business on WT, chaps - but at least it lightened the conversation a little, Adrian, thank you...

Philip, welcome to the G3S & WT

Philip

OK Philip, as of 15:59 BST last Sunday, membership number 791 was issued against your name...... :thumbs::thumbs: :D:D

Initial communication is subject to the vagaries of the snail mail system but an envelope left me on Monday morning.

G3S members are a bit thin on the ground, down there. You've got another member in Auckland & one over the water on the South Island at Picton - and that's it......

Anyway, apols for conducting society business on WT, chaps - but at least it lightened the conversation a little, Adrian, thank you...

Philip, welcome to the G3S & WT

Thanks very much. Two other New Zealand members is two more than another MR organisation I belong to.

Philip