Hello all - modern image newbie

FH47331

Hi all,
Well a friend of mine who looks on here, but not sure he's a member suggested it was a good place to join when I promptly announced I was going to look at S Scale modelling with a twist!

I enjoy many of the scales from 2mm up to 7mm (and would look at 16mm live steam if I had the money!) but while 4mm is good, 7mm is just a bit too big for me. I love the presence of the models, but decent train lengths need a barn! So I am going to look at S Scale. I have never scratch built before, but the past couple of years I have been hankering more and more to have a go.

Most S Scale layouts I have seen or read about have been steam era, but I am going to go against that vein and look at modern image - well 1987-1993'ish period anyway, eventually with a layout based around a steelworks and exchange sidings is the medium term thought. First task tho is to build a BDA steel wagon from scratch and see how I get on. Hopefully, it may interest a few people - and I would welcome thoughts, comments and suggestions. Not sure if I should post what I am doing in the workbench area (as it probably will be just workbench related for 8-12 months) or in the S Scale forum, but that seems more for layouts?

Anyway, having grown up in Lincolnshire, no doubt the steelworks at Scunthorpe have played a big role, so we will see what happens.

Richie

JimG

Western Thunderer
I will watch your progress with interest. I don't think I can remember anyone modelling British railways post steam in S. :) You won't find many suitable aids to scratchbuilding available but you might want to consider etching or 3D printing to help you. There are a good few threads on here covering etch artwork. I find that 3D printing requires mastery of a 3D CAD package to generate files - operating the printer is comparatively easy. :)

Jim.

FH47331

Thanks Jim,
I am not sure if the fact that others cannot remember a post BR steam S Scale model is a good thing or not, but it certainly seems to bring me into the different category that I was looking for. Still slow and steady, we will see how I progress!

Thanks for the pointers on etch artwork, that will be useful I think. I have some basic Drawing skills in 2D, so hopefully they may translate to 3D.

Richie

JimG

Western Thunderer
Richie,

I used the PDFs from Hollywood Foundry when I started drawing etch artwork and they proved very useful to learn the basics :-

http://www.hollywoodfoundry.com/Docs/Etch Drawing Preparation for Model Etch.pdf
http://www.hollywoodfoundry.com/docs/introduction to metal etching.pdf
http://www.hollywoodfoundry.com/Docs/Metal Etching Principles and Rules.pdf
http://www.hollywoodfoundry.com/Docs/Etch Drawing Preparation.pdf

You could also find that the company you choose to do your etching has instructions and recommendations for artwork on their web site which is worth following since you might get charged more setup charges if they have to modify your files to suit their processes.

I have used PPD for etching that that has worked out well for me.

Home

Jim.

FH47331

Thanks Jim,
Those PDFs will be useful, and I had not seen them before. It was my thought to use PPD to create a detailing etch, as they seem to be an organisation that is well used by railway modellers and kit companies.

I am also looking for a company that can create small brass casting sprees from a 3D master. I know Shapeways can do it, but the cost of their postage and timescales, makes me think it is a high cost for little return, and that there must be a UK company that can achieve the same end result - failing that it may just be a case of 3D printing things. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?

If things work out ok, as I hope they will, then a little way down the road I have also thought about investing in one of the GW Models rivet presses, as they seem be ultra reliable and well built, from everything I have read.

Richie

JimG

Western Thunderer
I am also looking for a company that can create small brass casting sprees from a 3D master. I know Shapeways can do it, but the cost of their postage and timescales, makes me think it is a high cost for little return, and that there must be a UK company that can achieve the same end result - failing that it may just be a case of 3D printing things. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?

Slaters do lost wax casting and it is excellent quality. They actually do the brass chair sprue for the SSMRS and actually use the plastic sprue and burn that out. Otherwise I think people go looking at the jewellery trade where there are many lost wax casters - loads around the Birmingham area.

Jim.

JimG

Western Thunderer
I found pictures of the Class 45 in the SSMRS web site - made by David Wright :-
S Scale Model Railway Society Gallery 12

Jas Millham also models diesels and here is his Class 15 hiding away on his new Abbey Street layout :-
http://www.s-scale.org.uk/Abbey_Street_1.JPG

There was also a batch of etches of a Class 08 - scaled up from the MOK 4mm etch - and there are a few of them around, as well as some of the smaller shunters.

I think the problem with modern diesels is that a lot of them have very complex body shapes and glazing which would be the very devil to scratchbuild by traditional methods. But the advent of affordable resin 3D printers has provided a possible way round that, the only problem being getting a sufficient grasp of a 3D CAD package to produce the files. :)

Jim.

Last edited:

FH47331

@JimG @AJC Thanks for those pointers, that 45 really does look superb. I am not sure I can get anywhere near that quality, but I am determined to have a good go :)

Thanks also for the tip about Slaters and the Jewellery industry. I didn't know Slaters did lost wax castings, so that could be very useful.

Richie