Heljan Inspection Saloon announced

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Heljan have today announced that they are to produce an Inspection Saloon

01221cb8-4e4e-4c81-b99a-a050c08fa088.jpeg

Not as you would expect the ex LMS Diagram D2046 prototype, but the very small class of five to BR diagram 1/550, yet they are producing twelve different liveries and using both ex LMS and BR B4 bogies, to get anywhere near the right model for the right livery, at least three different body styles are needed.

Needless to say I await with baited breath for further announcements and see if Heljan change the habit of a lifetime and listen to and act upon comments made from the modelling fraternity.

P1000903.JPG

one I did earlier!

regards

Mike

Stephen

Western Thunderer
Does the prototype vehicle share a ‘common underframe’ with any other LMS coach? I wonder whether Heljan would contemplate offering any other LMS coaching stock in the future?

LarryG

Western Thunderer
They will probably all need some modellers attention if a correct coach for a particular era is required. Detail changes include ends, axlebox covers, roof detail, window configuration etc etc. I will want one when I see the BR blood & custard version(!)

Regarding the 50' coach chassis, the LMS also used it under their parcels van and kitchen car but with different detailing of course.

The LMS bogies would be darn useful if sold as accessories!

Stephen

Western Thunderer
The LMS 50ft Parcels Van could be an interesting option - were still I use up to the 80s so would have quite a long lifespan to cover various eras of modelling.
Cheers,

Stephen

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Two kitchen cars were in fact converted to Inspection Saloons under BR Diag 1/551

P1000931.JPG
both sides - one needing no work and the other after a 'cut and shuffle' exercise on two side etches
IMG_20180905_152119.JPG
now joined and ready for primer
P1010134.JPG
inside view of end showing the original LMS Diag D2046 on the left and the revised BR Diag 1/551 on the right Prior to cleaning up. This is also required for the BR Diag 1/550. The side elevation changes can be seen in the first post - window/window/door as opposed to window/door/window of the original LMS Diag D2046.

It shows what Heljan are up against if they choose to use only one body mould to produce all of what they list on their release information.

regards

Mike