Hartley Hill The Other Side Of The Fence

Tony West

Western Thunderer
It would appear that I've waisted my time building the WC as apparently thet weren't fitted until the 1950s shame as it did add something to the model
John, I've just come across a couple of photos dated 1898 / 1900 in books that show the 'facilities ' in situ !!. One is the cover photo on the LNWRS journal Dec 2013 !!.

john lewsey

Western Thunderer
image.jpg it's here again it may be that Hartley hill may possibly be making its first public appearance next year so I'll have to pull my finger out and get this (and some other things ) finished .

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
John,

I have looked back through the photos of constructing the signal box and I cannot see any detail of how the roof covering is done - so, how are the slates represented on the model?

john lewsey

Western Thunderer
image.jpg hi Graham does the roof look right
This model has been sitting around on the bench for a very long time I just had to Finnish the roof so I googled GWR cattle wagons and found a lovely photo of one of theses on RM Webb good job too as I was going to put ordinary rain strips on a quick call to Graham just to confirm things
John

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
John,

The wagon roof is just as I would expect for a wagon which was built with a steel roof. The grey looks good. I shall dig out the running numbers for this Lot.

john lewsey

Western Thunderer
I've just been looking at a photo on RM and realised that there are some doors missing from the top Centre I'll have to find the box .Graham would these wagons have screw couplings or three link
John
;)

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Graham would these wagons have screw couplings or three link?
Interesting question and the answer is not what might be expected.

Generally the GWR used either Instanter or Screw couplings for cattle wagons with a preference of Instanter for unfitted and Screw for fitted wagons... although there are photos of the unfitted "Large" cattle wagons with screw couplings. The "Small" cattle wagons were unfitted throughout their life and could be seen with three link couplings when built or with screw couplings later in life - livery details in photos suggest that the change may be from circa 1904.

As to running numbers, the Small cattle wagons were built on GWR Old Series Lot 433, circa 1888, nos. 38101-38200 with no. 38101 used for an experimental wagon (cannot be built from the kit).

john lewsey

Western Thunderer
image.jpgthis coach turned up today the reason I'm actually going to build a GWR coach is that I have a photo of a precursor pulling a train of LNWR Arc roof coaches with a GWR through coach behind the loco so my intention was to replicate this train as closely as possible but in 1900 instead of the 1920s as the photo I have depicts .there is a lovely photo of a slaters coach on RM web under Wenlocks blog
It's worth a look and as I'm going to paint this myself I hope to get as close to the lovely Finnish that he has achieved (I hope) in fact all of his work is stunning .This is all because I'd like to have working that May have well worked in the Birmingham area if Hartley Hill does make it's appearance next year as Hartley Hill is supposed to be in that area
Here's hoping
John

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
John,

Might I suggest a call to a local glass merchants for an 18" x 12" slab of plate glass (at least 1/4" thick)? it really makes assembly of the sides and roofs of Slater's carriages a breeze...

My Maunsell carriages use an inverted 'T' shape to strengthen the roofs and I build down from there, splitting the body and solebars. Your carriages are going to be stronger at the top of the body (the Maunsell carriages have their sidelights extending almost to the cantrail), so you may get away with a separate roof.

Just a thought...

Steph

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Those bogie frames are a real nightmare to fold neatly, particularly the diagonals - the result looks a good job :thumbs: . Carry on like this and I shall dig out a few more for you to assemble ;) .