Harrison Cord Loops

ICH60

Western Thunderer
Hi All
I am slowly building my 7mm S7 GWR E19 coach in the Dean period. I have now come to the issue of Harrison Cord loops which run along the edge of the coach roofs.
Has anyone have any experience in making them ( never seen anyone advertising them) . They are very small around 1" thick and 2.5" diameter full size, but they are noticeable on photos. I have a drawing supplied by John Lewis and they seem quite intricate

Any help would be much appreciated

Ian

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Nice detail. I have not tried to fit these rings as yet. Patrick Readon fitted the rings to his Dean 4-whl stock, see MRJ Nos. 24 and 28. After putting the rings on your E19 I shall be pleased to see how you deal with the entry thimble where the cord passes through a top panel to enter the guards compartment.

Last edited:

Mike W

Western Thunderer
No, sorry. I only have experience of real ones of which a photo is attached. Might help somebody to make a suggestion.

Mike

Attachments

• Ring Jan 2005.jpg
    Ring Jan 2005.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 30

ICH60

Western Thunderer
Dog Star thank you, made me go and look up the MRJ's I had forgotten he had modelled them. The difficult bit is trying to connect the cord to the DCC chip so it blows the whistle and put on the brakes ;)
Mike W that photo is a real find for me. I am amazed they still exist after this amount of time. I have only been working of a drawing which is 2D. It matches very much to the drawing. I have started to make a 3D model, though it maybe a bit small to print. Have you any more photos?Harrison Loop Drawing.jpgharrison loop 2.jpg harrison loop1.jpg STL Harrison Loop.jpg

Last edited:

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Ian, @ICH60 , the GWS C&W team working on the Dean stock has fitted 416 with cord rings, thimbles and Harrison wheel. When I looked in Spring 2019 there was no sign of a DCC chip under the seats.

If possible, please let me have a copy of the drawing from which you are working.

regards, Graham

DavidB

Western Thunderer
I modelled the loops on a Mallard model of the Q4(?) Inspection saloon a few years ago. The loops are etched on a stalk which is soldered to the lower side of the roof. I recall filing grooves in the roof for the stalks to fit in to then filing them flat once they had been soldered. The model is in P4. Figures: Monty's. Safety belt is real leather!

Yes, I noticed the wonky one. :)

Inspection_C4695.jpg Inspection_G2204.jpg

Mike W

Western Thunderer
Sorry, not many other pictures. That is actually a replica, but cast directly from an original found on the 12-wheeled dining saloon at Quainton. But I think Didcot have a coach with them and a working cord? The plan at Quainton is for these to be in use on the LNWR Picnic Saloon due to be out-shopped in the Spring, and work in conjunction with a matching full Brake which has the remains of slots in the side where the cord entered into the vehicle, and other details.

Mike

Attachments

• New swivel tag & ring.jpg
    New swivel tag & ring.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 9

Steph Dale

Western Thunderer
I modelled the loops on a Mallard model of the Q4(?) Inspection saloon a few years ago. The loops are etched on a stalk which is soldered to the lower side of the roof. I recall filing grooves in the roof for the stalks to fit in to then filing them flat once they had been soldered. The model is in P4. Figures: Monty's. Safety belt is real leather!

Yes, I noticed the wonky one. :)

View attachment 134052 View attachment 134053

That's a very clever coach design. I particularly like the way the roof and buggy are perfectly aligned to squirt any rainwater or other 'orribleness straight down the rider's collar... :))

Steph

Mike W

Western Thunderer
Whilst writing, if anyone has details of the cleat part way down the end of the carriage to which the cord was tied when not in use, we would be very grateful - and I don't expect that to be on the model!