7mm Halstead

Terry

Western Thunderer
I hope that this is the right place to post a short description and some photos of my 0 Gauge layout Halstead, built some years ago and eventually sold.
Whilst rooting around in the loft one day I came across two small chipboard baseboards, previously made for a project which never materialised. Each board measured just 2ft 6ins by 1 foot. As I was modelling in 7mm scale at that time I wondered if it was feasable to join the two boards end on and create a small layout. After some doodling I came up with a simple track plan. The layout was to represent a small country teminus station on an independent light railway, a single platform having a track each side, one ending in a bay. Both tracks would run off-stage to a single traverser. A small turnout on the 'main' track would lead to a small goods shed and cattle dock. Structures were handbuilt from styrene and all stock was a mixture of kits and handbuilt. Amazingly, for such a small layout it proved possible to engage in some interesting movements. The layout attended some exhibitions including one in Calais and appeared in the Gauge 0 Guild Gazette before eventually being sold. Apologies for the slightly blurred images. If I remember correctly, all taken with an early digital camera, being operated by a complete idiot! Me! Please feel free to ask any questions.

TerryHalstead 025.jpgHalstead 026.jpgHalstead 126.jpgHalstead 070.jpgHalstead 015.jpgHalstead 100.jpgHalstead 069.jpgHalstead 059.jpg

Northroader

Western Thunderer
Good to be reminded of this line. I always felt it was a very good example of how to make the best use of space. Sell it?? Don’t think I’d have wanted to.

Terry

Western Thunderer
Yes, believe it or not, I changed from 7mm scale to 2mm scale! I even managed to produce this small model from styrene sheet before deciding that the change so far downwards was just a tad too difficult. Accordingly, I went back up the scales and settled on 4mm.

Terry
20200412_210550.jpg