GWR Saint Class Loco

Mikemill

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the kind remarks and many likes.

Interesting discussion about the cylinder offset, 2.5in in G3 scale = 0.110in hardly noticeable in a large scale model.

Mike

LarryG

Western Thunderer
Is it not possible that the man frames carrying the cylinders got moved around from loco to loco. I was thinking that a set of frames requiring extra attention during stripping for maintenance might 'miss' the slot for the loco from which they were removed and would end up on another Saint.

simond

Western Thunderer
Is it not possible that the man frames carrying the cylinders got moved around from loco to loco. I was thinking that a set of frames requiring extra attention during stripping for maintenance might 'miss' the slot for the loco from which they were removed and would end up on another Saint.
Larry,

I don’t think that would happen, as frames & rods would have to be kept together as a set, and were certainly stamped with the loco number. I’m aware of locos changing identity, but I think the frames are the loco. Unlike wheels, boilers, brasses, etc, which were certainly interchangeable, and I’d guess interchanged, to minimise stock sitting around costing, not earning, money.

atb
Simon

bambuko

Western Thunderer
Perhaps we should open second/separate thread discussing the subject of 2 1/2" :)) rather than drifting totally OT ...
and messing up @Mikemill 's thread about his beautiful model??