GWR Lower Slaughter, 5ft em gauge terminus (trees)

Jim Read

Hello Si,

Thanks for the reply good of you. I know it's sometimes difficult for someone looking at a photo to judge the sizes correctly. The track plan does look very good indeed it's the curves that do it.

Just finished a DIY cheapo Class A amp. Ashley Wass from Lincolnshire, the Enigma's on piano.

Cheers - J

NHY 581

Western Thunderer
Afternoon Si.

I do like what you're doing here. I'm hoping to embark on something very similar in the not too distant future.

As others have remarked, the curves to the simple but very effective track layout really add to the appeal.

Very nice indeed.

Rob.

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
Thanks Chaps,

Hello Si,

Thanks for the reply good of you. I know it's sometimes difficult for someone looking at a photo to judge the sizes correctly. The track plan does look very good indeed it's the curves that do it.

Just finished a DIY cheapo Class A amp. Ashley Wass from Lincolnshire, the Enigma's on piano.

Cheers - J

Thanks Jim,

It does give it some character, I thinking reading lots of Iain Rice articles & books has paid off. His ideas of small, interesting layouts has rubbed off on me & I'm trying with this one.

Currently I am awaiting a friend to laser me up a control panel before I can start once again. I have however ordered a few bits to start making a few trees from florist wire & instructions from Gordon gravitts book.

Si

MrWolf

Hello Si,

Very interesting watching this layout develop as I've been given outline planning consent to build the terminus for my branch line, provided of course that I get the through station something like finished first!
I'll second what others have said about the curves, it creates a greater sense of space and makes the layout look bigger than it is

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
Tonight I've had a go at something new, a tree armature.

I've used some florist wire & some craft wire to try to create a tree based on a picture I've taken whilst walking the dog. It's not as easy as it looks this twiddling wire lark. I've no idea if it will work properly or whether it'll need more branch's adding to get it to cover the area.
20230221_195259.jpg
20230221_194945.jpg

I really want to get a proper canopy over the barn which will create a natural dark area in the corner to hide where the scenic break is. I've never made trees before so it's really trial & error. I've another couple of trees to make for around the barn & the house again to hide the scenic break rather than have a bridge or tunnel.

I'm going to get the armature covered with some plaster so it can move to the next stage. If this doesn't make the cut it's been a really enjoyable hour this evening messing around & learning as I go.

Si
Tonights workshop sounds has been from these legends. They don't make them like this anymore that's for sure.

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
An absolute belter...

There's a tale behind this as I was exhibiting small US HO switching layout with a friend at a Woking two day show and the exhibition organiser came around asking if we would like to attend their evening soirée for which they laid on food and a railway slide show.

I politely declined to say 'ermmm no thanks we have tickets to see the Rolling Stones' to which he replied 'can't better that'.

It was the best post exhibition entertainment I've attended.

Jim Read

Hello Si,

I'll find your tree caper very interesting I've never been able to make the things.
You've made a good start,

Cheers - J
Just listened to Debussy, bits played on a Piano, and bits constructed one note at a time on a Moog synth by Isao Tomita. I often wonder how Debussy would reacted to such an instrument.

Ian N

Nice work with the tree. Not only are the mature ones much bigger in height and girth than you expect, they’re not as quick to make as you’d think. I also found the process quite rewarding, despite quite a few trials and errors myself. Sometimes it’s too easy to get carried away! I followed the process in Gordon Gravett’s book, ignoring the bits I thought wouldn’t be noticed in 4mm scale, and ended up with this, the large one on the right, with what I think is a mass produced one with a more solid ‘canopy’ in front of it.
it’s good that you’re leaving the single strands quite long at the moment. I found it best to trim them back immediately before gluing the canopy in place. Looking forward to the scene developing.
8D2A5AB1-B86C-4BB6-8B4F-72AD20C85A90.jpeg

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
After making the wire armature the other day I was looking forward to progressing the tree some more. Last night I coated the wires with pva just to set everything solid.

On my way home from work today I stopped by B&Q & got some filler. I have mixed the filler to a workable constancy so I can almost paint it on, the ready mixed tubes I always find too thick.

20230223_200415.jpg

Here is where I am currently at now it's had a coat of filler. Im going to leave it overnight to properly dry out & then I aim to seal it with a good few coats of watered down pva glue which should make it hard. Once this has set I'm going to prime it & get it painted following a few of Gordon's techniques & some of my own.

It's a trial & error sort of build is this tree as it's something totally new to me making these. It's certainly a very enjoyable project so far. I just hope it comes out well when it is finished.

Si

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
I've been working on the first of my trees over the past few days on & off. I've found Gordon's book a wealth of information & I cracked on with the armature.

20230226_114717.jpg

After a coat of primer I started the process of painting it with what I had to hand. After dry brushing various acrylics & emulsions on to the tree I got out the mig wash & got it to a point I was happy.

This was where I was going to stop whilst I await my order from treemendus. I had turned my attention to a great central horse box & the chance I had some transfers for it in the garage. Whilst down there I found so heki scenic stuff in a bag. It was basically the stuff to make tree cover so I thought I would give it a go & see how it looked.

20230226_181002.jpg20230226_184713.jpg

After a bit of messing about I think it actually looks really good. I'm very pleased with it for a first attempt. At this point the cover is only laid on & not glued down so I can redo it with a proper leaf cover I chose from treemendus.

I've also ordered more wire so I can start on the next tree. This time I am going to try to make a better armature with more branchs.

That's it for now.

Si

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the kind comments Jim & Eileen.
I started a smaller tree last night which I'm hoping might turn out as a small birch. The idea is this sits behind the house to help create the scenic break.

Si

34091 Weymouth

Western Thunderer
Not done a great deal this evening but I've done a mk2 mix of bark using filla & a water pva mix. This has made a fast set mix which was nice to work with on the armature.

20230227_203501.jpg
I've not painted it yet but you can see where it's going & how it's going to be used as a scenic break.
Whilst I was routing in the garage the other day I came across some ratio fencing which I've given a brief trial on the layout. I'm actually thinking it'll be replaced by stone walling & bushes although it could stay around the field with a bush running along the railway side. I'm going to have sheep in the field to finish it off.

20230227_203519.jpg
20230227_203508.jpg

I think I'm going to need to make at least another 3 to 5 trees to go along the back wall of the layout although I will take it a tree at a time as I don't want to over crowd the layout.

Si

Music tonight comes from The Lathums with this beauty.