7mm Great Victoria Street Station

paulc

Western Thunderer
Another video showing points 10 through 13 working after completing the wiring for points 9 through 14 on Tuesday.

Ian
Hi Ian , track building is so satisfying as long as it works . I have never used Templot but rather a scaled drawing ( ex draughtsman) to work out what will and won't work in the space available and is then built on site .
I use solonoids (ex P.O.) to change points and for the first time had a tiebar explode . As is common this happened the day before my VicGog meeting so a replacement was installed but needed fine tuning which has occurred after the meeting .
I must say that your new pointwork complex is a beautiful bit of work but I'm not sure that i would want to transport it around , you're a brave man .
Cheers Paul Copsey from Australia
LYRS 1144

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
Hi Ian , track building is so satisfying as long as it works . I have never used Templot but rather a scaled drawing ( ex draughtsman) to work out what will and won't work in the space available and is then built on site .
I use solonoids (ex P.O.) to change points and for the first time had a tiebar explode . As is common this happened the day before my VicGog meeting so a replacement was installed but needed fine tuning which has occurred after the meeting .
I must say that your new pointwork complex is a beautiful bit of work but I'm not sure that i would want to transport it around , you're a brave man .
Cheers Paul Copsey from Australia
LYRS 1144
Hi Paul,

The railway is not transportable so there is no worry about any possible damage, I hope.

I wonder if you know where the Lanky 2-4-2T is in Oz that I built ?

Ian

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
Latest update, after a couple of days working under the baseboards in contorted positions whilst wiring up the power to the relays has seen locomotive tests over the scissors crossover for the first time and also into platform 3 via the correct controllers for the routes selected.

A short video is on the Tube of You. Enjoy.

Ian

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
Recent updates to the railway have been largely underneath as wiring continues. However, there have been a couple of things going on.

Rails have started to be painted in readiness for ballasting to commence.
20230509_125916.jpg
20230509_214951.jpg
Pete J has been working on Smithfield station, making some new fencing.
20230509_215254.jpg

And as Mickoo let the cat out of the bag earlier this year, and I followed it up too, here is the first of the new signals, based on the 1955 Westinghouse design.
20230519_170628.jpg
The large 'slug' of brass at the base will be fixed into the baseboard, as the post itself is a nice sliding fit into it. This will keep it in place securely.

Aluminium composite sheet cut to size and holes drilled for switches and LED's. Although it is currently yellow, a test on a scrap piece has shown it can be primed and painted, so I will attempt to get as close a match as possible to the light green on the control panel top.
20230516_213421.jpg
Ian

Last edited:

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
With work over the BH weekend concentrated on a temporary connection of the headshunt, it allowed the relays for points 9, 10 and 12 to be connected up with power, and also relays D through G for the new shunt signals. All the latter also switch traction power to the appropriate track sections.

Ian

3 LINK

Western Thunderer
Good morning Ian,

Looks like you have your work cut out regarding the ballasting. The platforms on my layout are in one piece and they do lay over a baseboard joint. I decided to keep the platforms portable as I did not want any visible gaps showing on the platform surface. This was fine until I realised that when securing the ballast along the platform edge with the usual pva mix, it would glue the platforms to the baseboards !

The Wife came to the rescue with a roll of grease proof paper which I placed against the edge and base of the platforms. Once the ballast set, the paper was removed and the platforms were still removable, result.

Martyn.

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
Good morning Ian,

Looks like you have your work cut out regarding the ballasting. The platforms on my layout are in one piece and they do lay over a baseboard joint. I decided to keep the platforms portable as I did not want any visible gaps showing on the platform surface. This was fine until I realised that when securing the ballast along the platform edge with the usual pva mix, it would glue the platforms to the baseboards !

The Wife came to the rescue with a roll of grease proof paper which I placed against the edge and base of the platforms. Once the ballast set, the paper was removed and the platforms were still removable, result.

Martyn.
Hi Martyn,

Thankfully, these platform don't move, although there is quite a lot of ballasting to do, but not as much as when we started the "Plan Y"project back in 2013.

Nice work on the track. Can I ask what ballast you used?
Ian
Hi Ian,

It is a stone ballast which came from a quarry in the west country about 30 years ago. We don't have much left, and I have a sneaky feeling that what we have will run out before it is all completed. I'll have to contact one of the other group members to get more details.

Ian

simond

Western Thunderer
In absence of your current supplier, Javis do real stone ballast - I have used quite a bit of the 7mm but I think it is a bit too coarse. The 4mm may be more suitable.

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
With having to divert my attention elsewhere in August and then other commitments and a holiday in September, progress has been glacial of late. However, the last two Tuesdays have seen more ballasting completed.
The new ballast is a mix of three shades from C&L Finescale.

20231003_181543.jpg20231003_203808.jpg20231003_203825.jpg20231003_203825.jpg20231010_161805.jpg
20231010_195426.jpg20231010_195448.jpg

Dave Hughes has also carried out some repairs to the platforms.
20231010_203514.jpg20231010_203519.jpg

The new turntable is almost ready for painting, with just the timber ends requiring trimming back and filing to shape.
20231009_190121.jpg
Ian