Government Legislation On Hobbies and Arts ?.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
In light of the recent push to become less reliant on oil based products such as fuel etc. plastic has come to the fore and the government are seeking more ways to reduce the amount of plastics used in all forms of industry etc.. Prioritised would be a better term as we all know that plastics use cannot be cut 100% immediately.
So it seems that the government will start banning very soon the use of plastic materials from lesser forms of production starting with the hobbies and arts industries and manufactures. Other industries such as medical, automobile and military will not be affected in the foreseeable future.

My question is how will that effect our beloved hobby ?

Col.

simond

Western Thunderer
It seems to me that if you want to make an impact, you start with the stuff that is unnecessary and for which there are excellent & proven alternatives

Milk, pop and orange juice in returnable glass bottles delivered by electric vehicles for example

An absolute ban on styrofoam and multilayer cardboard cups, disposable pet bottles, and a significant tax on things like crisp packets, plastic food packaging and disposable nappies

Sure it won’t be popular, but fundamentally our children are subsidising big business’ profits

But honestly, stopping hobby use will make two thirds of no difference whatsoever

Western Thunderer
It seems to me that if you want to make an impact, you start with the stuff that is unnecessary and for which there are excellent & proven alternatives

Milk, pop and orange juice in returnable glass bottles delivered by electric vehicles for example

An absolute ban on styrofoam and multilayer cardboard cups, disposable pet bottles, and a significant tax on things like crisp packets, plastic food packaging and disposable nappies

Sure it won’t be popular, but fundamentally our children are subsidising big business’ profits

But honestly, stopping hobby use will make two thirds of no difference whatsoever

Well no difference at all to me, since almost all my stuff is reused or recycled, originally made decades ago and plastic-free.

The challenging point you make is that one small sector of activity will not make any measurable difference. Of course, that’s true. It’s true of huge numbers of activities. Even small countries could argue that they could be exempted from reducing emissions and not change the global outcome. The trouble is everyone wants the problem addressed — ideally with the difficult changes made elsewhere, by others. There has to be a very, very good reason to exempt anything or we will collectively fail.

Martin

Mike W

Western Thunderer
"multilayer cardboard cups" are recyclable. There's at least one plant in Scotland. If Local Authorities don't have the equipment to do it they should send it to people who do.
"crisp packets" are also recyclable, with collection bins in supermarkets.
What annoys me is shredded paper goes to landfill because it "blows around the waste site and makes a mess" or if bagged, somebody has to take it out of the bags and that's too much trouble, so they just bury it in the bags.
I'm fed up with being blamed for polluting the oceans when I send it responsibly to the local Council. Somebody should ask THEM how it gets from their recycling centres into the ocean. Don't blame the consumer who often has little choice and is doing his best.

Rant over! But I have wondered whether a tax on things like single use resins and plastics might be a problem for modellers. Thank goodness lead-based solder and whitemetal hasn't been banned yet.

Mike

Jim Read

Hello there

Little pic of one of my layouts when under construction.
52787938585_e1de184f73_z.jpg

From the bottom up; track from grey card sleepers and C100 rail, Y7 from various card stock chassis as well, the three wagons from card including the W irons, axle boxes and the springs made from paper.

From a viewing distance who can tell.

Cheers - J

Jim Read

Keep on topic please. :rolleyes::D
I’m just trying to guesstimate the calorific value of Jim’s layout including stock, and how many such layouts our wood burner would consume on a chilly evening.
Ohhh and the backscene is 2 layers of card with the brick paper that I made myself in Photoshop and printed onto Tesco's cheapo paper.
Thanks for reminding me Tony.

Cheers - J