Gloucester Midland Lines Part 1: North

David Varley

Western Thunderer
Just received my copy of this from Black Dwarf Lightmoor this morning and despite only having had time for a very quick flick through so far, it looks to be another treasure trove.

Highlights for me so far are some shots of Tewkesbury Engine Shed (I'd never released it had a blue brick front wall), which will serve to drive on my 2mm Diamond Jubilee Challenge entry (there, broken cover at last), and a few of the Midland goods yard at Gloucester.

Going to lose a few hours with this!

adrian

Flying Squad
Sounds like one I'll have to order.

I have collected a few shots of Tewkesbury over the years, like this one.

colour_shot.jpg

and this one from File:Tewkesbury former Quay branch geograph-4036331-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 13.26.10.png

Also from this photo c.1958 - Tewkesbury, Gloucestershire. there is a marked difference in the brick surface near the top of the doors

Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 13.27.43.png

However the blue bricks I think are dependant on the period you are modelling. I think it was originally built with red bricks as per the rest of the shed but at some point in the various rebuilds this top section has been replaced with the blue bricks. If you look at the photo above the corner pieces seem to be cast concrete at the corners and bricks along the edge. Whereas earlier photos show a different construction, no cast pieces and flagging stones along the top.

Screen Shot 2017-10-07 at 13.34.35.png

David Varley

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the photos Adrian - I think I've seen them all at one time or another, but not studied them in that much detail yet.

I think your right about the brickwork as well - definitely different construction in your final photo than the others.

David

JimG

Western Thunderer
Does it have much on the original Midland terminus station at Gloucester?

Slight diversion - A book that does give quite a lot of detail of the development of the station(s) in Gloucester is Peter Smith's "An Historical Survey of the Midland in Gloucestershire" which gives track plans of all the changes from 1851. There is one picture of the exterior of the original station. The book is well out of print but there are several on offer on Abebooks at the moment from £12 upwards.

Jim.

Obblygobbly

Western Thunderer
Thanks Jim and David. I already have the Smith book - just wondering if there was some new information in the new book - if there had been I would have bought a copy.