Giles' misc. Work bench.

Giles

Western Thunderer
Bless you Peter - yes, I built The End of the Line, and after a few years passed it on to Tim Crockford who runs it in the spirit which was intended!

Giles

Western Thunderer
I have now made all the parts for both locos, excepting pickups for the 2-rail one.

Forgive the lack of coherence on the video. In June, Di and I caught Covid, mildly - 3 nasty days and a week recovering, but I then went through a six week period of quite acute memory loss and confusion, which although milder now, is still continuing. I often find myself looking for words, which doesn't help!

Giles

Western Thunderer
I don't quite remember why I thought I would do this, but I decided I wanted to try a printed version of the 7mm side tippers - a scaled up version of the 4mm owner I did, with small adjustments. These were made to 14mm gauge, and printed in Eono's Engineering like resin. Set with a layer height of 0.02mm, they came out very nicely, and only needed cleaning up where the supports were removed. As usual, after painting, talcum powder was thoroughly brushed in to restore free movement.
Printed on a Mars 2 Pro, drawn in DesignSpark Mechanical.

alastairq

Unfortunately I am! To the extent I've been forced to give up work.
However - you are most kind! But it is courtesy of the extraordinary quality of the printer..... I am bowled over with how well it does!
...and to think, my ideal machine would have been one that helped me cut a straight line.....? :)

Osgood

Western Thunderer
Unfortunately I am! To the extent I've been forced to give up work.
However - you are most kind! But it is courtesy of the extraordinary quality of the printer..... I am bowled over with how well it does!
So sorry to hear that.
I have not escaped entirely myself, but have recently been able to start catching up with the backlog - trouble is you think to yourself 'I'm ok now' and end up doing too much and grinding to a halt which becomes an endless loop......

Giles

Western Thunderer
As a slight diversion, to practice 3D, I've started drawing up a Kerr Stuart Tattoo - from the GAs of the original class loco, though it's ending up as STANHOPE.
Whether it ever progresses to a finished loco, I don't know, but it's a worthwhile drawing exercise anyway.
Printed on my Mars 2 Pro to a 0.01 layer height in Eono's Engineering Like Resin it is coming out well.

People has been extremely kind with information to say the least - which has led to a few minor changes.

This is Mk ll, with the tank bolted on, not riveted (of course!) And a more correct lamp iron for Stanhope. The whistle has also changes slightly and ive adjusted the safety valve so it prints properly. The springs arent exactly correct, but i was bumping up against the limits of my own competence and what i thought i could get away with regarding the resin.

I need to clean things up a little, like the left-over sprue on the smokebox door knob!

2022-11-18_01-40-02 1668782469496.gif

The springs in the valve actually work! The cross-section is 0.25 square, and if you poke them ever so gently you can move them up and down! The valve wheel is 2mm diameter.

2022-11-18_01-37-59 1668782469629.gif

2022-11-18_12-44-58 1668782469754.gif

2022-11-18_01-40-31 1668782469874.gif

Tom Insole

Western Thunderer
Stunning work on the Ker! I’ve still not finished mine but hope to start tinkering again in the new year. Admittedly mine would be nowhere near as small and beautifully detailed like yours.
Looking forward to seeing this one progress.