Giles' misc. Work bench.

garethashenden

Western Thunderer
You can barely see the wheels. Can you turn some tires and print centers? I've printed centers and reused Gibson tires in the past. What size are they? Could tires be sourced elsewhere, ie coach or tender wheels?

Giles

Western Thunderer
I've been considering alternatives, and I'm quite happy to print my own centre's, but I do like these tyres.....! I think they're 4mm 3'11" (tender)

Meanwhile, I've been working on the backhead detail.
Even though you can hardly see into the cab, I have to include the detail, which is added on to the previously made firebox.

Again, this is printed, as I find I can achieve finer detail this way. The manifold was a significant exercise, and has come out surprisingly well, especially considering the smaller valve wheels are 3mm diameter or less. The gauge-glasses will receive a chunk of perspex.

The reverser is drawn but not yet made.

2022-08-26_10-58-23

David B

Western Thunderer
Speechless - looking at the texture, finish and sheen of the out-of-focus green cab side in the photo above, you’d swear it was made from decades-old sheet metal….as for that backhead……

Giles

Western Thunderer
Thank you all..... I really feel that printing has 'come of age'. I put myself to learning 3D about a year ago I suppose, and with the help of YouTube tutorials I haven't struggled too much. The Mars 2 Pro printer I find brilliant, particularly with the Engineering Like Resin - which is slightly flexible, but still gives the fine detail.
(I got to the source of the problem with creating the STK files - the whole folder had become poisened by one file becoming corrupted - and this prevented anything associated with this loco from creating an STL in DedignSpark. I sorted it by quarantining each and every file to rescue them. All is now fine.)

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
Giles, your prints are much sharper than the commercial ones I bought two or three years ago. Those bolt heads on the backhead look like individual parts and indeed the whole model looks, well, real. I know this is 2mm scale but I still don't quite believe it.

Giles

Western Thunderer
Ah no..... it's 7mm narrow gauge, I'm afraid Richard - it's not that good! But thanks!
It was good to meet you at Lark Rail!

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
Ah no..... it's 7mm narrow gauge, I'm afraid Richard - it's not that good! But thanks!
It was good to meet you at Lark Rail!
I am afraid this must have been another Richard. I didn't make it to the show because the train drivers at Greater Anglia were on strike on the day :rant:

Actually re-reading this, the perspex gauge glasses do imply the larger scale. It's still fabulous all the same, I am sure you could set up a successful business making upgraded backheads for 7mm loco kits.

Giles

Western Thunderer
Thank you folks! I'm extremely lucky in having the toys such as Printer and Stepcraft to play with! I have scratch-built on many occasions in the past, but I can't do rivets like the printer can!

Aside from cross-heads and lubricator drive, the 'building' work on mine is done..... still waiting on wheels, and the joy of trying to make them go round though..... normally I like to do things in the right order!

The other one is still a kit of parts, as I think someone else will be painting it.

King Crab

Western Thunderer
This work is totally inspiring!
When you look at these tiny, perfectly made objects, set against a simply gigantic finger end...

I saw 'End of the Line' at Ludlow the other week, was that your work?
Anyway it kept me, and my daughter, absolutely fascinated for a good while.
Peter