Giles' misc. Work bench.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
The only problem I have is that it sticks really firmly to the build plate!
We are having a similar problem in our early-days-experiments-learning trials with 3D printing, so how do you overcome such an attribute of the resin?

thank you, Graham

Giles

Western Thunderer
There are a couple of things I may try.
1. Polishing the build plate so the print grips less well
2. Buy a magnetic flexible build plate from Amazon so I can ping/flex the plate off the print

To date I've been snipping off any supports that I need to to free the print - but it's not ideal!

Rob R

Western Thunderer
There are a couple of things I may try.
1. Polishing the build plate so the print grips less well
2. Buy a magnetic flexible build plate from Amazon so I can ping/flex the plate off the print

To date I've been snipping off any supports that I need to to free the print - but it's
Giles,
Have you tried reducing the bottom exposure time?
I am using the Elegoo water washable grey in my Mars 2 pro and have reduced the exposure time for the bottom 5 layers to 12 seconds from 25.
Nothing has fallen off yet (kiss of death!) and apparently it has the added bonus of preserving the LCD by not getting so hot.
Try knocking a few seconds off each of the next few prints, if it falls off bump it back up a bit.

Rob

Giles

Western Thunderer
I've done another set of prints over night, with a much reduced bottom layer exposure time, (A lot less than their recommended minimum) and also polished the build plate - and I can now get the prints off. I may reduce exposure a little more still.....
However, I also added a couple more supports where I had slight issues, and produced a set of prints nigh on perfect, which is very pleasing, and nice to have learned various lessons along the way.

Interestingly, a dodgy artefact in the bogie file for this knackered 120G of files on my computer, not allowing me to open any of them. It's taken me all morning to get round this so I can get back into everything, and I'll rework that file at the very least!

Giles

Western Thunderer
Bogies are drawn and printed ok, and there are now two Ashanti's (although I have only fitted one with cab controls at the moment). This is as far as I anticipate taking them, unless I come across the ideal hardware for motorising them ( the bogie pivots are low down - just above the bogies). Hypothetically I had thought about a gearmotor under the bonnet with a 1:1 gear train down to a lay shaft between the bogies, with cardan shafts to bevel gear on each outboard axle. However, this means that the outside frames are working and real, as there would be no room for inside frames.

It's probably bread and butter to Tim Watson et al, but It's b*****y small to me!

It has been an extremely useful drawing and printing exercise, and I've learned loads doing it!

michael mott

Western Thunderer
I've done another set of prints over night,
That is amazing! Modern technology in the right hands can work wonders. I am only able to do things the old fashioned way and it takes a long time. For short run productions it sure beats all the complex die work from the toolmakers.

Michael

Phil O

Western Thunderer
Would a Tenshodo spud, or a black beetle, fit? I'm pretty sure that Martin Welch of weathering fame, fitted a spud into a 7mm / 32mm gauge, tin turtle. There's also possibly something in the High Level range that might do the job.

Giles

Western Thunderer
Ah..... these are 009, so rather too small I'm afraid, Phil! I did make a pair of nickel silver ones in 7mm, but I thought I would have a play a little smaller - saving resin!

Strangely I find that an N20 gearmotor such as I put under my lorries fits well under the bonnet, but would require a 13mm gear tower to double ended lay shaft with cardan shafts..... should I get bored! The down-side is that I would need to fabricate bogies rather than print them.

Phil O

Western Thunderer
In which case, there was a gent at the last Exeter show who uses the vibrator motors from mobile phones to power his 009 locos.

AJC

Western Thunderer
Last edited:

michael mott

Western Thunderer

Simon

Flying Squad
That looks very good indeed, looking at the finished piece one's first thought is not that it has been 3D printed, astonishingly good.

And to think that some people say the hobby is dying - pshaw as Gordon said to the frogs in the ditch...

Great stuff!

Simon

Giles

Western Thunderer
Thank you Simon - I must say I was expecting visible lines on the curve of the tank- but not one! The printer exceeded expectations...... I spent the rest of the day teaching myself how to draw coil springs and the best way to pull profiles round to form the chimney, and drawing safety valves etc.....

Rob R

Western Thunderer
Giles, any chance of a screenshot showing how you have orientated and supported the tank and cab please?
Rob
Edit, have just spotted the first photo showing the tank...