1/32 Gauge One 1:32 Finescale Group

David Halfpenny

Western Thunderer
I am delighted to announce the Gauge One 1:32 Finescale Group.

Its urgent initial purpose is to stem the haemorrhage of Scale Railway Modellers from Gauge One.

I shall be delighted if it takes off further, perhaps even crowd-funding key components, though frankly I shall be satisfied if it Signposts where Scale wallahs hang out, and what's available to buy.
G1 Sign.jpg

So far, it has:
  • a brief mention in the current G1MRA Newsletter and Journal No.254
  • a listing on the Groups pages of the NL&J and the G1MRA website
  • a page on the G1MRA website: 1:32 Finescale Group | The Gauge One Model Railway Association
  • an embryo website of its own: 1:32F
  • a member (me!)
  • minimal Governance:
    • open to anyone modelling, manufacturing or publishing in 1:32 Scale on Gauge 1 track.
    • promotes 1:32 Scale on a range of Gauge 1 track types from 'Standard' to 'exact scale',
    • promotes Finescale modelling of the whole railway,
    • publicises 1:32 modelling methods and resources,
    • encourages manufacturers to support 1:32 Scale,
    • shares inspirational work and techniques,
    • has no officers, subscription or formalities,
    • is a special interest group within the worldwide Gauge One Model Railway Association.
The name is carefully chosen to support all manner of 1:32 plus all manner of Finescale.
The Group stance is to help each Gauge One enthusiast to find a style makes them happy, while specifically supporting Scale Railway Modelling.

Let me know if you want to play - ideally via the Group email address: 1.32.finescale@gmail.com so that I can pull together a mailing-list for internal Group matters.
However. I'm not wanting to start a new Online discussion, and anticipate that most public traffic will continue as it is, on established forums such as here.

Thanks to everyone who's already contributed to this venture, one way or another. David

Last edited:

Neil

Western Thunderer
David I very much like the website you've put together, particularly that it has something positive to say about all approaches from coarse to finest scales whilst supporting and encouraging the development of the finer end of the spectrum. If I was to dip my toes into the scale 1:32 waters (unlikely at this time) I would be encouraged to feel that it wasn't necessary to don the most tightly buttoned hair shirt to feel included or wanted.

David Halfpenny

Western Thunderer
Thanks for those kind words, Neil.

Anyone who feels that modelling to their own high standards is akin to wearing a hair shirt should give themselves permission to do something else!

But some people seem to worry that Finescale will somehow force hair shirts on themselves. (A few years back I witnesses really spiteful criticism of Scale Modelling in another scale.) I hope we can manage to contain such concerns: one energetic G1MRA member asked me sardonically, "Is 10mm scale to be banned, then?" But luckily that's teasing - he's just signed up to the Group :)

As have some key manufacturers, which is an opportunity for dialogue.

David

David Halfpenny

Western Thunderer
Several members of Western Thunder have emailed their wish to join the 1:32 Finescale Group, and after ten days the total number of interested people is around thirty.

The Group already includes serious modellers in 1:32, Finescale or both, including many I've not come across before, and a few are 1:32 manufacturers.

Quite what 'joining' involves remains to be seen - after all, it's up to the player to define the game - but it certainly means being heard. I've already been able to put people with questions in touch with people working on solutions.

So if you'd like to be added to a list of email addresses, by all means write to me at 1.32.finescale@gmail.com

Money isn't involved, and membership of G1MRA itself is not essential.

David Halfpenny

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
David,

That's great news, and I've followed this initiative with interest, even though not a 1:32 modeller. I really like the free form nature of the sub group and admire your persistence in wanting to see this create a proper forum for 1:32 model builders.

Brian

David Halfpenny

Western Thunderer
Thanks, Brian :)

I've had kind messages of support for 1:32 Finescale from G1MRA Committee members, ordinary members, new members and indeed non-members. Only a few Western Thunderers so far, though - after all, you guys already have support, and don't need convincing :)
All the same, we would definitely appreciate your expertise and, above all, your achievements. So many people have told me they'd prefer finescale, 'if only it were practical'. Unless we show what can be done - online, in print, at exhibitions, they'll naturally carry on thinking 'finescale just doesn't work or we'd be seeing it'.​

1:32 Finescale is not a rival discussion group (to be honest I don't care what it is, as long as it flags up that Gauge 1 can be Done Right) so I'm pointing people with questions (and indeed answers) to here.

So far, we have at least:
- five 1:32 manufacturers,
- two 1:32 live-steam dealers,
- ten builders of 1:32 locomotives on Standard track,
- ten builders using Finescale wheels and track, five of whom have been working to Exact Scale in apparent isolation.

We've just put out a very simple Newsletter No.1, reflecting the Inbox so far.
Anyone who would like a PDF (without obligation of any kind) is welcome to email at: 1.32.finescale@gmail.com
Please let me know whether you are 'signing-up' or 'just looking'.
I'd also be pleased to read anything you wish to say about your own modelling.

It would be really, really helpful to have lots of inspirational images of high class modelling, and I hope we may use pictures from this site?
Please let me know if you would be happy for us to use your pictures - but also, naturally, if you would NOT. After all, I'm hoping that you'll be holding good stuff back, to use in your own magazine articles.
Thanks, David

IanB3174

As a fledgling S Scaler the appeal of 1/32 makes perfect sense. Although I have nowhere near enough space I'm tempted to knock up a micro on a willing shelf. Finescale is the only way to go imo, I just can't look at OO and the big flangeways without wincing.

David Halfpenny

Western Thunderer
Welcome Ian,

I certainly can't fault your logic ;-)
The usual excuse for anything less Scale is inter-running with other people's stock and track, and a private shelf doesn't have to inter-anything with anything.​

Hoping you've read the rest of this ancient thread, I've checked its links as follows:

- The G1MRA 1:32 page is now at 1:32 Finescale Group | The Gauge One Model Railway Association

- The 1:32 Finescale Group website is still at 1:32F
and all its Newsletters so far are on it at 1:32F - News

- And the best advice on how to pursue Finescale wheels and track remains wheelmaster Mark Wood's page of sanity at Standards choices

If you'd agree, I'd be glad to add you to the 1:32 Finescale mailing list.
G1MRA membership (while heartily recommended and terrific value) is not compulsory.​

Finally for today (since the Horlicks Hour approaches) G1MRA are offering its members a prize for the first G1 layout to achieve four showings at all-scale Model Railway Exhibitions.
While most G1 exhibition layouts need their own trailer and/or warehouse, a modest micro might well fit in the back of a mini- or micro-motor car.​

David Halfpenny
1:32 Finescale Group & G1MRA Board

Simon

Flying Squad
Templot apart, what will make the idea much more doable is to use small items of rolling stock, pre grouping, light railway etc.

If you search for "Pomparles Siding" on WT you will find quite a lot of references to small G1 stuff to proper standards, John Dale built a lovely little yard for Manning Wardles and Rustons. then there is Rob Mabbet's superb WR engine shed layout, Bob Hunter's "Hatherleigh Road" and Steve Harrod's jaw droppingly good "Worcester Road" They are all on WT if you look for them

More recently "Binondepotman" on WT has built some great stuff, albeit sticking with the accursed G1MRA "standard standard" for the track and wheels.

Best thing to do is to do it, Pomparles Siding came about because of the "six square feet challenge" on RMweb about a million years ago.

Pomparles.jpg

This picture was originally posted here eleven years ago, bloody hell!

I look forward to seeing progress, it is a great scale for railway modelling and remains relatively unexplored in the UK.....

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
Strange you should mention Pregrouping stock. I'm in the process for scaling up and adding additional detail to about half of our 7mm scale wagon kits. I'm hoping to have some prototypes to show shortly. I was going to launch the range last year but with everything it never got done.
My next show is the ALSRM show in may where I will have some wagons to pick up but the official launch will be at Cosford in June..
I'm slowly working my way throught the range but if anyone wants anything in particular then I might be able to bump it up the list.

Marc

Marc Dobson

Western Thunderer
G1MRA were having a 75years show in June at RAF Cosford however I have just checked their website and the the date and location. its now in
Bicester Heritage centre on the first weekend of October.

Marc