Gauge O Guild Southern Show Kempton Park Racecourse

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Gauge O Guild Southern Show 2023

Date: Saturday 20th May 2023

Location: The Grandstand. Kempton Park Racecourse. Staines Rd E, Sunbury-on-Thames TW16 5AQ

Price: Members £8.00. Non Members £12.00 for advanced tickets. £1.00 extra on the door

On-line tickets:
The Gauge O Guild

A New Show and New Location in the South.
Members in the South have been requesting a Gauge O Guild Southern Show for many years. Finally, we have a date and venue which works.

ca91ddf7-eb6f-4ff9-9f94-894e3ed09cce.jpg
LCut Creative are celebrating 10 years in business in 2023 and are offering 10 x £100 vouchers to advanced ticket purchasers in 2023.
We have agreed that advanced ticket numbers, for each event, will go into a free prize draw and there will be:
2 numbers pulled out of the hat for Kettering
2 numbers pulled out of the hat for Kempton
2 numbers pulled out of the hat for Barnsley
4 numbers pulled out of the hat for Guildex (2 from the one day ticket hat and 2 from the two day ticket hat)

lcut.png

Demonstrators:
Information will be added ASAP

Stands:
Traders booked so far:
55H
Ace Products
AirFramed
Amberly Components
Bill Hudson Transport Books
Brushes 4 Models
Buzz Models
C & L Finescale Track Building Systems Ltd
Connoisseur Models
CPL Products
CRT Kits
Duncan Models
Ellis Clark
Finney7
First Class Kits
Gladiator
Greenwood Railway Products
Haywood Railway
HMRS
Ian Kirk Models
J & M Hughes
James Green Artist
Lanky Kits
LCUT Creative
MMM (Made in Manchester Models)
MSC Models
Natural Scenics
Nick Tozer Railway Books
Northumbrian Painting Service
P.R.Model Railway Products
Peartree Engineering
Premier Components
Ragstone Models
Ray Heard Model Railways
Realism Redefined
Scale Factor
Scorpio Models
Skytrex Ltd
Slaters Plastikard
Squires Model and Craft Tools
Steamline Ltd.
The Transport Treasury
Tower Collection Blackpool
Tower Models
Trainsporters
Warren Haywood
White Rose Modelworks

Driving:
Easily accessible from the M25 and M3
16 miles from central London
Over 800 free parking spaces
Transport:
Kempton Park Racecourse has its own railway station which enters straight into the car park and is a short walk from the main entrance. (40 minutes direct from London Waterloo)

simond

Western Thunderer
Enjoyed the show, particularly liked the Newchapel Junction layout, lots to see, and I hope it becomes a regular fixture.

Parking was excellent and very close (and no stupid meters)

it seemed a little quiet, the Bring & Buy was not overloaded with goodies, but I spent £20!

Shame the venue were not keen on providing a bar, hope that’s sorted for next year too!

thanks to the Guild for getting this on the calendar.

BCN-Pete

Western Thunderer
Really enjoyed the show and being 40 minutes drive is perfect for me! Nice not to worry about parking as there was plenty of spaces.

Great selection of traders and my only (constructive) comment is that I was hoping for a few more layouts.

That said, thoroughly enjoyed it and it was great to meet and chat with Brian Daniel’s after long admiring his superb fleet of modern image rolling stock.

Thanks to Jackie and everyone who organised the show and I look forward to next years…

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
I had a wonderful time. I was given a wagon kit so I had to buy some wheels for it, I spent almost the whole day talking with people and I didn't buy anything on my shopping list(*). What I saw suggested a first class show, once again I failed to see the layouts but meeting up with folk from WT and elsewhere made the day.

(*) my list had some pretty obscure things. The trade support was excellent.

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer
Shame the venue were not keen on providing a bar, hope that’s sorted for next year too!

thanks to the Guild for getting this on the calendar.
Simon,

The Guild would have had to make a payment of @£1000 to have bar open, refundable if it made enough money. For the first show it was deemed too much of an additional cost which may have been a loss. However, that may well change for 2024.

Sorry I missed the WT meet.

Ian

simond

Western Thunderer
thanks Ian,

I spoke to Tony (?) at the end of the show, he was taking a straw poll of those leaving (very largely 4's & 5's, a few 3's, nothing less, happily) and he told me the same thing. I wasn't clear if they wanted a grand in takings or profit!

I'd have been confident of the takings (900 or so punters, £5 a pint, and assuming crisps, and soft drinks as well, pretty safe bet IMO) but if they meant profit...?

Frankly, I think the site is taking the mickey - there are 900 punters that would not have been there if not for the Guild, they should pull all the stops out to make it a memorable, and repeatable occasion! I can't imagine that it would have been too onerous for them, say 6 hours by 3 staff at minimum wage plus one at a few quid more - they'd have covered their costs with ease.

Anyway, I thought it was a good show, I didn't buy much, but I enjoyed the day out, and the various chats I had with traders, demonstrators and layout operators, and I'm looking forward to next year!

cheers
Simon