Gauge O Guild Kettering 2023

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
I'm afraid the lack of weathering( not just the stock but everything else, buildings etc.) just leaves me cold, totally un-realistic :( . I probably would have carried on walking past.
Not wishing to open a can of worms or argue, but walking past layouts is something I never do, at least on my first trip round a Show.
Ok I'll pass by the 'Drive Thomas' layout if there is one, but I always look at every layout - whatever it's Era or Prototype - for a few minutes at least. The better ones I can go back to later. I suppose I get to so few Shows I want to make the most of it...

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Not wishing to open a can of worms or argue, but walking past layouts is something I never do, at least on my first trip round a Show.
Ok I'll pass by the 'Drive Thomas' layout if there is one, but I always look at every layout - whatever it's Era or Prototype - for a few minutes at least. The better ones I can go back to later. I suppose I get to so few Shows I want to make the most of it...
I'm just a member of the grumpy old mens club :D but I've got to the stage in life where I don't waste time on anything that don't interest me, just concentrating on what matters to me.

Col.

simond

Western Thunderer
Dividing trains with passengers on board still occurs today albeit with DMUs - Crainlarich where the Glasgow Oban/Fort William trains divide for the two destinations and reforms on the return journey.

I think there are some services on the Southern Region where this also occurs.
South Eastern Javelin services split and form at Ashford International (unlike international services which hammer through without stopping) but these don’t seem to involve any reversing, provided the couplers work first time, which they usually do.

Arun Sharma

Western Thunderer
I was thinking only about running round; but DJP is right: there were many places where such moves happened with passengers on board. Anywhere where trains were joined and divided, such as Exeter Central, Okehampton, Halwill, Pontypool Road. And I imagine most 'portioned' trains involved movements with pax on board.
chrisB
A lifetime ago when stationed in Aldershot, the London trains always seemed to couple/uncouple at Woking - though there was usually an announcement for passengers to remain seated as they were Mk1 'slam door' EMUs.

AJC

Western Thunderer
Dividing trains with passengers on board still occurs today albeit with DMUs - Crainlarich where the Glasgow Oban/Fort William trains divide for the two destinations and reforms on the return journey.

I think there are some services on the Southern Region where this also occurs.

Southampton Central and Bournemouth, too. Even the 'Western is just about capable of joining trains in like manner (at Westbury) and South Eastern, though they lack the élan of the more regular exponents at this sort of thing further west, sometimes do this at Tonbridge.

Adam

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Southampton Central and Bournemouth, too.

I have just recalled prior to the Weymouth electrification the Waterloo-Weymouth service split at Bournemouth when Bournemouth was the end of the electrified line at the time.

A 4-REP (at the Waterloo end) and 4-TC (sometimes two) operated from Waterloo to Bournemouth where the train was split and a class 33 added to the Weymouth end of the 4-TC set(s) to operate push-pull from Bournemouth to Weymouth and vice versa.

Reactions: AJC

King Crab

Western Thunderer
I would have liked to have said hi to other WT'ers. Unfortunately when I arrived at Kettering station and waited for the courtesy bus, nothing appeared. I kept thinking, 'another ten minutes and I'll walk it'. An hour or so passed, and I gave up. As I was eventually walking to the Arena I saw several old dodderers ( I include myself here ) coming in the other direction, who would obviously have been better served by having a bus service. When I got to the venue I complained about the missing bus. I was told that the driver had to have an hour's break, and that's why there was no service.

The Gauge 0 officials who I whinged to said that the bus times were on the website (!) and next time they would put a note on the billboard at Kettering station to say when the service is operating.

It was a frustrating start, and of course seeing people with armfuls of loot passing me by, all gems from the 'Bring and Buy' in my fevered imagination, did not help.

In the end there was only two and a half hours left to look around, for my entrance fee. I should have started earlier maybe but it was a long trek from Wimbledon to Kettering by Tube and train.

On the bright side, watching the live steam barrel around the test track was a pleasure.

Peter

simond

Western Thunderer
Peter,

when the live steamer was blasting around the test track with 18 on, Richard & I were at one end, wondering if any other WT’ers would turn up…

next time!
Simon

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Peter,

when the live steamer was blasting around the test track with 18 on, Richard & I were at one end, wondering if any other WT’ers would turn up…

next time!
Simon

We walked past but didn't see anyone...

Big flag needed next time. :))

simond

Western Thunderer
As Max Boyce said, “I was there!” Pretty much on time, 1pm.

I’ll take the sweater off next time :)