Gauge O Guild Kettering 2023

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Very definitely in my diary, looking forward to it, hope to see a few of the crowd?

there doesn’t appear to be a show plan yet, might I suggest a meeting point by the test track, at say 13:00?
Just got planning consent for attendance so hope to see you.

lankytank

Western Thunderer
Mike W

Just had a look at trader joining instructions & I quote - 'In addition, overflow parking is being provided at the local school which is within walking distance and a shuttle bus is being provided to and from Kettering Railway station'.

So it looks like it's a 'Park & Walk' or 'Train & Bus'. Though having a look at the maps/aerial photos, it would appear that, post-Covid, all carpark spaces will be available (but don't quote me on that!!).

HTH
Barry

John K

Western Thunderer
All of the Covid clutter is long gone so the whole car park is available to us this year and there is no need for the big offsite park and ride
If it gets very busy there is overflow parking in the school a couple of hundred metres away (which was always previously available for us).
For people coming by rail, there is a dedicated shuttle bus.
John K

Mike W

Western Thunderer
Thanks for the confirmation. I thought there had be park and ride many years before Covid, but its no problem, I'll drop my wife at the entrance, drive off to park and then walk back - hoping she's not eaten all the bacon baps before I get there.

Thanks

Mike

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Went, saw, said 'meh', ....
No, it wasn't that bad. Only spent a little bit on scenics & a couple of handy fascia holders for my NCE Powercab throttle.
Bring'n'Buy was a disappointment, much smaller table area than previous years. Stood next to someone as they bought an Atlas boxcar from there, old steam Era type so not of interest to me*. Distinct dearth of American stuff of any sort anywhere, really; Ellis Clark had a rare Atlas F7 A&B set but at £200 each - for unpowered dummy locos!! - ah, no thanks... :(
Took bad photos of the layouts, will post some later. Pleasantly surprised that they weren't all Micro Layouts this year!! :)
Bumped into a few WT-ers I know, and obviously missed many others!!

*Edit - the boxcar, not the buyer!! although he might have been as well...

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Must admit I found it difficult to find stuff I wanted to buy. Still recovering from the SEF embossed plasticard sheets being £5 each. Think I need to consider changing to N Gauge.

simond

Western Thunderer
I was initially a bit “meh” as well, the bring & buy did have some interesting stuff, but I resisted temptation. I did go back later in the day, and the items had obviously gone to new homes, so my money got spent with Metalsmith, thanks Barry, Premier, cheers to Billy, one of big Jim’s wagons, and Squires, isn’t scenic flock expensive?!

met Chris & Mark, chatted with Mickoo, and confirmed my “WOW!” about the Bullied, & said brief “Hi” to the Finney mob (Brian, sorry about the turntable, I am a muppet!). Met Richard & Kev at the test track, and admired Richard’s loco, and meandered around the rest of the show.

it seemed to me that there was more emphasis than I have seen before on ready made models than on materials and kits, but the traders with whom I spoke reported a very busy morning, which is good news for the hobby.

until the next time…

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Still recovering from the SEF embossed plasticard sheets being £5 each.
I won't be buying any more. Slater's brick sheet £3.40 or £4.80? You can guess where I bought it!

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer

Some good modelling in all the layouts and it was good to see a range of layout size.

Tetbury was very well modelled but everything was pristine and clean and single shades of colour (the road was a light grey for instance) and this spoiled the illusion for me. Would love to spend a day on it with paints and weathering materials. At the end of the day though I recognise that it's personal choice.

North Foreland was a classic 'larger BLT' and had some interesting stock and locos. Must do some research about the tunnel blocking wagon. We watched it on a number of occasions and unfortunately I don't think a single train made it to the fiddle yard without derailing or coming to a sudden halt. Don't know if it was operator error or track fault though.

I do spend time watching the layouts, particularly those that do shunting to see how well the chosen couplings work. 3 links tend to be the default but are generally a faff (and out of the question on my 1m deep boards). Was pleased to see one layout with Dinghams and I'm almost certainly going to go for those.

Enjoyable day out and great to see people again.