Model Garden Railway Books

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
As the result of a couple of posts by Phill and Christopher on Phill's garden railway thread I have recently bought a couple of books, 'Railways in the Garden' by Don Neale and 'A Lifetime with O Gauge' by Jack Ray (1p specials on Amazon). I've just finished Don Neale's book and I'm looking forward to starting on Jack Ray's this evening. However it has made me wonder whether I've missed out on any other garden railway gems - a quick perusal through my bookcase shows I've a few books on garden railways but I'd be grateful for any further recommendations :)

Garden Railway Books.JPG

I'm open to anything garden railway wise, standard gauge or narrow gauge, ancient, old or recent - although my preference is for modelling scales as opposed to engineering scales, so Gauge 3 or smaller really.
Looking forward to hearing about what I have missed :)
Thanks
Steve

Osgood

Western Thunderer
For as long as I can remember I've had a little gem on my bookshelf -

GARDEN RAILWAYS by R.E. Tustin - published 1949.

But as they say, it's all been done before!

Phill Dyson

Western Thunderer
Garden Railways by R.E.Tustin is in my collection too, it is the rather battered green book under my other recomendation:)

20140502_203611.jpg

The only other recommendation I have is the C.J.Freezer Garden Railway Manual which you already have ;)

I hope you enjoy Jack Ray's book as much as I did & still do every time I re-read it :thumbs:

Phill :)

Steve Cook

Flying Squad
Thanks Tony / Phill :)
A quint squint on the net showed that I could get a reprint of Garden Railways/Tustin from TEE publishing for £8.50 inc postage, or pay double that for an original 1949 copy.
I went for the old one :)

Edit to add:
Thanks for posting up those shots Phill, that has confirmed the old one was the one for me :thumbs:

lancer1027

Western Thunderer
Now then, as i am getting ever closer to having a garden railway ( and not a shunty plank ) in the garden i will have to start thinking about a "Garden Railway " book or two.

I dont have any at the mo but im sure my collection of books has a little space for some.:thumbs:

Rob:)