G.W.R. BLT: Almost there.

PjKing1

Western Thunderer
Morning Jonte, don’t be disheartened and by the way I think you’ve done a pretty good job with the track :thumbs: I took me ages to develop my method of weathering and I’m still trying to find better ways each time. I find the best way to use the varnish in a rattle can is warm the can in warm water for about ten minutes then use short gentle bursts from about 12” away. The roughness of the ballast should help the powder remain in place if brushed in quite aggressively. To get the powder to stick to the rails though it’s best to brush the powder in whilst the paint on the rails is still wet, I’ve learnt this lesson last time as I didn’t follow my own rules and it doesn’t look as good I must admit.

Don’t give up though and just keep practicing!

Paul

jonte

Western Thunderer
Morning Jonte, don’t be disheartened and by the way I think you’ve done a pretty good job with the track :thumbs: I took me ages to develop my method of weathering and I’m still trying to find better ways each time. I find the best way to use the varnish in a rattle can is warm the can in warm water for about ten minutes then use short gentle bursts from about 12” away. The roughness of the ballast should help the powder remain in place if brushed in quite aggressively. To get the powder to stick to the rails though it’s best to brush the powder in whilst the paint on the rails is still wet, I’ve learnt this lesson last time as I didn’t follow my own rules and it doesn’t look as good I must admit.

Don’t give up though and just keep practicing!

Paul

Hi Paul, and many thanks for the compliment and kind words of encouragement :thumbs:

I’m still mightily impressed with your work, Paul, which sets the bar high - if there really needs to be a bar - and have to admire your honesty. All looks fine and dandy to me anyway, mate, but we do seem to be our harshest critics :(

Thanks again,

Jon

jonte

Western Thunderer
The working balance arm (?) is now painted and fitted and wired up to the signal. The control wire that runs below board will either be fitted directly to the servo arm via a smaller hole drilled in the arm, or perhaps attached to a connector of some sort, fabricated from some tougher material:

DADA4010-8DD4-43FF-9D11-A27506734442.jpeg

Although the semaphore arm itself moves somewhere towards the forty five degrees, it won’t be going any lower as the fine wire tends to distort which is not a good look, I don’t think.

I had intended to use some handrail knobs to prevent this, but in practice, I found it makes things worse, so removed them. I think part of the problem here was placing the knobs centrally along the length of the post, when I should have preferred to have placed them on or towards the edge, to run more in line with the operating wire. However, try as I might, the chuck (?) of my pin vice has worn such that it no longer holds the tiny drill bits required to start off the holes, before opening up with the larger bits.

Hey, Ho.

At least it works, but now I have to consider how to hide the drill holes left in the post; one or two ideas spring to mind:

1AE96578-61D0-4E13-83B4-B9F187E72622.jpeg

So now to fit the lamp and it’s bracket before some final detailing, including dulling the down the spectacle plates with some acrylic varnish.

jonte

Lyndhurstman

Western Thunderer
The working balance arm (?) is now painted and fitted and wired up to the signal. The control wire that runs below board will either be fitted directly to the servo arm via a smaller hole drilled in the arm, or perhaps attached to a connector of some sort, fabricated from some tougher material:

View attachment 187524

Although the semaphore arm itself moves somewhere towards the forty five degrees, it won’t be going any lower as the fine wire tends to distort which is not a good look, I don’t think.

I had intended to use some handrail knobs to prevent this, but in practice, I found it makes things worse, so removed them. I think part of the problem here was placing the knobs centrally along the length of the post, when I should have preferred to have placed them on or towards the edge, to run more in line with the operating wire. However, try as I might, the chuck (?) of my pin vice has worn such that it no longer holds the tiny drill bits required to start off the holes, before opening up with the larger bits.

Hey, Ho.

At least it works, but now I have to consider how to hide the drill holes left in the post; one or two ideas spring to mind:

View attachment 187525

So now to fit the lamp and it’s bracket before some final detailing, including dulling the down the spectacle plates with some acrylic varnish.

jonte
Hello @jonte

Thank you for a lovely modelling moment, detailed in your usual honest but optimistic manner. Keep on keeping on.

Cheers

Jan

jonte

Western Thunderer
Hello @jonte

Thank you for a lovely modelling moment, detailed in your usual honest but optimistic manner. Keep on keeping on.

Cheers

Jan

Thank you, Jan, for your kind words of encouragement and compliment :thumbs:

They really are a fiddle, probably made more so by my barmy idea to mix plastic and metal moving parts:rolleyes:

Also, there’s a little more play in the weighted arm which should be taken up by the tiny washes provided, however, try as I might, once the front and backplate are soldered together there’s little chance of threading them onto the axle as per the instructions. I decided with the next one to adopt my own idea of threading on the washes in the flat, so to speak, before bending the front plate and then joining it to the back. For once I got lucky, but it didn’t last long, as I foolishly forgot to place a spot of oil between the washes and arm on one side and backplate on the other, in my excitement, soldering the whole lot up :( I might just knock up another, but I will need the spares in the fret for the other signals, in which case I’ll just use it for show and connect the operating wire from the signal arm directly to the servo arm below the board.

One day I’ll learn to concentrate, Jan …..

Still, I’ve enjoyed the challenge more than not, so that’s something, and I learn as I go which ain’t a bad thing. Just hoping it’s not beginner’s luck !

Best,

Jon

jonte

Western Thunderer
My, this signal building is fiddly, which is making progress glacial to say the least.

The second signal - rail built - has just had some rusty streaking/washes applied as most of my attention has been focused on my first attempt: the wooden post semaphore:

4167A593-FF76-4E6C-9E19-CC405237DB6E.jpeg1281BBCE-7F89-4692-BE32-CACC7E68F7DD.jpeg

Runs and streaks on the wooden post signal have been built up gradually using thin washes, to represent an example of a signal which hasn’t received a coat of paint in several years, and fiddly fittings such as lamp bracket and lamp have been offered up and placed in a fashion so as not to catch on the arm or blinder.

With mention of the lamp and bracket especially, may I just say that this has been a steep learning curve in general, and lessons have been learnt along the way, especially as to the order of fabrication. I shall also definitely make use of the small MSE washers in future or ensure that the bearing for the signal arm is proud of the post to make the fitting of the lamp and bracket a little easier in terms of margins for room in both assembly and arm movement.

Here’s where I’m up to with the wooden post signal:

I’ll start with the lamp bracket which is drying in the following picture. Wasn’t much room for error:

BBD486FA-5BEF-4633-806C-CBA0C21A0E66.jpeg939E2E40-8EC0-453F-95CA-CB464801A813.jpegE976D054-A7A3-4D23-A57E-34B3A2B35DB8.jpeg2F817177-1A52-4C77-925B-ABFA4DCA56A6.jpeg

Apologies for not getting the focus right, but I’m using iPad/iPhone.

With reference to previous mention in my last about resolving the problem of hiding the drill holes in one side of the post which were made to accommodate the unused hand rail knobs, I opted for the simplest option of just filling them. If I was to attempt this again, I’d try and make something more suitable and easier to adjust from spare brass fret, although I’ll need to purchase a new pin vice first to hold the fine drill bits required. We’ll see.

Thankfully, this one is almost finished as a start has been made on the safety loop and stage, the loop being fashioned from bits of 0.3 and 0.5mm brass wire, fashioned round a 5.5mm drill bit - anything else looked either too big or too undernourished in comparison with the post:

F4502027-05F8-41FD-8A25-5E7D0DB921F0.jpeg

Once they’re painted and attached, together with placement of the ladders, that will be the signal part finished, then it’s on to the under board fittings of servo and board, but only once the power pack has landed.

jonte

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
I'm sure you will have researched it, Jon, but I was amazed to see a rail built post for a Gods Wonderful signal! In my ignorance I thought they were pretty well confined to the former Southern Railway lines..... :confused:? Otherwise, your work and attention to detail is remarkable, once more :thumbs: .

In my dug out, tin-hat suitably donned, I shall now await the barrage of correction on the matter from the Brass Bonnet Society and other interested parties - :D.

Roger ;)

jonte

Western Thunderer
I'm sure you will have researched it, Jon, but I was amazed to see a rail built post for a Gods Wonderful signal! In my ignorance I thought they were pretty well confined to the former Southern Railway lines..... :confused:? Otherwise, your work and attention to detail is remarkable, once more :thumbs: .

In my dug out, tin-hat suitably donned, I shall now await the barrage of correction on the matter from the Brass Bonnet Society and other interested parties - :D.

Roger ;)

Many thanks, Roger, for your kind compliment and words of encouragement once again, which makes it all worthwhile :thumbs:

I was as amazed as you, Roger, the first time I glimpsed the following photo of Cirencester, whose track plan I basically copied ;) In fact, I had to look twice, lest my diminishing eyesight was fooling me yet again (it’s the seventh photo down,Roger):

As this is just yet another shameless attempt at a ubiquitous GWR terminus, I fully intended merely to go with the flow and make ‘em your common or garden, either square or round post variety, but when I realised the amount of effort required to make these things, I just couldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth when I remembered my part-built SR affair. A little bit of tweaking and I was half way there. Result! ;)

Cheers again, Roger.

Jon

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Forgive the delay Jon, this should have been posted earlier! Once again, (a) there is a prototype for everything and (b) one is never too old to learn!

Well done my friend.

Cheers,

Roger :thumbs:

jonte

Western Thunderer
With the valuable help of Heathcote Electronics, whose items I’m using to power my signals and with whom I have no connection apart from being a satisfied customer, I’ve begun to install the wiring, keeping a close eye on the accompanying electrical diagram coupled with the odd email exchanged with the manufacturer just to clarify, to say nothing of some valuable reassurance for this electrical ignoramus.

The positive feed from the power pack attached to a series of bonded solder tags, from which the leads to the five boards I will require, shall go:

IMG_1763.jpeg

The negative feed from the 12V power pack wired similarly, and to which additional wires from one side of each on/off switch shall share:

IMG_1764.jpeg

The isolated (from each other) solder tags to which the wires from the other side of each on/off switch shall be soldered before leading onto their respective positions on each board:

IMG_1765.jpeg

The control panel has been prepared to accept the on/off switches which will operate the signals, the first having been installed in its appropriate position:

IMG_1759.jpeg

The female sockets installed for the leads from the12V power pack:

IMG_1760.jpeg

This just shows the feeds for the AC, DCC/DC and fiddle yard board feeds respectfully:

IMG_1761.jpeg

Finally, the pilot hole drilled for the location of the first signal (I’ll be using the Ratio part supplied to install which - I think - will require the use of a half inch drill bit which I’ll need to pick up), after double checking that no below board wires will be sacrificed, any in the vicinity having been temporarily held away using offcuts of thin fuse wire to attach them to other wires well away from danger:

IMG_1762.jpeg

My semaphore is almost finished and ready for installation; I’ll report on the pros and cons when I hopefully get it working in the next instalment.

jonte

jonte

Western Thunderer
My first kitbashed/ scratch built semaphore is finished and has taken its place guarding one of the exits from the yard. And in fine Cirencester tradition, it stands on the wrong side of the tracks which will be a recurring thread with this build.

I eventually got the arm to work - I say eventually- as naivety on my part in all things signalling had not taken account of the gap to leave twixt arm and blinder for the location of the lamp on its bracket. And with mention of ‘lamp’ I’m using the fine product intended for purpose by Modelu. The hit and miss approach initially of binding and then not binding on the lamp causing the operating wire frustratingly to bend, saw me removing both lamp and bracket and gently filing a bit off here and a bit off there, but again results were hit n miss. So, I swapped out the lamp for another Modelu shunters’ lamp which appeared a bit slimmer, but still the binding occurred. A file taken to this replacement alsofailed to yield the required result so off came the assemblage again while I retired for a re-think. The residue of glue even though used sparingly was beginning to wear as it was spoiling the finish I’d worked hard to achieve: a spot of shininess can pass for oil lamp residue, but this was beginning to look like the area had been swamped so it was out with the paint and more dirty washes to try and disguise………

The solution was to trim the bracket (MSE) and replace it on the post, leaving the lamp off. It will be glued to the stage in time to represent the signalman in the process of swapping it out, with the signalman appearing to have been ‘taken short’ in the process to account for his absence on scene.

The knocked up guard at the top of the stage was painted and glued on, although the next time, I’ll solder a prong to the rail and drill a hole in the post into which the prong can be glued to aid the process as it was a pain to get it to adhere. I used epoxy here but should have preferred to have used CA, but the problem with that is the lack of adjustment time as one has to take account of the taper to the post to ensure it’s truly horizontal. Blutac came in handy but my language was also blue to say the least. It was because of the taper that I couldn’t glue the cage and the stage (Ratio) together off the piece as away from the post, it was difficult to gauge the angle involved. The idea in any case was to glue the bent vertical posts to holes in the base of the stage, but here I failed again, as that darned pin vice failed yet again to hold the minuscule drill bits required, which in any case failed to bite as I’d basically knackered them in the past. In the event I merely glued the rails to the underside of the stage; not ideal but at least it’s represented. I’ll live and learn and a new pin vice and appropriately sized drills are on order for next time.

Talking of next time and returning to the subject of ‘gap-for appropriate -fitting-of-lamps’, I’m going to ensure that the next bearing will be longer to accommodate, despite my use of a single washer this time to allow the arm a bit of give from the post. I’ve already done this with the partially built rail post version seen a couple of posts back, having found an online instructional guide uploaded by MSE which recommends cutting a bearing to exceed the width of the post by half a millimetre or so either side of the post.

So, onto the placement of the signal on the layout.

I eventually discovered that a thirteen millimetre spade bit is what is used to pass for a half inch drill these days, and thus the appropriate size required to slot in the Ratio tubing which is a friction fit to the baseboard, the extended base of the post being glued inside with poly cement. After ensuring that the rather congested wiring below had retired to a safe distance, and choosing the appropriate point at which to place the signal alongside its ward, I drilled a hole as true and straight as possible - bearing in mind my innate inability to keep anything straight - and started to drill. With smoke, noise and extra force required to make the hole, @simond ‘s words of wisdom came racing to mind: ‘get yourself a quality drill!’ . Problem was, this was the only outlet selling a drill of this size without forking out for a whole darned set of drills, which I’ll never require, which is all the usual retail park outlets’ were offering and at their ubiquitous extortionate prices, so it was pretty much a Hobson’s choice. Rest assured, I shall be ordering a quality replacement on line before my next venture.
Anyway, all went well and the signal stood tight and proud. Except, the bloody ladders extended so far out from the base, they obstructed the passage of vehicles using the dead end siding :mad: Now I was really beginning to regret starting this…….
Problem here was that when I stuck the donor Ratio parts together in nineteen hundred and eighty two, or whenever it was in times of yore, I hadn’t bothered to read the instructions and always wondered what those two prongs on one side of the base were for :oops:

So, with plenty of options in Stephen’s book and photos to match with which to cover the bloody big ‘ole that was left, I pressed on anyway.

Unfortunately, the next hole was even more bitterly won with the crap drill bit purchase such that the tubing wasn’t that much of a tight fit this time…..

Anyway, onto the electrics.

A quick test on the bench away from the model had me acquainted with its workings, especially the direction of arc to help set the position of the arm when connecting up, so it was off to solder and attach the remaining wire feeds.

Some photos.

The servo:

IMG_1772.jpeg

Re the connecting of the operating wire to servo arm: I found that it was best to tin the base of the wire and also a piece of 0.5mm wire which was bent to bent to an ‘L’ shape before placement in the servo arm. The two could then be soldered together when the ideal position was achieved. This sure beat trying to bend the wire before feeding it into the servo arm……. Unfortunately, because I’d prepainted the operating wire had to swap it out for a bare wire replacement as the removal of the primer and paint proved difficult to achieve a sound joint, which will now require painting.

The ‘board’:

IMG_1771.jpeg

The flashing buttons are for such things as positioning of the arm, speed of movement and bounce, which I’ve yet to set.

It’s obvious already that due to space being at a premium below board, I’m going to have to loop each future board together in terms of wiring as their simply isn’t the room to take each back to source - apart from one to the other side of the switch - as intended.

The signal, and that ruddy big hole left in the baseboard from my abortive first attempt:

IMG_1766.jpegIMG_1767.jpegIMG_1768.jpeg

Incidentally, by reorientating the arm operating wire with the balance arm below, I managed to increase the circle of arc such that the off position is now closer to prototype than before - one of the only successes of this epic build :rolleyes:

Notice in the next how the signal is still flush with the board in the off position:

IMG_1769.jpeg

Note how it’s standing on tip-toes in the on position (the final horizontal position is yet to be fixed at the time of writing which should bring it down a tad):

IMG_1770.jpeg

It’s caused by the operating wire extending when the servo arm moves upwards. If the friction fit had been tighter - that crappy drill bit again :mad::mad: - the wire would have distorted while the signal post stays fixed, which is what happens if I hold it in place when operating the switch. I’m hoping I can resolve this with the adjustments on the board, otherwise I might have to fiddle with the operating arm again.

Working models hey?

jonte

J_F_S

Western Thunderer
I wonder if I might sugest an alternative arrangement of the servo? In my (very rough!!) diag, I think you have mounted it as at "A". This makes the whole thing extremely sensitive to servo travel and - in particular - the "zero position" so any variation causes the arm to "droop".

I sugest that arrangement "B" is better. Drill a new hole in the operating arm (using a new bit!!) which is a close fit on the wire and which is much closer to the servo pivot.

Servo-2.jpg

This is very insensitive to servo "zero-position" and, becuase of the greater swing of the servo arm - gives much greater controllability.

I see many posts done as you have (so you are not wrong!!) but it is a bit of a engineering no-no in truth!!

Good luck!

jonte

Western Thunderer
I wonder if I might sugest an alternative arrangement of the servo? In my (very rough!!) diag, I think you have mounted it as at "A". This makes the whole thing extremely sensitive to servo travel and - in particular - the "zero position" so any variation causes the arm to "droop".

I sugest that arrangement "B" is better. Drill a new hole in the operating arm (using a new bit!!) which is a close fit on the wire and which is much closer to the servo pivot.

View attachment 188856

This is very insensitive to servo "zero-position" and, becuase of the greater swing of the servo arm - gives much greater controllability.

I see many posts done as you have (so you are not wrong!!) but it is a bit of a engineering no-no in truth!!

Good luck!
My sincerest thanks, J_F_S, for taking the time and trouble to share your valuable advice and guidance with me, and especially for the excellent diagrams :thumbs:

I’ll give it a go.

Jon

jonte

Western Thunderer
I’m pleased to report that my semaphore is now working. Many thanks once again to @J_F_S for his kind advice re amendments to the servo arm, which I followed to the tee and which I’ll show photos of tomorrow.

In the meantime I’ve had a go at shooting a video to show you the results (apologies for the slo-mo; no idea how that happened..):

jonte

jonte

Western Thunderer
Thanks, John :thumbs:

Between you, me and the gatepost it shouldn’t bounce anywhere near as much as it does, as I’m led to believe that the nearer the signal box - which I intend to site on the platform almost directly opposite- the less the bounce, but I’m rather taken by it ;)

Now only another four of the fiddly things to make!

Jon

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
Put the extra bounce down to the Bobby being abit over exuberant maybe. Hope the next 4 will be simpler with appropriate lessons learned. Great to see this progress.

John

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
If I may say,Jon, knowing the heavy amount of domestic work you have on hand, the progress of the Cirencester based project has bounced back brilliantly of late :thumbs: . I raise my hat to your dogged persistence to make it a signal success (Oops! :eek: :rolleyes:!!)

Roger :D

jonte

Western Thunderer
Put the extra bounce down to the Bobby being abit over exuberant maybe. Hope the next 4 will be simpler with appropriate lessons learned. Great to see this progress.

John

I’ll have that one, John, so many thanks for the excuse (prototype for everything mode ‘on’) ;):thumbs:

Plenty of lessons learned, John, including how to cure flailing balance weights, or whatever that thing at the base that moves up and down is called :oops:

Seriously though, many thanks for your continued interest and encouragement.

Jon