Freelance open carriage truck

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
Here’s the under frame. All of the holes were drilled before assembly ie, while all of the components were nicely flat and easy to get at. The building frame/simple jig used is of the type that I use for all of my building these days. They are cheap and simple to make and importantly, they do the job. There is an upstand on each of the buffer beams whose height is the same as the thickness of the floorboards i.e., the floor will end up the same height.

Jon

IMG_3186.jpeg

Jon Nazareth

Western Thunderer
In the top picture, which I didn’t notice when I took the photo, one of the inner longitudinal pieces has a set of holes in it. This was to be one of the sole bars until I noticed that I’d drilled the holes in the wrong place. I didn’t want to waste it and it’s tucked away underneath and won’t be seen.
I wanted to use some 3’ 1” Mansell wheels but slaters don’t sell them, and as far as I know, no one else does. JimG came to the rescue by very kindly printing me off some inserts. One picture shows a wheel as bought and one where I’ve turned out a recess for the insert. The other picture shows an insert in place but not fixed as yet. I’ve turned out a 1mm recess in the back of the wheel and this will take a 1mm disc of styrene. This will cover the spokes but still maintain the back to back measurement.

Jon

IMG_3189.jpeg

IMG_3190.jpeg