Frank Harris (1932-2024)

Western Thunderer
I thought this is worth posting here as a news item, copied from the latest Railway Modeller as we all probably owe a debt of gratitude to Romford Models at some point in our modelling journey.

Mark Arscott of Markits Model Railway Products writes:

It is with great sadness that I have to inform you of the passing of Frank Harris (known to many as 'Mr Romford') on 2 May 2024. He passed peacefully in hospital with his son and daughter by his side. He was 92.

Frank started Romford Models in 1971 as a manufacturing sub-contractor for W & H Models Ltd., whose principal Charles Skelton was a close associate of the late Peco founder, Sydney Pritchard. Peco was also a long standing customer of Romford Models.

I shall miss him as he was the last of the true 'time served' mechanical engineers, meticulous in everything he did. A sad loss and a gentleman.

Romford Models continues under the auspices of Markits Model Railway Products.

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
The legacy continues and another one joins the "Great model railway club in the sky"
Thank you for the wonderful Romford wheels Frank.
By the way that is a great bit of inspiration for a micro layout especially the "bridge"
Julian

Crimson Rambler

Western Thunderer
Is there any connexion between Romford Models and the old Romford wheels?

I used them in the '60s for rewheeling one or two Triang chassis and for my earliest couple of scratchbuilt loco. The obituary by @76043 for Frank Harris advises Romford Models started in 1971.

Crimson Rambler

Western Thunderer
Very good question, I'm now wondering if that's a typo in the Modeller, could it be 1961 or something else? I've looked at the article again and it definitely says 1971.
Tony