Forum upgrade - information and queries.

adrian

Flying Squad
Hi,

My apologies for the delay - a slight last minute hiccup caused a slight delay.

So the forum upgrade appears to have worked, Safari users should now be able to see embedded youTube videos. There a few differences in appearance with this new version but hopefully not too great. I'll post hints and guides as queries come in.

Most of the site is now up and running, there are a couple of features I haven't enabled yet and I'm still adjusting some of the appearance so things might move around a little over the next week.

If you do find and problems or have any suggestions then please post then here and I'll do my best to sort them out.

Regards

Adrian

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
What I see appears as a nice and bright display, worth the change.

I am puzzled by what I find on the Home page... looks like at least five ways to get to the equivalent of the previous "what is new?" button. How do these alternatives differ in functionality?

thank you, Graham

Last edited:

adrian

Flying Squad
What I see appears as a nice and bright display, worth the change.

I am puzzled by what I find on the Home page... looks like at least five ways to get to the equivalent of the previous "what is new?" button. How do these alternatives differ in functionality?

thank you, Graham

That's one of the things still on my to do list. This is the default in the software so does need tweaking and will be one of the items to clean up.

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Hi Adrian, glad to see WT back quickly after the update. Well done that man.

One question, in the 'what's new' menu, when you click on a thread title it always seems to take you to post 1 rather than the first unread. There used to be a blue dot which did that. Is there an alternative??

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I understand there’s some tweaking to do, but I have to say I like what you’ve done with the old place. Spruced up nicely. Thanks Adrian!:thumbs:

Heather Kay

Western Thunderer
I suspect it’s also one the things On The List, but threadmarks seem to be AWOL presently. Not a biggie, but perhaps something to be aware of.

adrian

Flying Squad
Oh no! Added loads of those to my two main threads so I could find stuff. I hope they return...
Yes they will I have got the add on for thread marks - it's just that for the new forum it needs the table to be manually imported from the old database tables. Once I've sorted out the What's new and navigation to the latest post this is next on the list to sort out.

LarryG

Western Thunderer
A neat change from the past is I can write a post and delete it without posting it and it's not there when I reopen WT. - This is a good move.

adrian

Flying Squad
Hi Adrian, glad to see WT back quickly after the update. Well done that man.

One question, in the 'what's new' menu, when you click on a thread title it always seems to take you to post 1 rather than the first unread. There used to be a blue dot which did that. Is there an alternative??
Hi,

In cleaning up some of the navigation for "What's new" I've moved the link under the forum tab - if you use this link then I think the list it generates when you click on the thread title it should take you to the first unread post as it did in the previous incarnation. I still need to check why the button for "What's new" doesn't appear to work the same way but this is an alternative for the moment.

Screenshot 2021-12-30 at 17.11.19.png

I'd appreciate it if you could test this route and let me know if it's working as expected. I've tested it but some times having an admin account I'm not always I see the same response as a regular user would.

Regards

Adrian

Simon

Flying Squad
Just had friends round and dropped back in to the new look WT, it looks great!

Now do I explore the new WT or continue to mangle Plastikard? Both of course!

Thank you very much Adrian, in common with others I'd be more than happy to help pay the running costs of what is a pretty special part of the Internet.

Very much appreciated here.

Simon

freelance7

Western Thunderer
Nicely done Adrian, I do like the new format and all appears to be working smoothly. I had to log in again which proved interesting as I couldn't rememember my password! Luckily managed to find it..

Much appriaciated,

Paul

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Adrian,
thank you, a cracking job. Is the lack of a Log Out button intentional and you intend log ins to time out?

Simon

simond

Western Thunderer
Great job, and thank you!

apropos log-ins, I would prefer to remain logged in (as a result of which I couldn’t remember my password, and can confirm the “forgot my password” function works as expected)

and the “recent posts” button seems to have moved from the right hand end of that menu bar to position #2. I’m sure I’ll learn to live with that :)

HNY
Simon

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Interestingly on Android mobile I get two different menu bars depending upon which way up I hold the phone...

Screenshot_2021-12-30-18-48-57-582_com.android.chrome.jpg
Horizontal

Screenshot_2021-12-30-18-48-43-490_com.android.chrome.jpg
Vertical

It was the New Posts and Recent Posts I used the most previously.