Focalplane.....

LarryG

Western Thunderer
It is with deep sadness that I have to record the passing of Paul Ashton, known on WT as 'Focalplane'. His wife April has only just accessed his emails and told me last week that he passed away shortly after Xmas.

Paul will be remembered as an active member of this forum with interests in 7mm, 4mm and Southern Pacific HO. Some years ago, he gave me a collection of fine 4mm scale buildings of Shipston-on-Stour that he had acquired from a fine model builder, but I barely got started when I had a change of mind and returned to to him. In June 2022, he said he had a small project in mind using these buildings. This was on top of his 7mm layout based on Birmingham Moor Street and his 12" to the foot intertest in vintage 1930's car restoration.

An earlier layout was Penmaenpool on the Cambrian Railway seeing as he lived close by as well as in France. April now has the task if bringing the railway models to back home in Britain.

Sincerest condolences to Pauls family,
Larry G.

Stephen

Western Thunderer
That really is sad news. From our brief message/post exchanges, Paul actively gave great information and enthusiasm, a credit to the hobby.
A real shame his planned SP HO layout will not come to fruition, seeing as with his knowledge it would have been a belter.
As I am sure you will Larry, but if you are in correspondence with his family, please pass on condolences from myself and no doubt the rest of the Western Thunder community.

Stephen

simond

Western Thunderer
Larry,

thanks for letting us know this sad news. Paul had stopped posting here & on RMW some time back citing ill health, I wrote a couple of PMs enquiring about his health since, but received no reply. I feared that things were not well, and I’m so sorry to have my fears confirmed.

Paul was a fine modeller and as Larry notes, had a significant interest in 12” Rileys too. He was also kind and generous. I join in sending his family my sincere condolences.

Simon

Stephen Freeman

Western Thunderer
So sad, I too feared the worst for him given his symptoms as we lost my Mother-in-Law to something similar (Myeloma) if not the same, though she was 93, we are still having to cope with it.

Dan Randall

Western Thunderer
Very sad news - R.I.P Paul. His BR(W) interests were right up my street and I always looked forward to seeing his posts on WT and even exchanged a few PMs with him. My condolences to his family and friends.

Dan

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
This is very sad news. I never met Paul, but he gave me a great deal of encouragement, both here and over the years when I was posting on RMW. He was always thoughtful, upbeat and helpful. I can now only try to think of the loss to his family and friends, my thoughts are with you.

oldravendale

Western Thunderer
I'm so sorry to learn that and thanks for letting us know, Larry. Paul's posts were always interesting and entertaining and he was so skilled on any number of levels. RIP Paul.

Martin Shaw

Western Thunderer
How very sad, although I never met him, in common with a lot of folk on WT there was a shared sense of the model railway world and other things too. It was this time last year we were having a discussion about Sidelines LMS coaches which in the end Paul decided he had enough already. RIP mon amis.