Fitting a Loksound V5L

Richard Spoors

Western Thunderer
I’m sure the process to fit a decoder to a kit built 0 gauge loco is fairly standard. I tested the sound file and changed some CVs using the ESU decoder tester and Lokprogrammer. All was well. I then fitted a 4 ohm speaker and wired the pickups and Maxon motor (ABC). The chassis was then placed on a rolling road that was wired up to my Lokprogrammer to synchronise the chuffs. I started off at speed step 2/28. To my surprise, the sound volume was almost inaudible, even though the volume cv was set to 100%. Any suggestions on what might be influencing the sound reduction? I took care to check the soldering of the speaker wires and the speaker is in a 3D printed sound chamber. I find this aspect of our hobby more time consuming than I expected!
Cheers
Richard

Yorkshire Dave

Western Thunderer
Hi Richard

Initially it sounds like there may be a dry solder joint or poor connection in the speaker wiring or a even dodgy speaker - it's worth checking the obvious.

You may be aware on the master volume you have to double tap the function button on the handset (or in the Driver's cab if using the Lokprogrammer) assigned to the master volume as there are 5 or 6 levels. Each time you double tap the volume increases and then returns to silent. Just double tap again for the volume.

If this does not have the desired effect, then it could be the individual sound slot volumes in sound slot settings. Also watch out for the Play only if drive sound is enabled.

ESU 1.jpg

When I synchronise the chuffs I start with speed step 1. Once I have these optimised I then synchronise speed step 2.

Richard Spoors

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave, thanks for your reply and suggestions. I've set up two 4 ohm speakers with 2 pin headers so they can slot onto the decoder pins. Sadly, the same results with both. I'm going to try your double tapping suggestion.
Cheers
Richard

Richard Spoors

Western Thunderer
Well thanks for your replies Tim and Dave and offers of help. I've solved my problem. I started off using small connectors to provide feed to the decoder, not using the adapter board in order to reduce the volume of space required in the loco. Then I just wondered if the adapter board is in integral part of the unit. Now I have my answer. Yes it is! My sound volume is back to normal. Of course I may have to downsize to an HO size decoder on this particular project, but at least I've learned another sound decoder lesson. I am left asking the question - why would my connectors not work?
Cheers
Richard