A Good Read Ffestiniog adventure

Neil

Western Thunderer
A long time favourite book, I first found Ffestiniog Adventure on the library shelves in York. At that time I was one of Maggie's millions, signing on and skint. It regularly came home with me so I could vicariously experience the wilds of Wales.

book 2.jpg

The books central theme is the construction of the deviation from Ddault to Tanygrisiau and the rebuilding of the final mile or so to the current terminus in Blaenau. If ever a book captures the pioneering spirit of civil engineering and volunteering this one does. Though there's little conventional railway content, it's still a fascinating and fantastic read; the characters involved come to life on the page and there's a real sense of the joy of working together and living simply on site.

Eventually I bought my own copy, just before moving to Wales. It cost me a couple of quid in a second hand shop and ironically it's an ex North Yorkshire County Library volume.

Tim V

Western Thunderer
I'm sure there are some ex-deviationists on here - I'm one!

It makes a number of valid points about the choice of routes - and the compromises that were eventually made.