Eastsidepilot Gallery

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Lovely Colin, have you got any Acrylics going on in there ?.

Yes Fred, I use acrylics (mostly enamels though) very sparingly and dry brushed, just enough to stain the area almost like tinting for want of a better word, I find you have to be quick with it as you know it drys very rapidly and you can't cut back. I have found that stippling with a flat brush can be effective but once again very dry brush, very little paint.
I use these techniques for stains , scuffs and wear marks that kind of thing mainly.

ATB, Col.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
index.php

As well as 'Kilroy' in the dirt on the window, it needs "Danger - Prat in Transit" writing in the dirt on the back doors... :D:D:D:D

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Very nice mate... How did you get on with the kit in the end? Anything that desperately needed changing? Got my DMR B2 to do eventually..

JB.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Very nice mate... How did you get on with the kit in the end? Anything that desperately needed changing? Got my DMR B2 to do eventually..

JB.

Hi JB,
Lots of things I didn't like about the kit that's why the next one is scratch built.:thumbs:
Don't get me wrong it goes together reasonably well but I just hate pre-rolled boiler tubes with the bloody holes for fittings in wrong places.
The beading around the cab windows is unnecessarily too heavy.
Lack of cab interior detail.
Brake gear too flimsy not detailed enough as is the motion and valve gear etc.

I could go on :D
If it's still supplied as DMR did by it's new owners then it's definitely not a £400 plus kit.

Col.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Yes, it's a DMR supplied kit, but I got mine second hand untouched for a darn site less than the retail price.. The B17 kit is a long lost Sans Pareill kit that was purchased for even less... The good old days when bargains were to be had on eBay..

JB.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
A favourite scratch/kit bash build from a few years ago was this LSWR EMU Pioneer set.
I used Southwark Bridge steam stock carriage kits for the conversion ( as did the prototype ) plus a very good friend of mine drew up and had etched the cab fronts for me. The roofs were made from HDF.
Motor bogies are from Roxey Mouldings, the unit being powered from both ends.

LSWR Pioneer Set E1.jpeg

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
Nice engine Col, I took this photo of her on my phone when Fangfoss was exhibited at the Perth Show. Nice to see a model working in a proper setting.
Fangfosse at Perth  show.jpg
I built Tjalve for Richard for the same layout. Another Beyer Peacock very similar to the Isle of Man locos. Quite a challenge as she is so small! When Richard asked me to build the engine he gave me the choice of Tjalve or the one you built, I chose Tjalve but its small size did not make for an easy build. I had to modify the motor to get it to fit and like you everything else is scratchbuilt.
Tjalve on Fangfoss, Perth show..jpg
I was hoping to visit the museum they are now in and get some more pictures this year but our Norwegian Holiday was cancelled. Perhaps next year.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Nice engine Col, I took this photo of her on my phone when Fangfoss was exhibited at the Perth Show. Nice to see a model working in a proper setting.
View attachment 127949
I built Tjalve for Richard for the same layout. Another Beyer Peacock very similar to the Isle of Man locos. Quite a challenge as she is so small! When Richard asked me to build the engine he gave me the choice of Tjalve or the one you built, I chose Tjalve but its small size did not make for an easy build. I had to modify the motor to get it to fit and like you everything else is scratchbuilt.
View attachment 127948
I was hoping to visit the museum they are now in and get some more pictures this year but our Norwegian Holiday was cancelled. Perhaps next year.

I did not realise they ended up in a museum, as I never any contact with his close modelling colleagues or who was dealing with his estate.
Thanks for posting these Ian, I remember seeing your model of Tjalve after you'd built it, cracking job.
It was a tight enough squeeze even in No.10 I used a modified High Level gear box designed for 4mm scale loco's and a Mashima 1015.

Ian@StEnochs

Western Thunderer
Col,
Fangfoss went to the Norwegian Railway Museum in Hamar, about 70 miles north of Oslo. A fitting place for such an interesting little layout to end up in. As far as I know all the stock went with it. Three locos, the two you and I built, and one Richard built himself. He also built the rest of the rolling stock, the coaches being mostly wood with some of his own etchings and castings.
Richard was a prolific modeller with many and varied interests, an early exponent of correct gauge and wheel standards including narrow, standard and Irish gauges in his various layouts. His modelling was consistently to a high standard and I was flattered that he considered my work to be worthy of inclusion in what was unfortunately his final project.
Ian.