Disappearing photos

Alan

Western Thunderer
Good Morning, upon looking at my thread Blackney a glimpse of the forest, I noticed that many of my photos have disappeared. Al that is there is the photo number and on clicking it came up with an Error telling me my files can't be found. Whats happened and please can you get the photos back on the thread.

daifly

Western Thunderer
Alan
Your early photos are still present as they were uploaded to WT. At some stage, you started posting to RMWeb and linking from RMWeb to WT for those photos. With RMWeb having gone belly-up those links no longer work.
Fingers crossed that if they manage to retrieve the RMWeb data that the links will then start working again.
There’s probably a moral there somewhere….
Dave

daifly

Western Thunderer
Alan
It appears that the photos on RMWeb that you've linked to over the last year might be lost. Very sad for us all as the Blackney thread is such a photo-rich inspiration.
Dave

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Alan
It appears that the photos on RMWeb that you've linked to over the last year might be lost. Very sad for us all as the Blackney thread is such a photo-rich inspiration.
Dave
No 'might be' - Andy York has put a notice up saying that has happened for everyone. My photos on my thread Over There are missing from Jan '21 onwards. I do have all of them myself, restoring will take some time, and possibly remembering which photos are posted where!! :confused: :oops:

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
I count myself fortunate that I chose to pay for Flickr hosting some years ago rather than uploading to each individual forum that I post on. So all my photos are only links which still work.

daifly

Western Thunderer
I don't think any of the WT linked-to RMWeb photos will reappear automatically since the RMWeb photo addresses seem to have all changed.

adrian

Flying Squad
I don't think any of the WT linked-to RMWeb photos will reappear automatically since the RMWeb photo addresses seem to have all changed.
at the moment it's wait and see. They probably have a lot of data validation to do first but I have my fingers crossed they'll manage to add a simple little url redirect to automatically link so the old addresses automatically reroute to the new location. Just hasn't happened yet - probably low on the list.

Chas Levin

Western Thunderer
Hello all, reviving this thread as I'm having an issue with photos posted here, on Western Thunder, disappearing - they're definitely posted onto this forum, not linked from elsewhere. It's intermittent - they'll sometimes re-appear when I reload the page (it's currently happening to the last two posts on this page, from November 6th and 25th) but sometimes, I have to re-edit the post, in order to re-save - same text, same photos - and they will only then re-appear: any ideas please? Might it be the size of the photos?

adrian

Flying Squad
Hello all, reviving this thread as I'm having an issue with photos posted here, on Western Thunder, disappearing - they're definitely posted onto this forum, not linked from elsewhere. It's intermittent - they'll sometimes re-appear when I reload the page (it's currently happening to the last two posts on this page, from November 6th and 25th) but sometimes, I have to re-edit the post, in order to re-save - same text, same photos - and they will only then re-appear: any ideas please? Might it be the size of the photos?
It makes me nervous when people start talking about disappearing photos. I've tried your link and reloaded the page several times and with different browsers. I can't reproduce the problem which makes it rather difficult to diagnose. Can you try a different browser? Maybe something to do with the caching. The size of the photos is not a problem.

Chas Levin

Western Thunderer
Thanks for investigating Adrian - and apologies for making you nervous! Good point about the different browser: I'll try that and report back...

Osgood

Western Thunderer
I've noticed the last few days some pictures towards the end of a thread are not loading - just a square.
Page refresh and they come to life.
No other sites slow elsewhere.
In case it helps.

Chas Levin

Western Thunderer
I've noticed the last few days some pictures towards the end of a thread are not loading - just a square.
Page refresh and they come to life.
No other sites slow elsewhere.
In case it helps.

Thanks Tony - yes, that's exactly what I've found, just recently, towards the end of a thread. Are you on a PC or a Mac?

It makes me nervous when people start talking about disappearing photos. I've tried your link and reloaded the page several times and with different browsers. I can't reproduce the problem which makes it rather difficult to diagnose. Can you try a different browser? Maybe something to do with the caching. The size of the photos is not a problem.

I've tried some other browsers Adrian and it seems it might be a PC/Mac issue: it happens with both firefox and Safari on a Mac, but it's not happening with Chrome, Edge and - most tellingly - Firefox on a PC...

Pete_S

... and - most tellingly - Firefox on a PC...
I get this from time to time - W10 & Firefox. Right clicking & 'reload image' or a refresh usually cures it.

Total guess - could it be some form of throttling effect from my ropey mobile broadband combined with a timeout setting in Firefox?
Happens on RM Web and the BBC news site too.

Chas Levin

Western Thunderer
I get this from time to time - W10 & Firefox. Right clicking & 'reload image' or a refresh usually cures it.

Total guess - could it be some form of throttling effect from my ropey mobile broadband combined with a timeout setting in Firefox?
Happens on RM Web and the BBC news site too.

Hello Pete, I was on a fast home broadband and it isn't happening on any other sites, but who knows at this point. Hopefully it's just some sort of temporary glitch...

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Talking of photo's etc. what is the max. size for uploading on WT, I tried uploading some scans recently and it wouldn't have it.

Col.

Chas Levin

Western Thunderer
Talking of photo's etc. what is the max. size for uploading on WT, I tried uploading some scans recently and it wouldn't have it.

Col.
I thought there was a thread on that in this very forum (the 'Forum Information & Issues' one) but can't now see it. If it's any help, I regularly post images of up to 700-800K without issue and @adrian confirmed a few posts ago that's not an issue.