7mm Dikitriki's Dark side: A WD 2-8-0

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
I like that a lot. Where are the bogies from Richard? They look pretty neat and (shock!!!) appear to have some brakes...

The Kirk stuff is pretty good IMHO. I've seen a handfull of these fullbrakes made up with added lights, bells and whistles which just show how well Ian did with the tools for the mouldings. I'd love to have the excuse to set about his Maunsell carriages to see what I'd make of them with some of my preferred choices of parts.

Steph

Thanks Steph. The bogies are ABS 8' Fox (ex Cavalier). ABS have 2 qualities of bogie kit IIRC. A basic one, which this is, which just include brakes on the outside ends of the bogies, and a complete kit which includes all the brakes plus yokes etc.

I do think Kirk's ends, roof and sides are very good, but that's it, everything else goes straight in the bin. However, if you know what you want, Iain will supply you with just the plastic parts you need. I have all the bits I need to build a small rake (4 I think) of Gresley suburban coaches. Iain supplied the sides, ends, rooves at £15 per coach, the underframes are Newbold, bogies and detail castings are Sidelines. A high spec coach at a very reasonable price.

Richard

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Richard, is that the JLTRT offering we've discussed on and off over time?

It is indeed, though this is the Chowbent incarnation (brass boiler and smokebox) rather than the JLTRT one which has a resin boiler, saddle tank and smokebox. I reckon it's a lovely kit, and that there are very few better starter kits.

Richard

TheSnapper

Western Thunderer
I would like to see more detail painted on figures faces, but god knows how this would be achievable in 1/43...

Chaps, I just had a brainwave (steady on....) whilst slumbering in bed this morning - well I am on holiday, so I think I'm entitled to a bit of a slumber. I apologise if this is not a new idea though.

Don't you agree that producing highly detailed figures in 1/43 would be a great project for 3-D printing? I wonder if it would be possible to generate 3D-CAD data from a series of all-round photos of the subject? Using real-life subjects, the possibilities and poses are endless.

Tim

(BTW, Richards figure painting is superb, when seen "in the flesh")

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Chaps, I just had a brainwave (steady on....) whilst slumbering in bed this morning - well I am on holiday, so I think I'm entitled to a bit of a slumber. I apologise if this is not a new idea though.

Don't you agree that producing highly detailed figures in 1/43 would be a great project for 3-D printing? I wonder if it would be possible to generate 3D-CAD data from a series of all-round photos of the subject? Using real-life subjects, the possibilities and poses are endless.

Tim

(BTW, Richards figure painting is superb, when seen "in the flesh")

You can get off the web for free and for pay 3D figures already, usually in Studio Max format, pilots, ground crew, passenger, even naked women etc etc.

Turbosquid will probably have loads to choose from, you don't need the textures as your going to print them not use them in a simulator.

We used to do it all the time in Flight sim for pilots and crew etc all you need do for model railways is scale them in your 3D cad program and send off to whomever you choose to print.

Don't reinvent the wheel just use what someone else has already done and trust me, there's some seriously good 3D figure models out there and if you don't trust me on that then trust me that making them yourself is bloody difficult, hence I paid for mine and spent the time on something else more worthy.

Example
http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-military-pilot-v3-static/619682

Once you have the figure in 3D you can change the pose as much as you like, print out and then paint to suit.

With Turbosquid, once you have paid for the model you can sell it on in what ever format you like, but not as a single 3D model, part of another model embedded in the code is fine, printed out in 3D would probably also be fine, there are other sites for 3D figures (free and pay) and I'll wager they out weight us model train buffs by about 10:1

TheSnapper

Western Thunderer
Thanks for that Mick.

I've trawled through a lot of images on TurboSquid, bur have not been able to find any suitable Steam Loco Crew. Do you know of any? Some of them seem really expensive, others less so or free.....
I'd like to experiment. I have access to3d-CAD experts at work, and also 3D printers, which may or may not have the resolution required for such small objects.
Is it just a matter of downloading a required file in the appropriate format, and seeing how it looks on screen? Presumably for changing a pose, the object needs to be "rigged"? (You'll have to excuse my ignorance)

Cheers

Tim

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi

A bit later than I thought, I have taken some pics of the Fowler 3500 gal tender. It was already built, but I determined that it was not good enough just to finish, as I had hoped; so it was reduced to a kit, cleaned up, and I started again. Not the quickest or best way to do things, but I wanted to do a Chowbent Patriot, and I had given up hope of finding an unstarted one. Sods law of course means that one came along on ebay a couple of months or so later, but that's life!

P1010529a.jpg

P1010531a.jpg

P1010532a.jpg

I'm actually really pleased with how it's come out. I think it's as good as any other 3500 gallon tender kit, and with the addition of extra chassis detail will be fine.

Richard

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Very nice clean work, but it's not helping me control my interest bubbles....as he glances at Jubilee and Princess kits boxes sat yonder on work bench!

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Thanks for that Mick.

I've trawled through a lot of images on TurboSquid, bur have not been able to find any suitable Steam Loco Crew. Do you know of any? Some of them seem really expensive, others less so or free.....
I'd like to experiment. I have access to3d-CAD experts at work, and also 3D printers, which may or may not have the resolution required for such small objects.
Is it just a matter of downloading a required file in the appropriate format, and seeing how it looks on screen? Presumably for changing a pose, the object needs to be "rigged"? (You'll have to excuse my ignorance)

Cheers

Tim

Tim,

I don't I'm afraid. Changing pose depends on the author and if he has added bones and linked them to the figure, most figure builders do, in which case you simple move the bones and the figures poses changes, it works out the shape at the joints automatically....most of the time.

To be honest you don't need a really detailed figure as it'll probably not print that well in 7mm and it'd have to be manifold as well for 3D printing, that can be quite a challenge in it's own right, I suspect most 3D figures are not which makes it easier to swap out heads, hands, boots etc.

I might have a spare 3D pilot figure somewhere kicking around your welcome to have to play about with, just have to find it LOL as I've deleted or cold stored all my aircraft CAD work ages ago.

daifly

Western Thunderer
Looks in lovely condition. I see that it was bought for £3000 in January 2012 - compared with the 1956 launch list price of £506 it's held it's value well. 0 - 60 mph in a shade over 30 seconds shouldn't frighten the horses either!
Dave

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi Tim

You may well be right.

This one belongs to a mate of mine - not a railway acquaintance - who gave Lady D and me a lot of help when we first moved into the wreck of a barn that now houses Heyside. He is very interested in classic bikes and cars and indeed gave me a couple of appropriate vehicles for Heyside. He reckons he gets over 50 miles to the gallon out of it.

Richard

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Hi

Time for a laugh.

I didn't take any pics of the Patriot tender before I blowtorched it apart. The loco body however......

P1010535a.jpg

Now the front end damage is due to a PO splat. The model was well packed - or so it seemed to me - and it was all square in the pics I had from the vendor. However, even ignoring that, it has to be blow-torched apart. There is a gap in the bottom of the boiler, which is misaligned anyway. The boiler wasn't put on in the correct position which means that all the handrail holes were at the wrong height both sides........

P1010538a.jpg

and you can see how the builder tried to correct. Now the smokebox casting (I presume) gives the right height, so I don't really know what is going on.

P1010536a.jpg

Despite the impact damage, and the faults in building, there is nothing that's going to cause a problem. I shall scratch build a new boiler, and probably backing plates for the front steps. The firebox and cab were not damaged in the building, so they will clean up OK. I shall reduce it to a kit later today and survey the wreckage.

As I said earlier, the chassis has not been started which is a big plus in the model's favour. All good clean fun, though why I take on someone else's builds I don't know.

Cheers

Richard

mickoo

Western Thunderer
Richard,

As you say nothing too difficult to repair/rebuild with a modicum of effort, though I do espy a crack in the smoke box front casting down near the footplate in the last image, a result of the middle cylinder casting being bent upward I suspect :(

Who manufactured the kit? Was it Chowbent like you were looking for, or another, I would like an original Patriot at some point.

Kindest

Dikitriki

Flying Squad
Richard,

As you say nothing too difficult to repair/rebuild with a modicum of effort, though I do espy a crack in the smoke box front casting down near the footplate in the last image, a result of the middle cylinder casting being bent upward I suspect :(

Who manufactured the kit? Was it Chowbent like you were looking for, or another, I would like an original Patriot at some point.

Kindest

Hi Mick

I hadn't spotted the crack in the smokebox front casting until I saw it in the photo. Since it's not a structural piece, filler or solder will sort that. Whoever built it in the first place made mistakes, but was good enough that no components have been damaged beyond use, boiler excepted. But even then that could be repaired by plugging the holes and redrilling; just that it will be quicker and neater to scratchbuild.

It is the Chowbent Patriot - the other one I was working on earlier was the David Andrews designed kit from Gladiator.

Yours

Richard