1/32 Devoran Quay

Simon

Flying Squad
Looking a bit tricky this morning, a permanent way trolley has disappeared near Tresithick Wood...

IMG_4336.jpg

....the junction off the quay line has disappeared..

IMG_4348.jpg

...and activities down at Devoran have come to a frozen halt.

IMG_4352.jpg

A view along the headshunt of doom.

IMG_4359.jpg

It is just amazing that all the plants are able to survive through these harsh conditions.

Simon

Flying Squad
Dave visited today and we snapped his 03 out on the line in the rain.

Like my 03 and the Pannier, it needs its wheels sorting out - happily we now have a foolproof plan for sorting this issue out in the New Year.

IMG_4394.jpg

Surveying the dock, we decided to start work on the piece of track to run under the bridge from this turnout, a length of 1510mm is required.
IMG_4385.jpg

Which involves a cunning plan for creating inset track along the dockside, old pieces of track were cleaned up, ancient copper clad fibreglass exhumed and construction commenced...

IMG_4395.jpg

Two inner rails next, within which the dock surface will be placed. I'm hoping to create this as one piece which can be laid completely inset under the bridge along the dock in one operation.

We'll see how it goes...

Simon

Flying Squad
Dave’s first visit of the New Year saw some good progress made. The track sections were all made up and put into position for the line that goes up from the quay to the running line.

It was a beautiful day..

IMG_4818.jpg
Dave made up one new curved section while I soldered rail feeds.
IMG_4820.jpg
Checking alignment of the new work "up the hill".
IMG_4822.jpg
An overall view of the two points and new section.
IMG_4823.jpg
Dave bought his EMD switcher and a new "Shortie" gondola, designed for the new set up.
IMG_4827.jpg
A close up of Dave's switcher in the sunshine.
IMG_4830.jpg
A great day with much progress, thank you Dave!

D6356

Western Thunderer
That looks good fun! Not much more to lay and then testing can fully start. The advantage of the wide trackbase the track line not constrained so hopefully a little pushing and shoving by the PW with bars should see a lovely curve on the link line. The curve and gradient will be a good test of locos and horses!
Hopefully warmer longer days not too far away.
Robert

Simon

Flying Squad
This afternoon saw the remainder of the wiring on the points finished, with the microswitches now in circuit to switch the crossing polarities.

IMG_4854.jpg

I next rigged up all the new track, making temporary connections with small clamps ahead of soldering after testing.

First out was, of course, the Ruston,

IMG_4858.jpg

Which, I am happy to report, ran perfectly through everything right up the other side to the end of the powered section of track.

IMG_4859.jpg

Suitably encouraged, but in failing light, I brought out D6319.

IMG_4865.jpg

Which slightly to my surprise runs perfectly through everything in both directions, quite a result given the curves and changes in gradient.

IMG_4882.jpg

And it looks OK running over everything too, despite the curves.

All of which is very encouraging.

There is one small problem though, as demonstrated in this short video....

https://youtube.com/shorts/5jYrYuf6Fm8?feature=share

It may be the first Gauge One model to need a digital brake!!

It even "runs away" a bit at the head of the light railway, this is because it has one of Brian Clapperton's superb gearboxes, and is also fitted all round with ball bearing axleboxes.

Shunting wagons down to the quay will require a locomotive to be at all times positioned at the quay end of all operations I think!

Just the job for an 03.....

Simon

Flying Squad
All the track section electrical connections made this afternoon, including the new section of line along the quay and the upper section of the incline to the main line.

New section in shed, an extra sleeper has been inserted before the copper clad "inset section" and feeds soldered on.

IMG_4926.jpg

In position running back alongside the quay and under the main line girder bridge. Those neat S&T types had been tidying away redundant materials on their dilly wagon.

IMG_4927.jpg

A view from above, taken from standing on the wall edge by the end of the fence, an unstable feeling position.

IMG_4931.jpg

And a view through the point at the base of the "light railway", with the buffer stop at the end of the "headshunt in the sky", which will want to be securely affixed to the deck(!)

IMG_4928.jpg
I then set up the Multimaus to test run everything and try out the quay line and headshunt. Yikes - a massive short! I carefully checked all my connections and then noticed that I hadn't gapped the copper clad sleepers on the quay line.....

But it was just too cold by then, so I came in.

Maybe tomorrow

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
Sometimes when we are focused on a particular task we miss the obvious and it is so annoying, been there done that!

Michael

Double-sided copper clad... Gapping one side and then drilling through and fixing both ends down with brass pins, thereby undoing the gapping on the top. Took a while to realise the issue in that case.... :))

simond

Western Thunderer
on which point, there is a couple of fishplates missing on the high level line!

gapping copperclad. (Granny/eggs warning). I use a mini drill and a large diameter cutting disc, which I hold at about 75 degrees to the sleeper, and draw across parallel to the rails. This makes a very shallow scalloped cut from the sleeper, rather than a sharp edged groove. Whilst I try to convince myself that it’s less of a stress-raiser, it’s certainly easier to hide with a coat of spray paint. Probably not important if you’re insetting the track anyway.

michael mott

Western Thunderer
I am envious of all the green and coloured stuff growing about your railway my back yard (garden) is still blanketed with a foot of snow and is probably going to be there for at least another month and a half.

Michael

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Hi Simon
I have just finished reading through this grand story of two rather fine model railways. What got my attention was the fact that the earlier pages were not the same as the latter pages. My inquisitive nature got the better of me, hence the reason why I persevered!
You certainly did not give up when you moved house did you? Some would have taken up a different pastime. The presence of G1 in the garden is certainly very addictive and I was fascinated by the progress on both lines.
The locos, the LSWR T9 and an LBSC G1 were stunning, even though some comment was made on the T9, I did not notice. These must have certainly made a memory.
It is even more fascinating to think that this is a story of your work over more than a decade. I could have just pressed the "like" button many times but no I wanted to thank you for letting us share this journey.
Even the Young Ones got a mention along the way didn't they?
I have one question though at this point, sound like Columbo! You mentioned the lowering of the Slater's BR Van to suite 1/32 scale as I presume this is the 10mm version. Have you described this on another thread in this forum? I still have my Brassworks 03 in 1/32 and seeing yours running on the line makes me want to hold onto mine.
Sorry to ramble on but I had to comment!
All the best
Julian

Simon

Flying Squad
Hi Julian, thank you for your kind comments. Yes, quite a “journey” in so many ways. Apart from anything else, when it started Cynric had only recently set up WT - such a tragedy that we lost him. I bought the Slater’s van finished from the very talented Trevor Hale, so there are no details of what was done to it on here. Of course there is now the option of buying one from Fred Phipps at 1/32 scale. On reflection, I really do like this scale, nothing is quick and it is too big to fit anywhere sensible, but I love the “presence” that it has. I think this garden line is shaping up OK, it has quite a few features and aspects that the other did not, and its setting is more interesting. The 03 is indeed a very nice model, mine is currently off having its wheels sorted out (along with my Pannier) so two good shunting and branch locos should be arriving soon!