Dave's Industrial Steam (and diesel) Gallery

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I keep looking at WT every now and again but haven't posted anything for a couple of years now. It seems that industrials don't interest many people on here but here are a few more for those that do take an interest in them.
Please allow me to suggest that you might be mistaken - most WTers appreciate photos of good modelling (your post satisfies those criteria) and there have been several topics, in the last couple of years, offering interesting industrial prototypes.

I shall look forward to your next photo post.

regards, Graham

Daddyman

Western Thunderer
There's certainly interest here. That 4-4-0 is beautiful. My eye was drawn to the superbly fine rivets in the cab area - please tell me that these are transfers and that we're not expected to get punched ones looking that good....

Simon

Flying Squad
I don't know why you say that Dave - this thread is much more interesting than an awful lot of the stuff currently posted on WT, for Gawd's sake keep going!

Anyway, who doesn't like a Ruston?

John57sharp

Western Thunderer
I’ve just found this thread for the first time and it’s fantastic, railways and WW1 aircraft alike. Thanks for sharing your most inspiring work.

John

LarryG

Western Thunderer
I was particularly impressed by the realism in Post #62, so I worked my way back. Good modelling is always a pleasure to see.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Always a pleasure to see your work, Dave (I’m enjoying your Barclay bashes on the other channels particularly). The RSH/Drewry with the exposed engine is a magnificent bit of work.

Adam
What that man said! There is a lot of crossover between WT & Over There, so sometimes Threads get followed & commented on more on one channel than the other. Doesn't mean there isn't the interest here.

Dave

Western Thunderer
There's certainly interest here. That 4-4-0 is beautiful. My eye was drawn to the superbly fine rivets in the cab area - please tell me that these are transfers and that we're not expected to get punched ones looking that good....
Yes, they are transfer rivets. I couldn't possibly punch such tiny ones in 18 thou. brass.

Can we see more pictures of the scrapyard layout?
Certainly!

A Ruston 48DS about to be overpowered by a couple of loaded MDVs.
MDV-022.jpg

Bigbuffers-004.jpgCharlies_for_RM 017.jpg

Dave

Western Thunderer
That just reminds me of Crossleys in Shipley, Bradford.
It's based more on Booths, at Rotherham, with the gantry cranes. Booths is on the site of a former railway goods yard and the line that crosses Millmoor Lane is the trackbed of the line that ran into what I think was the first railway station in the town. It gave me the idea to base my scrapyard on the site of a goods yard, hence the part of the yard that still has setts and the Goods and Grain Warehouse.
BRM 011.jpg

Charliesnew 007.jpg

Dave

Western Thunderer
This Andrew Barclay is one that I have built for use on the latest small layout that I am currently building. It started off as an out of the box RTR Hattons model and has been altered quite radically.
DSCF9199.JPG
It is based on one that was built in 1913 for the Dalmellington Iron Company. The prototype had to work through a tunnel with just 9ft clearance to the crown of the arch and so the footplate was dropped, a canopy was fitted in place of a cab and the boiler fittings were cut down, with the safety valves being relocated from the dome to the first ring of the boiler.

DSCF9197.JPG
The Hattons model is of a later type with a higher pitched boiler, so I had to lower that. I also milled the chassis block to allow the footplate to be dropped and milled the buffer blocks from brass to add weight as the new layout will have some severe gradients.

The plastic handrails were wrong for the period and so have been replaced with brass wire and ball-type pillars. The sandboxes were also replaced as these too were wrong for the period. The chassis block has been milled to make space for a Stay Alive and as the original motor would no longer fit in the reduced space left by lowering the boiler it has been replaced with a small coreless motor. A 15x11mm speaker and a Zimo MS490 decoder are also installed under the tank.

DSCF9195.JPG
I have weathered the frames, motion etc. but cannot weather the rest as I am waiting for some custom lining and lettering decals.

Dave

Western Thunderer
The Barclay, as posted above, is as finished as it's going to get. I had commissioned some lining and lettering decals but they failed to live up to expectations and I had to resort to using Fox lining. I can never get the lines to stay straight, or get the curved pieces to line up properly, so it meant a dose of heavy weathering and some patch painting to attempt to disguise my errors.
DSCF9260s.jpg

The engine is supposed to be over 50 years old at the time of the new layout (not the one it is pictured on here) on which it will run, so the patching and weathering fits in.
DSCF9259s.jpg

There is another project that I finished recently, a Grant, Ritchie & Co. 0-4-2ST.
DSCF9266s.jpg
This also started out as a RTR Hattons Barclay but it has had a lot of new, scratch-built, parts made, including a new running plate and cab. The GR wheels are also of a different pattern to Barclays and so I made new wheels from brass and pressed them into some Alan Gibson steel tyres.

Joe's Garage

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave, as usual I come across some threads very late but I enjoyed this "find" very much. Some very interesting modelling and if you hadn't mentioned scale I would have struggled to guess.
The industrial scene is always interesting as for a space starved individual this aspect offers many possibilities.
I found the photos of WW1 aeroplanes to be fascinating and at first thought they were 1/48th scale. Have you ever seen Graham Goodchild's book "Modelling aeroplanes of World War One"? I think that is the title, he shows you how to scratchbuild them in 1/48th scale. Would make some interesting wagons etc. for that era.
I shall keep looking out for your posts.
All the best
Julian

Dave

Western Thunderer
Hi Dave
A lovely picture, what's the origin of the new loco?
Thank you
Mark
Hi Mark. It started off as a standard 14-inch Barclay, the Hattons RTR model, but I've done a lot of work to back-date it to make it appear older. The prototype of the Hattons model would be no older than 1920/21 and mine is now from around 1905. Full details of the conversion are due to appear in the February 2023 edition of BRM.