7mm Cropsham.

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Readers of my original thread "Whatborough Yard" will recall that the progress on that idea was halted following various domestic re-arrangements that in the event became void. The pandemic did not help and as the old layout had been totally dismantled and removed from its site against the garage wall a total rethink was necessary. No work is possible for me in the winter as my garage is unheated and my general health does not permit working in an area that resembles a butchers cold room. (i have done that when I was a lad, but not at my age....;)!)
In the event, by taking advantage of times when the weather smiled and was unseasonably warm, I have at last constructed the base for the new Whatborough. This consists of two boards, 5'6" x 2'6" giving an overall total of an 11ft length. For those who prefer metric measurements, I am sure you can do the conversions. The materials and construction are quite standard, using ply and bracing pse timber. I must confess I find detailed descriptions of quite conventional baseboard construction in articles in the model railway press totally boring, thus I will not inflict them on readers here.
The empty boards look to have an enormous space available, as the photographs imply, but what I have found is that I have marginally more space than I had with my old Neverwood layout - if anyone is interested in that old system it did feature in a certain Gazette some couple of years or so in the past. This has prompted me to slightly modify that design and adopt it as the new Whatborough. The principle difference will be that the stock is now all fine-scale so no SM32 track will be used this time round.
The following pictures show the two boards joined and set up ready for track laying.

The sector plate will have two roads and be hidden behind low relief scenics;-
SAM_2069.JPG

Looking along the length of the proposed layout.
SAM_2068.JPG

Well, there you have it for the present. No doubt our roving reporter from the 'Whatborough Bugle' will be lurking with his camera to report on the forthcoming goings on!

Roger.

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
The continuing relatively pleasant weather has resulted in the start of track laying following some minor work to the board with the sector plate, to allow the sector plate to be operated from the norm 'front' of the layout. I have found that spending a couple of hours at a time seems to be my personal limit before things start going awry so I work with that - hence the relatively slow progress. The picture shows that a start of the station and yard area is under way. The use of Peco f/s bull head track as opposed to the original SM32 mix has resulted in my having almost run out of the track that I had to hand, but a supply is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, so, weather and health permitting, work will continue. In the mean time, the afore-mentioned picture which will be fully explained when the system is completed. As isusual for me, I adjust my plan as I go along - I always have worked this way and it is far too late for me to change now :rolleyes:!

SAM_2072.JPG

Hopefully more news soon. My thanks for your interest.

Roger

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
More pleasant weather and an excellent example of service in the delivery of track has meant that I have now completed the actual track laying of the new version of Whatborough. The next move is wiring up. Yuk! I hate wiring. An explanation of the track layout as promised last time is given below the pictures.

General full length view:SAM_2075.JPG
The point of division between the two baseboards is reasonably clear from photograph number two on the previous post. Working from the left hand side the lower board contains the sector plate and then to the right of the sector area a short industrial siding which will be enclosed by an industrial building in due course and a longer siding which is a headshunt for the coal siding.

The area which will contain the station and goods shed is contained on this board. SAM_2076.JPG

Once more working from the left, the station bay road then the main station road, with the lead giving access to the goods reception road and a small siding heading back towards the direction of the sector plate (but will be scenically blocked from it) for a yard engine. The third road combines the platform face of the goods shed with a reverse to the industrial siding mentioned above with a lead to the headshunt, also previously mentioned, for the coal siding that can now be seen. Coal staithes will be a feature here,

There you have it for the present. Progress has been quite steady of late but I know have to concoct (I use the word advisedly) the control panel for an analogue control system, which will take time - it just depends how it flows and how my patience is at the time - I think there may be those of you who may understand - or even sympathise :rolleyes:!

Once again my thanks for your interest.

Roger

adrian

Flying Squad
Firstly - the name. Whatborough is not a fictional name. It was a hamlet in High Leicestershire with it's own parish. Records show that at one time in centuries past, it boasted thirty-odd souls but in the present day although the parish remains, the hamlet has disappeared as far as I can ascertain. The adjoining parish of Marefield was the point at which the Great Northern Railway branch to Leicester joined the GN and London, North Western joint line from Newark to Northampton. It seemed to me that the apparent anonymity of location implied by the name 'Whatborough' had much to commend it for a model's setting and add to that the influence of a nearby joint-line.....! Need I say more?
I thought it sounded familiar but I couldn't quite place it - my Dad used to teach at a school in Knossington so used to cycle/drive around that area quite a bit! I do like the threads with a good narrative so look forward to the updates.

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Good day to one and all. It has been far too long since I was able to add any thing to this column. This has been mainly due to a variety of personal circumstances which, whilst not quite totally removing, have placed railway modelling well down the list of priorities. The upshot has been that upon life resuming something approaching normality once more I have had the time to do some hard thinking and as a result Whatborough in 0 gauge will no longer exist but will be pursued in 00 scale at the expense of my old Norton Harborough project. It is my intention to create a new 0 gauge layout by developing the original work done on the 'Whatborough' layout in to a fictitious branch off the Barnt Green - Ashchurch line which will appear as a new layout under the name 'Cropsham' in due course. Once again I shall remain in a world of fiction and 'what-if',' with Rule 1 firmly applying. It is my sincere hope that I my give some pleasure, amusement and maybe a little inspiration to those who have kindly followed my previous exploits in 0 gauge, both here and elsewhere.

Roger

chigley

Western Thunderer
Good day to one and all. It has been far too long since I was able to add any thing to this column. This has been mainly due to a variety of personal circumstances which, whilst not quite totally removing, have placed railway modelling well down the list of priorities. The upshot has been that upon life resuming something approaching normality once more I have had the time to do some hard thinking and as a result Whatborough in 0 gauge will no longer exist but will be pursued in 00 scale at the expense of my old Norton Harborough project. It is my intention to create a new 0 gauge layout by developing the original work done on the 'Whatborough' layout in to a fictitious branch off the Barnt Green - Ashchurch line which will appear as a new layout under the name 'Cropsham' in due course. Once again I shall remain in a world of fiction and 'what-if',' with Rule 1 firmly applying. It is my sincere hope that I my give some pleasure, amusement and maybe a little inspiration to those who have kindly followed my previous exploits in 0 gauge, both here and elsewhere.

Roger
looking forward to further updates Roger as it progresses.

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
To keep things from getting muddled I have renamed my 7mm project Cropsham and thus amended the thread title, Further news will be printed as progress occurs. Please bear with me - thank you.

Roger.

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
A brief update to advise that Cropsham , where wiring and lots of fine soldering is currently the prime area of work, is at a standstill due to a personal visual problem which severely affects my ability to do fine and/or close work. I have had every assurance from the medical world that this can be simply treated and rectified, This has been scheduled to be undertaken sometime during the coming four weeks. Until then, progress will remain at a standstill. I will report again as soon as full visual acuity is regained!
Thanks for bearing with me
Roger

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi Roger,

being a fellow eyesight sufferer when it comes to modelling, I wish you all the best with your forthcoming procedure and look forward to seeing further updates on the layout soon.

regards

Mike

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Thanks gentlemen for your kind wishes - things are in motion and I expect an appointment for the procedure in the next four weeks or so - then hopefully back to some 7mm modelling!

Roger.-

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
I got a little impatient with waiting for my eye clinic appointment - it is still as yet to happen - so I thought I would have a look at Cropsham again and see what, if anything, I could do. It turned out that there was a bit of tidying up, such as trimming the cork underlay which I carried out and then I looked again at my nemesis - the wiring of the layout. I thought, having a handy Morley Vector which gives superb control of my Dapol fleet, not to mention the kit-built Deeley 3F which is also on the roster, I could fix up some old fashioned cab-control, Yes, I can her the hollow laughter from those who understand and apply the mysteries of dcc, but cab-control is adventurous enough for me, thank you. I spent a straight three and a half hours on constructing and wiring a section control panel and connecting it up to the station board. That amount of time may seem nothing to a fit, younger person, but being on my feet for the afternoon did prove rather draining. However it is now installed and awaits connection to the power source and the completion of the wiring of the shunting board, which includes the sector plate. That is it so far. It may not sound much or even appear to be that complex, but to someone like me who absolutely detests wiring it has been most satisfying to get this far. Connecting the shunting board will involve the wiring of a multi-pin plug which I shall probably leave until I have somewhat more efficient vision. The rather poor picture shows the rear of the panel - not to mention my untidy work. A view of the 'posh' front will appear later but as can be seen the base-board, and it's partner are currently upside down to enable easier working on the wiring. Regrettably working underneath baseboards is, for me, a thing of the past. Depending on the time of my upcoming eye procedure, I hope to have further news of Cropsham soon.

SAM_2118.JPG

jonte

Western Thunderer
I got a little impatient with waiting for my eye clinic appointment - it is still as yet to happen - so I thought I would have a look at Cropsham again and see what, if anything, I could do. It turned out that there was a bit of tidying up, such as trimming the cork underlay which I carried out and then I looked again at my nemesis - the wiring of the layout. I thought, having a handy Morley Vector which gives superb control of my Dapol fleet, not to mention the kit-built Deeley 3F which is also on the roster, I could fix up some old fashioned cab-control, Yes, I can her the hollow laughter from those who understand and apply the mysteries of dcc, but cab-control is adventurous enough for me, thank you. I spent a straight three and a half hours on constructing and wiring a section control panel and connecting it up to the station board. That amount of time may seem nothing to a fit, younger person, but being on my feet for the afternoon did prove rather draining. However it is now installed and awaits connection to the power source and the completion of the wiring of the shunting board, which includes the sector plate. That is it so far. It may not sound much or even appear to be that complex, but to someone like me who absolutely detests wiring it has been most satisfying to get this far. Connecting the shunting board will involve the wiring of a multi-pin plug which I shall probably leave until I have somewhat more efficient vision. The rather poor picture shows the rear of the panel - not to mention my untidy work. A view of the 'posh' front will appear later but as can be seen the base-board, and it's partner are currently upside down to enable easier working on the wiring. Regrettably working underneath baseboards is, for me, a thing of the past. Depending on the time of my upcoming eye procedure, I hope to have further news of Cropsham soon.

View attachment 147923

Commendable stuff, Roger, despite your current visual impairment.

I know diddly squat about DCC but have muddled through with valuable assistance from my fellow Westerners :) Would have been lost without them, that’s a fact!

I have read about Cab control but consider it the preserve of academics and model railway clubs, and the subject of myriad wiring diagrams in Railway Modellers of yore which mean not a jot to me. Previously, the sum total of my electrical knowledge consisted solely of placing the two wires from the controller under the rails and perhaps wiring one via an on/off switch!! I really am grateful for DCC now that I’m building my first challenging layout; I doubt I’d have had the confidence to do so considering that realistically to get the most benefit from the design I’d have had to consider Cab Control.

I think you’re being a little too hard on yourself,Roger, with respect to your wiring considering your current challenging circs. ‘Pretty Maids all in a row’ springs to mind ;)

Hopefully you will receive notice about your pending appointment sooner rather than later so that the multi pin plug can be suitable wired and shunting can proceed:thumbs:

Best

Jonte

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
Modest progress continues on wiring up at Cropsham, although I must admit that I have been diverted to some work on my 4mm project at the new , smaller, version of Whatborough Yard - but that is another thread! With my capsulotomy procedure now only eleven days away I am happy to say that all the track wires are laid in on the shunting board including the sector plate. In the process I found that I had mis-counted the number of switches I had drilled the control board to take :oops:! In actual fact it may prove to be what artists call a happy accident in that I can locate the sector plate switches adjacently, one above the other as opposed to side-by-side, which will, in fact, make operation both easier and more logical to avoid mistakes ;).
So there we are- another step forward and hopefully trains will be running in a matter of weeks...........! Watch this space.

Roger.

jonte

Western Thunderer
I like happy accidents, Roger. As you well know as a follower of my own thread, the only times things occasionally go right are merely the results of accidents ;) Still, glad it’s turned out well and pleased to read that your procedure will soon be ‘out of the way’ :thumbs:

I guarantee I shall be watching this space!

Jon

Roger Pound

Western Thunderer
As people following this thread will be aware, I have, due to recent optical circumstances, had a period of inactivity in the field of progress with this layout. This has given me considerable time to ponder over many aspects of Cropsham and as a result I have come to the conclusion that operationally it would be, to me at least (and it is my railway) slightly less interesting operationally than watching paint dry.
I am happy to report that I have had my visual impairment corrected - you might say I have now looked at Cropsham with a refreshed pair of eyes :rolleyes: -and the result is a complete redesign. In the light of this I intend to close this thread as of now and will resume my tales of the Cropsham revision on a new thread which, for want of imagination, will be called 'Cropsham Mark 2'. So if you are not fed up with the blithering wanderings of an old railway modeller - look out for the new thread shortly.:)

My thanks to all who have supported and encouraged me so far - please continue to do so if you wish.

Roger ;)

jonte

Western Thunderer
Eyes peeled for Mk II, Roger :thumbs:

Extremely pleased to learn that your vision has been restored; sounds as though some valuable respite after your procedure wasn’t/isn’t required either. Commendable. You seem raring to go. Good on you, sir!

Best,

Jon