Converting JLTRT Class 52 to S7

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
Dear All,
I’m looking to purchase a set of the JLTRT bogie inner frames for a Class 52 Western Diesel.
The loco will be S7.
I’ve been fortunate in having had the chance to look through a JLTRT kit of a friend and that’s led me to ask the question;
how do you convert the existing JLTRT bogie and brake gear for S7?
Many thanks,
Neil.
*Please remove if not appropriate for this area of WT.

Scale7JB

Western Thunderer
Hi Neil,

@richard carr may be able to help. Pretty sure he hasn't built a 52, however he has a lot of experience with JLTRT diesel kits.

Alternatively if you can post a photo of what you have, we can all take a look and see if there's a way around it.

JB.

Eastsidepilot

Western Thunderer
Neil,
Without actually seeing the bogies construction it's not possible to say but I would imagine for a start that the axles will need packing spacers to reduce any side play as the inner frames would be designed for F/S.
But not knowing if the detailed parts such as brakes and the detail that covers the centre wheels would clear S7 wheel sets I can't comment further.
The wheels themselves are not a problem :D

Col.

DougT

Western Thunderer
Neil

don’t know if you’ve seen this video on youtube? Gives quite a lot of visibility of the bogies albeit for an FS build and also how the brake gear is added.

This is a screen grab from the video, at about 3m02s, giving an idea of the spacing available. Not perfect I know, but maybe of some help

B01B6BFC-38E3-46FD-8204-B7F005C640FD.jpeg

Doug

SimonT

Western Thunderer
Off line Neil and I have had a discussion about the one I did over 15 years ago and he now has some photos and a description of what I think I did! He's now having a think!
Simon

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Off line Neil and I have had a discussion about the one I did over 15 years ago and he now has some photos and a description of what I think I did! He's now having a think!
Simon
Please share :thumbs: , we have two to build in S7.

Podartist79

Western Thunderer
Dear All,
Thank you for your advice, help and suggestions.
I’m sorry, I’ve not looked at my thread for some time - as is evident .
Simon sent a terrific email explaining what he did, for which I’m very grateful. A combination of that with Col’s advice re packing etc.
Neil.