Commode handles

simond

Western Thunderer
Following a brief discussion in Heather’s coach-building thread, herewith a brief description of my tool for making the “G” shaped commode handles from wire. I made it for 7mm, because I’m too miserly to purchase Slaters ones!

When I did this, Slaters lost-wax brass were about 50p each, and the three toplights I was building would need 44, so I chose to make them. Using wire, rather than the correct flattened oval, means that the characteristic fixings are not modelled, so you might wish to look away! That said, they do have to look regular, so the newly purchased Proxxon MF70 mill got used in anger to create a tool around which I could form the handles.

D86D751E-2495-4709-9DB6-C817684AA132.jpeg

The jig is a bit of Tufnol, though brass or aluminium, or even steel, would be fine. Two 0.7 holes drilled at 3.8mm spacing to suit the coaches, then the top of the block milled away 2mm to leave an “island” sticking up adjacent to the holes. Slot milled to intersect with the upper hole. The corners of the “island” were rounded off with a file, and the job’s jobbed.

Of course, you could CNC machine it if you have the kit, and I guess it wouldn’t be too hard to make with a drill press, and hand tools.

To use it, simply bend one end of a bit of 0.5mm brass wire to 90 degrees, stick it in the hole, keeping taut, pull it round the “island”, and bend down the slot in the edge. With thumbnail firmly holding it at the back, use fine nose pliers to form the final bend into the slot. Pull off jig, trim upper pin to length, repeat.

Fit into predrilled holes in the painted body, secure with glue.

1661086260810.jpeg

These three show a little variation, the best, imo, is the left-most one, the centre one is a little disappointing, but, from a coachlength away, you’d struggle to see it.

hope this is useful

atb
Simon

Last edited:

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Simon thanks for this, what a good Idea. Regarding the oval section could you possibly anneal the handle afterwards and then pinch the part sicking out in a vice to flatten it a little?This would also work harden that part of the handle as well.

Michael

simond

Western Thunderer
Simon thanks for this, what a good Idea. Regarding the oval section could you possibly anneal the handle afterwards and then pinch the part sicking out in a vice to flatten it a little?This would also work harden that part of the handle as well.

Michael

thanks Michael,

indeed, that would be possible. Ideally parallel jaw pliers, with smooth faces.

I don’t have any. I shall mention this to Mrs D as a Christmas present idea. :)

michael mott

Western Thunderer
Hi Simon I tried the parallel jaw pliers and could not get enough pressure to flatten the round enough to show (weak I know ) but the smooth vice jaws did a good job of flattening the rounded part. A bit of 15 thou sheet to act as a limit for the vice jaws or some other dimension would ensure consistency in the amount of flattening. the rod is .020"

capture 4889.jpgcapture4892.jpg

Michael