Change of e-mail address notification

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
John Lewis is closing their e-mail and broadband service on and from 30th June 2023 so I am making arrangements to replace my broadband provider and to move to a different e-mail service.

My current e-mail address becomes non-workable on the 30th June, I expect to have a replacement e-mail address in the week beginning 19th June. If you and I have exchanged e-mails within the last year then I shall have your e-mail address in my address book and I shall be using that address book to forward details of my new e-mail address. If you have not received notification of the new address by 1st July then please PM by WT.

regards, Graham

simond

Western Thunderer
That is a rather unwelcome development. I have often pondered changing broadband supplier, but have al been put off by this issue. I thought that some legislation had been put in place to minimise the fisruption if one made the change, but of course, if the supplier ceases to supply….

hope it goes well, Graham.

atb
Simon

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
That is a rather unwelcome development. I have often pondered changing broadband supplier, but have al been put off by this issue. I thought that some legislation had been put in place to minimise the fisruption if one made the change, but of course, if the supplier ceases to supply….
There are two concerns with this business change and at least one of them seems to be a consequence of technology advances.

Firstly, I guess that John Lewis does not wish to remain in the business of offering a broadband service and that is understandable when you try to make sense of the advertising from BT... Virgin... Sky... At least I can resolve this concern in a simple manner by starting with one of Martin Lewis's web pages.

Secondly, where I am having trouble is that (a) I have been using the Waitrose web-mail server for almost 25 years and hence there is a serious quantity of historical baggage and (b) most of those broadband suppliers (which are "recommended" by Martin Lewis) seem to have taken the decision to avoid offering a web-mail server. What seems possible is to use a domain name service and then to buy limited e-mail inbox capacity from the supplier of the domain name.... where the e-mail inbox is somewhere in the cloud. All this is rather painful as I have avoided Microsoft "functionality" since circa 1995, looks like I am going to have to get to grips finally with Outlook.

And no, I do not wish to move to an Apple world...

regards, Graham

simond

Western Thunderer
If it’s any help…

at work, we use Office 365 which is a subscription service and includes Teams for video and ordinary telephony, Outlook, and the usual office apps. It works well, but costs, of course.

at home, I use older non-subscription issues of Outlook on the PCs for my private (btinternet) account, and have a copy of my work email on iPad and iPhone. I use the Apple-provided mail app for the btinternet account.

The offspring dabbled eagerly with iDevices when teenagers but have moved to Google pixel phones. My lad uses a Gmail account, I also have a Gmail account for the Kent MotoGuzzi club. I don’t like it, but it works, and links into things like YouTube.

I’d recommend the convenience of the MS subscription service if you need the portability between devices. I don’t think I could be bothered with webmail, but I do need to have a bit of an address-book tidy-up at some point.

DavidB

Western Thunderer
A few years ago, I changed my internet provider only to find the new one did not run an email service (I am not very technically savvy). I bought a domain and set up my email separately with Namesco. Now, with my email arrangements separated from my IP, I can change the latter and it does not affect my emails.

There are other ways. For example, you could set up a Gmail email which is also separate from any IP.

Years ago, phones were separate from IPs, then phones became a requirement with an IP which made it more difficult to change IP. Now, one can again separate things - phone (VOIP), email, internet - and as a result it is easier to make changes.

With landline phones having the copper service due to be switched off in 2025, it is worth thinking about phone connections. I don't have a mobile as we get no reliable signal at home where I spend 90% of my time, so I need a landline, which is now VOIP since our internet connection went fibre to the premises last December.

The downside is that I now feel I need a degree in IT to work it all out! Gone are the days when someone at the exchange did the work and all I had to do was plug the phone in.

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
Years ago, phones were separate from IPs, then phones became a requirement with an IP which made it more difficult to change IP. Now, one can again separate things - phone (VOIP), email, internet - and as a result it is easier to make changes.
I have thought for many years, more than twenty, that the degredation in our telephony service is a consequence of Cisco seeing IP as a solution to a problem that the telcos did not have... after all, what was wrong with CCITT No.7?

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Sadly all any business sees is the 'perceived savings' At the local authority where I worked in IT before retirement, we moved to VoIP to save money but as a consequence we no longer had the issue of single line faults. If we had a fault, it now affected a minimum of 48 phones (the number of ports on our switches).

I now live in a little village where our broadband is adequate but no more. My copper phone line leaves the pole at one side of the garden travels about 20 feet then feeds into our gutter, runs around the gutter in an L shape back out and down the side of the house to where it enters at the main socket. Our neighbour whose phone line enters their house 8-10 feet directly opposite ours, goes directly from the pole. Figure that one out...

I foresee serious upgrades needed to move us to IP telephony.

Richard Gawler

Western Thunderer
Secondly, where I am having trouble is that (a) I have been using the Waitrose web-mail server for almost 25 years and hence there is a serious quantity of historical baggage and (b) most of those broadband suppliers (which are "recommended" by Martin Lewis) seem to have taken the decision to avoid offering a web-mail server. What seems possible is to use a domain name service and then to buy limited e-mail inbox capacity from the supplier of the domain name.... where the e-mail inbox is somewhere in the cloud. All this is rather painful as I have avoided Microsoft "functionality" since circa 1995, looks like I am going to have to get to grips finally with Outlook.
Graham,

I have been using Thunderbird for the last 10+ years. The UI is old-fashioned but the software is robust. It is easy to set up multiple email accounts, and rather usefully you can create local folders (typically on a local hard disk) to hold messages. So if you installed Thunderbird and set up a local folder named "Waitrose" or whatever, you could transfer all of your messages from their server to your hard drive, ready for refence after the end of the month.

You can have a @outlook.com email address without committing to MS Outlook. The Outlook mail servers support IMAP which I find useful as you can have email clients on multiple platforms e.g. desktop and phone, and the protocol keeps all the clients in sync with each other.

I have been using Zen Internet as my ISP for years too, very reliable and the technical support is always swift, helpful and perhaps above all in the UK.

Hope this helps.

ICH60

Western Thunderer
Graham
I have been using the idea of having a domain name then running a mail account to that name. I have been doing this for years, around 20 now.
There is always a possibility that the company you arrange your email server, which most likely will be the company that you taken the domain from from folding. I am with what was 1&1 but that was taken over by IONOS. I have 5 email address on my account. I think they give you 1 free email account with each domain. You get web mail as well. And you can set up virus filtering etc on each account via your account web site.

I run the email on IMAP and every year download last years emails on to my home computer for archive. I use IMAP as you can get the emails on all your devices.
I have my email set up on Apple Mail but I have set up a friend on Thunderbird.
IONOS has web pages showing how to set up the various mail clients.
Gmail, which I do not use, is the other option but never too sure who's reading them. But I do like that you can add an extension on your address say for each company you buy things from and you can see who giving your email address away.

Caggers

Western Thunderer
I have been with 1&1 for 15 years or so. I saw that switching ISPs would cause the problem you are having Graham so disconnected Email from ISP. Their support has been good...

Dog Star

Western Thunderer
I have to replace my laptop so as to access the Ionos e-mail storage... so no e-mail access at this time.

Maybe soon... so peaceful without the rubbish from diy-shops, utilities, local councils, suppliers or questionable materials...