Cambrian Railways Class 15 0-6-0

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
thought that I'd sneek this one in quietly. It was my therapy in getting back to soldering - a friend had built the tender and asked if I would do the loco.

It's a Javelin kit now marketed by Gladiator and I think that it came out after the same company had produced the GWR 844 class version and then produced the original bits - which was all very confusing as the etches are mainly for the 844 and the instructions - such as they are keep refering to the original! Drawings are in my opinion, incomplete and I would have been had pushed to identify parts and their location, had my friend not had a very good photo of the original.

The chassis went together very well, producing a rolling chassis straight away - with the rods fitted as well! Slater's plunger pick-ups were provided, but I ignored them and used a bus-bar arrangement epoxyed to the outside of the frames and added phosohor bronze wire wipers bearing on the tops of the treads.

The body presented few problems save as mentioned above - what went where?

The loco was finished in Halford's Acid #8 primer, given a good run at the club and handed over to it's owner for painting, lining and marrying up with the tender.

Attachments

• IMG_2372.JPG
    IMG_2372.JPG
    236.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2375.JPG
    IMG_2375.JPG
    242.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2376.JPG
    IMG_2376.JPG
    246.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2379.JPG
    IMG_2379.JPG
    199.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2371.JPG
    IMG_2371.JPG
    294.5 KB · Views: 16

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Hi JB and Cynric,

many thanks for the comments. The owner is in fact doing the painting and lining and as he said last night, still work in progress. He is one of the main men on the Johnston Road layout and has a wonderful Cambrian collection.

cheers

Mike

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Nicely done Mike. :bowdown: :bowdown: Another one I missed,  I hope the Gladiator kit I have in the pile has better instructions - Sir Sam Fay.

Jordan

Mid-Western Thunderer
Now I DO like the Crew positioning on that engine :bowdown: :thumbs: The driver holding the handrail is unusual (in model terms) and the Fireman facing backwards - often seen in real-life photos, but most model firemen are forever bent over furiously shoveling coal..!! Nice touches of observation!  :scratch:

Ressaldar

Western Thunderer
Rob Pulham said:
Nicely done Mike. :bowdown: :bowdown: Another one I missed,  I hope the Gladiator kit I have in the pile has better instructions - Sir Sam Fay.
Hi Rob,
This loco was a late Javelin kit, now marketed by Gladiator, don't know where Sam Fay fitted into the scheme of things with this arrangement. I built a Javelin Black 5 a few years ago and those instructions were quite good, but I think that they might have had the benefit of the David Andrews connection - at one time all three of these 'organisations' were together.

Hi Jordan,
the crew were fitted by the owner, who has a real gift of observation - a true artist.

cheers

Mike

Rob Pulham

Western Thunderer
Now that you mention it Sam Fay is one of the David Andrews designed kits. I was being a bit slow when I made the comment as I had enquired as to which was the better kit at the time (Gladiator had it on special offer which made their offering considerably cheaper). Ultimately finding out that they were the same kit.