C&L and Exactoscale and walnut sleepers

Clarence3815

Western Thunderer
Greetings.

I`m using walnut sleepers and exactoscale chairs. I am using diluted black ink in several layers to achieve a creosoted appearance. When I use butanone I`m getting a witness shiny line round the chairs which is presumably dried butanone.

Has anyone a method to avoid this please? Or is a question of disguising it when necessary?

Many thanks.

Tim Humphreys ex Mudhen

Western Thunderer
Are you staining the sleepers before gluing the chairs too them? Doing it the other way around can result in butanone on the sleeper around the chair which will not absorb the ink.

Tim

Greengiant

Western Thunderer
I imagine it is the butanone giving a slight coating to the sleeper, I would use weathering powders to knock this back.
Martin

Hayfield1

I was told that Butanone is more efficient than most solvents in sticking plastic chairs to wooden timbers and sleepers, as it dissolves small rubber particles in the plastic into the grain.

I assume ink does not have the ability to stick to the residue, but I have no idea as to what is making it turn white.

On untreated timbers does the white residue appear, or only on stained timbers?

Clarence3815

Western Thunderer
Its not a white line its a witness mark.

I`d looked at a video of Normon Solomon where he (if I recall correctly) just flooded the glue over the chair. Perhaps I should try just putting the butanone on the base of the chairs.

Clarence3815

Western Thunderer
Thank you.

I`ve just tried only putting butanone on the underside of the chairs on top of the staining.

Waiting for a secure bond presently.

I have seen it suggested to use a fine paintbrush and let the butanone `wick` round the chairs. I`ll try that as well.

I want to get this right!

Bernard

JimG

Western Thunderer
I have seen it suggested to use a fine paintbrush and let the butanone `wick` round the chairs. I`ll try that as well.
I have used a hypodermic syringe to apply butanone to chairs on plywood sleepers and I think it works a lot better than using a brush and bottle. The piston in the syringe seems to survive long term exposure to the butanone.

Jim.