Brushs Laser Cutting and 3d Printing workbench

J_F_S

Western Thunderer
Am I missing something? In most brick structures the mortar lines would be a lighter colour than the bricks, rather than darker. Maybe this building had a dark colourant added to the mortar?
That might often be true, but "most" is definitely not "all". Certainly where I come from (Southeast Lancashire) the use of black sand in mortar was very common, especially in structures built from hard engineering ("Nori") bricks. Here is a cruel close-up from a typical example:-

Brickwork.jpg

Despite appearances, it is not just a case of needing a re-point - the mortar actually is black. In models, the mortar colour seems to have a massively disproportional effect on how the finished brickwork turns out and personally, I think it merits careful consideration. That said, I have no idea what this prototype was originally like!!!

Pencarrow

Western Thunderer
That might often be true, but "most" is definitely not "all". Certainly where I come from (Southeast Lancashire) the use of black sand in mortar was very common, especially in structures built from hard engineering ("Nori") bricks. Here is a cruel close-up from a typical example:-

View attachment 211806

Despite appearances, it is not just a case of needing a re-point - the mortar actually is black. In models, the mortar colour seems to have a massively disproportional effect on how the finished brickwork turns out and personally, I think it merits careful consideration. That said, I have no idea what this prototype was originally like!!!

And the 70s built housing where I live all has a very red mortar - almost the same colour as the red brick. I know from experience it's a sod to try and match when work is done.

Lancastrian

Western Thunderer

View attachment 211806

Something I remember too and can still be seen on terraced properties where I grew up in Radcliffe and also seen in other towns like Bury and Bolton.

Tim Birch

Western Thunderer
Something I remember too and can still be seen on terraced properties where I grew up in Radcliffe and also seen in other towns like Bury and Bolton.
In 1883, the LYR issued a tender for a new subway at Birkdale station. The paragraph relating to brickworks stated
1710964773642.png

I suggest that this was a usual specification for 'ordinary' brickwork at the time and there is no reason (or evidence) to suppose that the LYR would do anything other than follow usual practice in such a mundane construction. As remarked above, this may have been a regional practice and I seem to remember seeing similar mortar specified by the LNWR.

(This full specification, and many other documents and infrastructure drawings can be found on the LYR Society's website under the 'Virtual Museum' heading.)

simond

Western Thunderer
Phil,

that’s rather nice!

it seems probable that there was a hatch allowing access to the tank (presuming the ladder has a purpose!) but I could find no documentary evidence thereof, and “imagineered” something for my rather larger water tank.

if you find anything, I’d be delighted to know what it looks like!

cheers
Simon

simond

Western Thunderer
Don’t paint them all blue, most are not painted, I think the blue ones are owned by a particularly possessive company…

Overseer

Western Thunderer
Don’t paint them all blue, most are not painted, I think the blue ones are owned by a particularly possessive company…
who run a very sensible pallet hire scheme that massively reduces consumption of timber and wastage of single use pallets. CHEP was started by the Australian government following WW2 using mountains of material left behind by US forces, as the Commonwealth Handling Equipment Pool. It was privatised in 1949 and purchased by Brambles in 1958. CHEP pallets will often be stacked separately to other pallets as they will be collected by CHEP for their next use, while someone works out what to do with all the other pallets.

Osgood

Western Thunderer
How the Australians dealt with the serious shortage of 40gall oil drums in the years following WW2 is also an interesting story - and one which gave birth to the Road Train (that's Bertha pulling it), told (with a lot more fascinating stories) in the book referenced below:

Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 08.50.08.png
A Son of the Red Centre.jpeg