Brunel's train shed at Wycombe to be restored

david bigcheeseplant

Western Thunderer
The original Brunel train shed/station at High Wycombe is to be restored to how it looked in 1854, with the later extensions removed and the glass ridge vent replaced.

I have been interested in the station for quite a few years and have been working with Chiltern Railways on aspects of the history and design of this building, although the plan have been in the public domain for a while the link below gives you all the information and drawing of how it will look when completed. In fact the architects have used my drawings for a basis of theirs!

http://idoxwam.wycombe.gov.uk/MULTIWAM/ ... /06025/FUL

work has started and the later extentions have now been demolished just leaving the core 1854 train shed, engine shed and passenger accomodation.

The station was only in use from 1854 till 1870 so was purely a broad gauge station, the design was copied at Thame in 1862 whose design is identical.

David

for some reason the photos have not resized, just click on them to see the full picture

Attachments

• wycombe003.jpg
    wycombe003.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 61
  • wycombe033.jpg
    wycombe033.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 60
  • wycombe034.jpg
    wycombe034.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 61
  • wycombe035.jpg
    wycombe035.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 60
  • wycombe041.jpg
    wycombe041.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 60

david bigcheeseplant

Western Thunderer
Yes I still plan to build a model of the station between 1854-1864, although Chiltern Railways wanted to comission me to build a 1/100 model for display purposes.

David

28ten

Guv'nor
david bigcheeseplant said:
Yes I still plan to build a model of the station between 1854-1864, although Chiltern Railways wanted to comission me to build a 1/100 model for display purposes.

David
and they wouldnt commission it in 4mm? :laugh:

westernfan

Western Thunderer
david bigcheeseplant wrote:

David

1/100 ? perhaps they are into tt gauge :lol: